skydog834

Gear Sellers beware

I have my gear listed for sale in the classifieds and have recieved some offers from Russia. They asked to pay me by credit card but I refused.

Has anyone had any experience selling gear to people from Russia? Itold them that I would only accept payment by PayPal or money order.

any help or info would surly be appreciated.

Blue Skies,

Glenn in Alaska

errrr...can't they use a credit card to pay through pay pal?

Only if they have a premium account & pay the fees, and then the transaction goes from CC to buyers paypal account, then from buyers paypal account to sellers... but I'm guessing that if it's a stolen card or something, it could still hose up the seller... paypal had a horrible rep for holding up peoples funds in cases like this, and I don't know if those problems have disappeared since Ebay bought them.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

From Russia? I'd only accept an international money order in US funds, or a wire transfer. Just too much fraud going on there right now... No offense to our Russian brethren, but it's true. :(
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Thanks for the info. Since I posted this msg. I received another email saying his friend in Washington would call me to arrange the sale. Also another Russian.

Skydog834

A couple words: certified funds

A couple words: certified funds

A few more words: Bank Wire Transfer

Dont know... I'm not a banking expert, but the least people hout there with any of my banking details, the better off I fell. I'd rather waith for a certified check or money order to be delieved snail mail rather then giving my account info...... or do I not understand the data you need to give for a wire transfer?
Remster

Dont know... I'm not a banking expert, but the least people hout there with any of my banking details, the better off I fell. I'd rather waith for a certified check or money order to be delieved snail mail rather then giving my account info...... or do I not understand the data you need to give for a wire transfer?

I use what is called a clearing or sweep account. As soon as the funds hit the account they are transferred to another account. I have used this system for over ten years and have never had a problem.

My mate has got a pay pal account and he pays money into it from his credit card. He doesnt pay any fees. He pays pay pal and they pay the seller. Should be ok...?

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

I don't know a whole bunch about international money transfers, but what about an escrow service? They receive the money, you send your gear via certified mail, and so you have proof that you sent it, and the escrow service then gives the money to you... minus a fee

MB 3528, RB 1182

I sold my cobalt to a guy in Novosibirsk, Russia in May and the only real acceptable way to do this is via wire transfer to your bank account. I had no problems with my transaction. This is the fastest and the most secure way to conduct bussiness as there is a lot of credit card fraud in that country at this time. Once the funds were received I sent the canopy to the requested mailing location insured.

:ph34r:Lip
blic, blic, caw,caw