danebert

Barrel Rolls

When I do them I extend my arms straight to the side, then say I want to roll left, i throw my left arm arcross my chest. I begin to roll. About half way through the roll, i throw my right armm under my chest and extend my left. Voila!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

In a track you only have to stick a hand out a little way and kind of twist your torso and shoulders and you'll go over nice and quick. I suppose you'd probably call it more of a snap roll. It's fun.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

In a track you only have to stick a hand out a little way and kind of twist your torso and shoulders and you'll go over nice and quick. I suppose you'd probably call it more of a snap roll. It's fun.

With my long arms... any sticking of one hand out in a track induces a helicopter like action. I just twist my shoulders and torso. That flips me over real quicklike.

We ( us down here in southern California) have this little thing we do being saftey conscience and what not, where we incorperate a barrel roll in order to check our air space beforer we pitch.
I am sure it has been thought of way before my time but in saying I think it would be good technique to practice and I am rather surprised it's not included in the Licence for the UK...
Shocker!!!:o

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

We ( us down here in southern California) have this little thing we do being saftey conscience and what not, where we incorperate a barrel roll in order to check our air space beforer we pitch.

That's what I thought too, but apparently it's a controversial point. Take a look at my poll regarding barrel roll (in safety I think, can't remember). Quite a number of people were arguing why it's better not to do tehm.

I do a barrel roll by dipping my shoulder slightly. Mostly I do it at the end of a track, or out the door of the plane. Pulling about 4 barrell rolls out the plane while keeping an eye on it is kind of a rush. Of course, it only works if you are freeflying an exit. RW jumpers dont like it if you try to twist a 4-way.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

Hmm okay 21 jumps here and I did my first barel roll on jump 21 B|

I threw one arm under my chest but the thing I noticed it wasn't the 'cleanest' of barel rolls :$

It felt as if my chest was wanting to turn but my legs wanting to stay stable to the ground... I was thinking: do you have to close your legs or something to make it more err elegant ???

thanks for any help

do you have to close your legs or something to make it more err elegant ???

thanks for any help

Yes. Straighten them and bring them in slightly

"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

Barrel rolls while tracking are easy. Barrel rolls from a stable position are more difficult, especially if you want to finish on the same heading you started on.
After years of struggling with American-style barrel rolls, I learned how to do French Rolls and have never looked back.
A French roll starts in a regular boxman position. Begin by straightening your legs and pointing your toes, then grab an imaginary ball on the horizon. While reaching for the imaginary ball, twist your shoulders in the direction you want to roll. For example: if you want to roll to the right, grab the bottom of the imaginary ball with your right hand. Your left hand grabs the top of the imaginary ball. The faster you reach for the imaginary ball, the faster you will roll, because French Rolls are all about momentum.

I learned how to do French Rolls and have never looked back.

Tried this out this weekend... sweet! It's cool that it naturally has you looking forward (toward your hands), so you watch the horizon spin as you go around on your axis.

I suggest this be called a "baguette" (a French roll with a long axis).

I overheard a JM this weekend explaining to a new A guy how to do one.

He said that he puts his hands out in front of him like he is gripping a steering wheel, then act as though you turn the wheel really fast, and also use your waist for torque. And I quote "it flips you right around".

The guy who was saying this has well over 2,000 jumps, so I'd say his word is at least worth a try.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!