andie2skydive

3 reserve rides in 50 jumps?

What is this telling me. I love the sport

well, it tells you that you have your emergency procedures down allright. but for futher analazation, we would have to know what kind of mal it was that caused the canopy swaps. ie: line over, streamer, baglock, pc in tow? if you thinking the "sky diving gods" are telling you not to jump, then you jumping to the wrong conclusions. could've been just overreaction?
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Cutaways from what kind of mals? And I assume the 3rd was a Cypres fire?

Joe

First was a line over ceneter cell right off Aff, 2nd was seaver line twists. and third got the reserve out before cypres fired but we think that malfuntioned also. estimated pull Alt was somewhere around 1800 feet. Was jumping a rental rig that was for student use.

First was a line over ceneter cell right off Aff,

i guess you didnt pack it? that is mostlikely due to a poor pack job

2nd was seaver line twists.

could be to poor packing. if the stows werent on correctly or if the bag was twisted while putting it in. most of the time I would say its poor body position

and third got the reserve out before cypres fired but we think that malfuntioned also. estimated pull Alt was somewhere around 1800 feet. Was jumping a rental rig that was for student use.

hard pull..yikes. could be multiple things here. did they ever look at the rig and find anything worng with it? if you were open by 1800 then youre doing good! keep it that way;)

edit well when did you try to open! usually newer jumpers are strill pulling around 45oo. remember if you are fighting with your hackey/ripcord for 2000ft. you may not have the altitude to get the reserve open if you started pulling at 2500ft. for info purposes..when did you try to pull and what were the chain of events? did you know what alti you were at when you decided to go for your reserve?
My photos

My Videos

hard pull..yikes. could be multiple things here. did they ever look at the rig and find anything worng with it? if you were open by 1800 then youre doing good! keep it that way;)

The Faa rigger on the dz looked and the rig was converted from a ripcord to a BOC and he says that had somthing to do with it.

He also said that he was glad someone with 50 jumps used it before a student on an aff 1

My wave off was at 5000 tried 0nce tuged twice nothing Went at it again and I that was the first of many errors . In the procees of doing this I filled on my back at somewhere in the Alt of 3000 Agl. Righted my self and went for the silver , only after thinking this is way low the people look like cockroaches insted of ants. After that all I remember is a minute to 45sec canopy ride.

yea I can see how that can be very scary. flipping onto your back isnt good.
you have to keep your body position when pulling.
I KNOW you were freaked abou tthe hard pull but that is when it counts most.;)

youve obvioulsy got the reserve rides down pat.:D

what have you dzo/intructors say? I can sit here and post my theory all day but they are ultimately the ones who should be able to point out what may have happened. Im no skygod. Hell Ive never even had a reserve ride. but Ive been around to see and understand them! I've studied the "what to do's" in every situation. the good thing is that you have landed safely each time. its a high number of reserve rides for so few jumps. ( it must get expensive as hell)
I would go through the sceneraio in my head and ask questions (LIKE YOU ARE, HERE;)) and choose your best advice. thats why this site is so awesome.

Have they told you they thought your body pos. needed to be looked at?
were you doing solos jumps or coach? this doesnt mean much in the grand aspect of things but I am curious if someone watched you as you deployed on any of these jjumps
My photos

My Videos

I was up on a coach jump the presons also an aff instructor and when we got down and discovered that we were okay he looked at me and said

" that was one hell of a jump and as far as i'm concerned your good to go on your own"

I guess when you can cover all aspects of skydiving in one jump who wouldn't be able to do this again

lol ! well if he felt good about your ability thats good!

I would work on those things though. have a plan next time.
Like. If i have a hard pull. I will watch my alti as I pull (it should be in front of your face anyway. just dont get FIXATED)
if I cant pull by (SET YOUR COMFORT ALTITUDE) then I will go to reserve etc.

have you done many practice pulls?
when I frist started I got line twists alot. I did a few jumps with nothing but practice pulls.
I would get out, get stabile and practice pulling. I would see if I could stay stable in the postion for a few seconds! I also worked on keeping a good heading and readin my alti on these jumps! fiarly simple tasks but if your they are your weak spots then you should try something like it

good luck!
btw- are you packing your own chute yet?
Id imagine your still renting? either way be particular abou tthe wqay you pack your chute it can prevent ALOT of troubles:ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

no prob.
but dont just take my advice;)
its good to have that plan but keep asking questions. you may have to adjust your plan in the midst of it[:/]

keep learning, and have fun!
btw- why did you delete your orig post?
My photos

My Videos

Stability at pull time is good, but if you are below your pull altitude, it's time to pull regardless of stability.

Mark

VERY GOOD POINT! I didnt even think to mention that!
see andy thats why is good to have a discussion about these things!:D what one may miss the other will bring up
My photos

My Videos

That's the whole thing I was stable and good could reach the handle and all but I think I froze when I fliped on my back. Should I have pulled then?

its not ideal top pull on your back but as Mark said if you are running out of time you NEED SOMETHING over your head.
My photos

My Videos