SkydiveNFlorida

AFF1 and AFF2 jumps this weekend. An account and some concerns. .

Hello Everyone! I just made my level 1 & 2 dives this weekend at Skydive Sebastian (Freefall Adventures) in Sebastian, FL. I had never jumped before. It was truly amazing. The place is great, i'm going to post more about them in the Places to Jump forum.

Here's an account of my dives, and then i'll follow with a couple of my concerns.

AFF1 (Sat 7-19) : 2 hrs sleep, super anxious, drove up to Sebastian. Met the super cool staff, and started my 6 hour Level 1 course. It was long, but very necessary and informative. Sometimes seemingly repetitive, but so very necessary.

Got up into the plane, felt comfortable and relaxed. Kept altitude aware, and went through the upcoming dive in my head. When we came to 13500ft, they opened the door, and people started jumping one by one, I would be last as the L1 student. I saw how these people jumped out like it was nothing, and it built my confidence to do the same.

Jumped, and flying! Wow!! Amazing!!! Never felt such a feeling of euphoria. Mouth went from dry to watering, body in flight, I felt invincible! Ok, position, circle of awareness... my legs were too in (about 90degrees), took advice, straightened out, but somehow ended up with them too bent again later. Did test pulls, circle of awareness, stared at the camera man and made funny faces, haha. Oh, yeah, tap tap, altitude check. Another.. Another.. Ok, 6000ft lock on, 5500ft, wave off, pull(a little harder than anticipated, but did it just fine)!! Weeee, flying up up up, head wasn't back enough, but just fine. Oh, yeah, check canopy... All is perfect. ahhh, relax, control check, relax. My landing wasn't the best, I was a bit crosswind, and flared a bit too late.,.. also picked my feet up. But, landed ok, got up, went in.

AFF2 (Sun 7-20-03): Yay!! Already looking fwd to another day in paradise. School was a breeze, right turn, left turn, forward. Was having some problems looking before turning, and those ended up following me to the jump, but not that bad. On the plane, going up up.. wondering if i'd remember to do my 2 test pulls, and how I would do on my turns, and if I could do a better landing. . Check in, out, up down jump! Weeee!! Again I was flying! Arch, relax, Circle of awareness, fix position into a better arch, two test pulls, alti check, right turn (started turning then realized to look right), alti check, left turn (again, started turning, but quickly followed in looking left), ok, alti check... forward movement (I didn't even feel this, not sure it worked, haha), alti check, second fwd movement... ok, alti check, 8500ft, nothin left to do. . I was signaled to check alti, did, I was signaled to do a circle of awareness, but failed to do that, guess I was just not seeing it. Alti check, nearing 7000, past 7000... look away, look back, 6000 lock on, 5500 wave, pull! Off I go! Yay! Better pull this time, more strength. Oh, yea, check canopy... looking up, lines were twisted, I got them untwisted, slider down, all is well. . I spot what I think is our airfield, but it is not, and I was eventually told to turn toward the airfield. I did, it was right under me compared to the other. Took landing instructions on radio. . Ended up in a nice turn toward the wind for landing, except, fearing i'd flare too late, I flared too soon. I held it, and landed pretty hard. Got up, went in.

Reviews were good, they said I did great. I was happy to hear this. The only problems were those I already was aware of. I am kinda concerned that i'll never learn how to land this thing properly[:/]. I need to get a better plan of what i'll do to get to final approach, when i'm in the air, coming down. I need to learn to flare more appropriately, and to stare at a 45degree angle rather than down. Those are my only concerns. I feel pretty comfortable in free fall, and with exit. Also comfortable turning the canopy, though not so much as when falling.

Thanks for listening to my story. Thanks to everyone here who answered questions for me, and who welcomed me to the hobby. This is awesome, i'm completely broke and am still so happy. I am just waiting for the $$ to get back up there for Level 3. !

Angela.

Who cares about the jumps!!! Did you make it to Captain Hirams?!?!?!?

Just kidding. Dont be too hard on yourself...it takes practice to figure out landings when you first start out. That is why they put you on radio!!! Listen to your instructors. They can give you your best input as to your issues. It will come, just keep your ears open...and dont forget to bring smokes next time!!!;)

Hey welcome to our world and good luck with your training. I hope you stick around as we need more people like you. Don't be afraid to ask questions here, but be leary of some of the answers (in other words trust your instructors and coaches more than us here on dropzone.com).

Also, look up Sunnydee123 (Denise) as she's a Sebastian skydiver and fellow DZ.comer. She's still pretty new to the sport. She started in February if I remember correctly, but she's made about 150 jumps in that time, and I'm sure she can help you out getting to know some of the Sebastian people once you're ready to jump with others. But I think Sunnydee is still in CrossKeys jumping with an important person in her life right now. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

sounds cool, man! Now hurry up through your AFF so you can do some relative work with me! ;)

Ask as many questions as you can to your instructors and learn as much as possible. Just soak it all in, dude. And have FUN! :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Glad that you had a great time. I have come to the realization that learning to skydive, is much like everything else, and you only get better with practice, and experience.

