alanab

shady people selling gear?

What is up with my situation?? ok, I am looking to buy a used spectre 170 for my first canopy so I look a lot on here for one. I found one advertised, but it was being sold with an entire rig, so i emailed the seller and he agreed to sell it separately to me. i send him the money and he sends the canopy to my dz.... only when i got it, it was a shilouette!! this dude totally lied in his ad and sold me a different canopy. when i called him out on it, he got pissed at ME, and told me i had to pay him back his shipping expense. he went on to tell me how my "aggressiveness" toward him was breaking the code of skydivers... but isnt that what he did by being dishonest in the first place? my check wasnt cashed yet though, so thats a good thing. but in my short experience with buying used gear online, it seems to have proven to be not so cool. i have found a few shady sellers out there and this situation just made me so upset that i had to get it up here to see what other people think and if anyone else has experienced something like this? what is the deal? any thoughts??

ask them to send the merchandise so your rigger can inspect it before you send the money. It helps to deal with shady sellers. Of course what if they think youre a shady buyer? :P

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

STOP PAYMENT ON YOUR CHECK IMMEDIATELY and mail the asshole back his canopy. Shipping and the stop payment will both cost you, but not as much as that check if he cashes it. Oh, and take two witnesses with you when you ship the thing back to him.

And definitely lodge a complaint with this site, they'll be more than happy not to carry this jerk's ads anymore, they care about stuff like that.

"Breaking the code of skydivers", my ass...bust his.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Use a reputible go between. Most riggers/lofts will be willing to do this for you, and they will be able to inspect the gear for you. If the seller will not do agree to this sort of thing, walk on. Some of the major dealer out there also have used inventory. PM me for details.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

That deal was completely wrong, but for what it's worth, the silhouette is a better canopy than the spectre, IMHO. I friggin loved mine.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

does anyone think i should really ship it back to him and say paid by address??

Well, ship it back to him, Dont keep the canopy as then you'd be the one out of line. And yes, ship it with the shipping cost to the receiver. He tried to fandangle you, dont take any shit.
Remster

does anyone think i should really ship it back to him and say paid by address??

Definitely ship it back. It would be bad ju-ju to keep a canopy that you didn't pay for.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

In my opinion I think he definitely needs to pay for shipping since he didn't send you what you agreed upon in the first place. That was a pretty rotten thing to do.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I actually just purchased a used Odyssey off of the classified section here at dropzone.com. The harness and container was everything that she said it would be, an I absolutely love it. Just to let you know that eveyone is not shady, but I will keep that in mind while I am looking for the canopies to put inside of it. Thanks for the heads up!! :)

I know not all sellers are shady. I have had enough sucessful purchases off this website to know that... but I have also run into 3 (now) shady encounters.

just be careful who you buy from, even if they seem nice and sincere (they usually do), dont be fooled:o

his user name is jacare. this is the ad i responded to:

For Sale: Racer Elite 450/450 S+1 Spectre 170, PD 143, 40 ju
Posted on: Wed Jun 18 2003 Expires on: 2003-08-17
Posted By: Jacare (Jacare) All user's Ads
Angleton , Texas, United States
Brand new container, less then 40 jumps. Pull out sistem. Nice colours. Good rig for begginers. Main= Tangerine, magenta.

I got a tangerine and magenta shilouette 170!?!

The silhouette is a 9-cell semi-elliptical (tapered tail) canopy that has a zp topskin and an f1-11 bottom skin. It's very easy to pack because of the combination of fabrics. My silhouette was my first canopy, and I was jumping it immediately after a snivelly, slow-flying Spectre. The Spectre bored the shit out of me, but I could fly the hell out of the silhouette. I learned to swoop on that canopy and it served me well. It now serves a buddy very well. I have not heard a single complaint from anybody who's ever flown a silhouette. I think that people just tend to shy away from them because they are part f1-11 in an all-zp world.

Read the silhouette reviews in the gear section. There are some direct comparisons between the two canopies in there. I wrote my review almost two years ago. I haven't changed my mind since.:D

Good luck with your situation tho. That is not good business by any means.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

That's ad's a bit sketchy.
Why not ship by something like FedEx; they have an option where the receiver pays the S&H costs.

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

so... he CAN refuse the shipping costs, right? but that means that the canopy gets sent back to the return address on the package, and then i have to pay ffor the shipping and i am stuck with the canopy that i will still have to send to him sometime, right?

so... he CAN refuse the shipping costs, right? but that means that the canopy gets sent back to the return address on the package, and then i have to pay ffor the shipping and i am stuck with the canopy that i will still have to send to him sometime, right?

*evilgrin* Make the return address his address
Fly it like you stole it!