drenaline

Rigger certification Q.

I was told that the Laps reserves that were made, were use for on specific aircraft that they didn't have any room to put the parachute anywhere else so they came up with it.
The Information was given to me by a DPRE.

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

Lap type parachutes were only manufactured during the 1930s. They were only built for a handful of bomber-type aircraft with an obscure form of gun turret that was too cramped to allow for standard back, seat or chest type parachutes. Since that type of turret never reached main-stream production during World War Two, lap type parachutes quietly disappearred from the planet.
In modern days, I have seen a handful of chest/lap type parachutes built by Butler etal. for really cramped aerobatic biplanes and a Bede 5. The biplane owners were considerably larger than the designer and the Bede 5 cockpit is so tight that (designer) Jim Bede cannot sit in it! Hee! Hee!

I head a rumor a few years ago that there was an old lap parachute and someone with the rating here in Michigan.

Funny...I heard the same campfire story about a guy here in California. We were all lined up to add the rating, but it never materialized...maybe the guy moved to Michigan ;)

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Hee! Hee!
I heard the same rumor, but involved a pair of elderly sisters who lived in Colorado. Apparently they packed lap type parachutes back when they were in fashion.
It is probably easier to design and sew your own lap type parachute and convince a DPRE that you know how to pack it.
Hee! Hee!

Building one isn't the problem, packing one isn't the problem, it's getting someone who is actually certified to sign off the damn paperwork so you can turn it in!...

The FAA doesn't know a Lap rig from a Back rig from an Avocado. All they want are the signatures to keep their asses out of court if you screw up...but where to get that signature from...:P

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."