NEcrewDOG

Lost dentures during tandem

Just in case you didn't know....yes....one can lose their dentures in freefall.

It's normal/necessary practice to ask your tandem passenger to leave their possessions on the ground if you think it's possible for he/she to lose them in freefall. Dentures are one of those things that we never really thought about. In the many years that we have done tandems, we've never ran across this before. We had a passenger this last weekend lose her dentures (upper jaw) during the fall. We couldn't detect when (you couldn't tell in the video). If they refuse to take them out...I'd instruct them to keep their mouth closed the entire time. Otherwise...it could be a really expensive skydive. :o

-Cory

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." -Jim Valvano

I can just imagine the farmer who lives next to the DZ standing in the middle of his field one day, looking at some teeth sticking out of the group...

"I wonder if one of them skydivers hit the ground and just exploded?"

:D

MB 3528, RB 1182

Chuck Blue and I had an AFF student that wore them. The guy who ran the school at the time asked him the dentures question as a matter of routine, and the student spent extra time (and extra Polident) making sure they would stay put. They did.

Chuck and I did not jump this student together, but we each had him on different levels. He did not continue - nothing to do with his teeth.
Arrive Safely

John

Just in case you didn't know....yes....one can lose their dentures in freefall.

I have a full set of dentures, the first time I jumped I was concerned about losing 'em. I would feel embarassed to have to take them out and store them in the locker before going up (I'm quite young to have them). I made sure to use adhesive before the load, which ensured they're not going anywhere even hours afterward.

Of course, one time I forgot and by then I was already rigged up ready to meet the plane. Jumped without adhesive and they stayed put, altho I recall clenching my jaw on exit. My advice is to either take 'em out or glue 'em in rather than let it be a distraction.