jerry81

Ouch...sometimes "zero flare" actually means that

In retrospect, this was kinda stupid, really, but since I usually fly an Impulse 135 I didn't think a Sabre [email protected] would be a problem.

It actually wouldn't have been, except for the fact that the guy I borrowed it from was not one of those who exaggerate when they say "It's beat to shit and has no flare at all". Still, I'm happy to report I was right believing I can land it without hurting myself. Although the ground has never rushed up at me that fast before (at least not without some front riser input), I didn't panic and started my flare at what I felt was the right time for the no wind conditions, got dirty and walked away with a small stain on what would otherwise have been a great first birdman jump.

The only bruised thing now is my ego...I don't know if the landing could have gone any better (I tried flaring a few times up in the air and while it did slow me down, it seemed to have very little effect on my angle...no levelling off, no noticeable swinging forward), but I combined two new things on one jump (wingsuit and main canopy), something I knew before was bad juju. I should have insisted on jumping with the Impulse (even the wingsuit manual advises a canopy you're used to for your first flight), but I thought I'd rather try a square, just in case I get a funky opening. I should have payed more attention to the fact the owner has 50lbs less than me and says the landings are hard. I guess I shouldn't even be writing this since I'll probably get way more flames than constructive replies (if any can be written at all), but still I thought I'd share.
Learning hurts!

Huh i won't say anything. It looks like you know now that it was a dumb thing to do.

I just hope that you realised that you're not pro canopy pilot just yet after all ;)

Now please stop doing stupid things and concentrate on what's really important... FREEFLY B|

p.s. How was the birdman?
"George just lucky i guess!"

Ohh...someone cares. Thanks guys!:P
The wingsuit rocked, but I'd need a few more jumps just to get used to the feeling.

As for my piloting skills- it's pretty clear to me there's still lots to learn, but I'd really like to see an experienced pilot land this same canopy at the same wl with the same straight-in approach and then hear his comments on where I screwed up. Too bad there aren't that many around.

flame, flame (feeling burnt enough?? ) :P
wow,
FLAME, I wanna live forever, I wanna learn how to fly, HIGH !
could be the words for a song couldn't it ??:P
well, now you have some good advice for newbies on wigsuits. I wondered what canopy I will jump for my first wingsuit jump, between my Saphire2 139, my Sabre1 150, and a Spectre 135 which I never flew... gotta try this one before jumping the suit.:)
hope you really liked the suit and will continue flying high
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Huh i don't think there is such canopy pilot in Slovenia.

But i guess most of the advices you'd get would be:
get away from that canopy it's too old and too porosive to land softly. unles you'd do a high performance landing. but as you said, there aren't many good canopy pilots around. [:/]

And about Uros, well he's simply brainless (just kidding) :D

p.s. Wait a couple of years or a little more, and i'll try it, if i won't kill myself swooping before ;)
"George just lucky i guess!"