I'm a L5 student now, and I tend to be hard on myself if i mess something up, but I try to not let it get me down. The goal is to have fun and learn how to fly your body. I have sat down more landings than I have stood so no big deal there ;)

Glad you had a good time, blue skies!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Skyslut, Haha, yep, made it to Hiram's twice. Awesome chill place. I wrote a bit about it in the Places 2 jump forum. So, um, I bummed a smoke from ya? :) Sorry. My girls left me all alone, with no $$, and no cigs, I forgot to ask since I was so excited. Man, just trying to remember who'w who. So, who r u, ? (smoking catapillar voice).

Canuck, thanks for the welcome and the tips. I'll message her when I see her post (when she gets back I suppose). thx!

Andy, u r faar. But, i'm gonna do my best to get through this asap. As soon as i've got some $$ to burn, you can guess where i'll be at;)

Fast, boy is it ever good to hear that i'm not the only one who considers landing to be difficult. I had my feet down the second time, but boy, it was a pretty hard landing, I think I probly flared at about 20ft.

Can't wait to get back out there and start perfecting things! Thx again!

Angela .

oh, yep, I do recall, tho not you. You gotta come up and say hi next time, k? ! I am hoping to close on the sale of my condo this week, if I do, then I might make it back out there this wknd. But, I have to move a coral reef tank from my mothers house to mine, so, we'll see if I can get the time. (hmm, if I move tank fri starting at midnight, I can sleep 2 hrs, drive to DZ, yep, ok, I can make the time, haha. ) Just waitin' on the $$.

Angela.

Hi Angela! :)

You know, when I first jumped (also AFF1), my BF at the time (of 5 years), didn't have the money or desire to skydive. He was a hard-core surfer and rockclimber (like me) before that. After I began to skydive, he and I also broke up. He just didn't understand me anymore. My relationship had been on the road to ending and after my skydive, I couldn't relate to him anymore. (He also had just returned into the military lifestyle...so many changes!)

Afterwards, I began dating a skydiver whom I knew from climbing and had been very close friends with for about 6 years. He and I sadly have broken up, too. This is very unlike me to have a relationship end so quickly. Amyway, I understood that you and your ex broke up just before your first jump. It reminded me of myself! Btw, be careful and smart at the DZ. Skydivers can be very...ahem...friendly with us newer girls.

Good luck with all your classes, and welcome to this wonderful new world! Like I asked before...when are you coming to California!?! You're welcome to PM me anytime!

"I am kinda concerned that i'll never learn how to land this thing properly..."

Common fear - you'll get it - congrats!!!

Your awareness is commendable (sp? yah right)! Awareness/visualizatoin is 90 percent of the sport IMHO so you are on track to becoming a great jumper if you are already remembering the details you've pointed out!

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

"I am kinda concerned that i'll never learn how to land this thing properly..."

Common fear - you'll get it - congrats!!!

Your awareness is commendable (sp? yah right)! Awareness/visualizatoin is 90 percent of the sport IMHO so you are on track to becoming a great jumper if you are already remembering the details you've pointed out!

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

:)

I read two goals here; one is to "make whoopee in flight" and the other is more $$ for jumping.

You should know that there are some DZ's that believe its inapproproriate to exchange "whoopee in flight" for jumps. ;)

Keep your eyes at 45 degrees in front of you instead of looking between your feet to flare. You'll flare at the more appropriate height. If you look straight down, you'll flare too high.

be careful and smart at the DZ. Skydivers can be very...ahem...friendly with us newer girls.

lol she has a big brother to watch over her. :P But I'll let you girls tell her about all the rotten stuff we guys can do. (They'd kill me if I told) ;) When she gets through training I have a feeling she's going to be a real skydive junkie.

;) yeah! I've been waiting on this closing for ever! Just glad to finally be rid of the condo, now I can pay some debt, and focus on other things. Now, if I can just pass calculus, all summer goals will have been accomplishedB|

Oh, and, I need advice like, dive light, lol!! Seeing as though I have such problems with landing and all, haha!! Hope I can get it right this time. I'll play around a bit more in flight to see how the canopy reacts. Note to self: Stare 45degrees down. . The grounds is not nearly as close as it appears, lol!

thx for the encouragement!
angela.

Dive light? Hmmmmmmmm....Avoid fast food:)

Your landings will improve with each jump Girl. In no time, you'll be mastering them ;). Try to find out the best way to apply the brakes , from slow to hard and see which one feels the better. Since you are going to feel for your canopy reaction, try to find out how it reacts to sharp turns, put it through its paces, and at a SAFE altitude PLEASE B| I don't want to go to FL to bring you flowers in a hospital, I'd rather go for a 2 or 3 or more way B|

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,