quade

Felix Baumgartner to Cross the Channel -- Press Release

According to http://www.worldlingo.com/wl/Translate this means....

Thursday July 31, 2003 - 8h06 an Austrian parachutist makes a success of the crossing of the English Channel in free fall Photograph not gone back to Felix Baumgartner in free fall [ © AFP/Archives Off ] CALAIS [ AFP ] - an Austrian parachutist equipped with a carbon aileron made a success of Thursday morning the crossing in free fall of the 34 km of the English Channel between Dover (Great Britain) and Calais (Pas-de-Calais) after a jump with 9.000 meters of altitude.

Felix Baumgartner, 34 years, jumped of a plane to 06h09 to the vertical of Dover then fell during ten minutes at a speed of more than 200 km/h, before opening its parachute with approximately 1.000 m with the top of the Cape White-nosed monkey, in the west of Calais, where it was posed with 06h23.

The parachutist of the extreme - which took off of Calais on board a Skyvan- twin-engine used a respiratory assistance at the beginning of its fall and took on a special combination at an altitude where the temperature is lower than -50°. The air controllers had granted a half an hour old to him crenel - of 05h45 with 06h15 - so that it can carry out its exploit.

Felix Baumgartner checks his equipment Wednesday [ © AFP Philippe Huguen ] to obtain a maximum horizontal displacement at the time of his fall and to thus cross about thirty kilometer of sea, Felix Beaumgartner had fixed on its back an aerodynamic triangular carbon fibre aileron of a scale of 1,80 m.

"All the conditions were met for this jump. I felt like a bird. In spite of some problems of rope and a fabric which tore, the experiment was fantastic ", declared the Austrian little after his landing.

The flying Austrian, who had prepared for three years this bet of crossing of the English Channel baptized "Icare II", indicated without them to specify that it had already other projects at the head.

The man, former automobile mechanic, carried out various exploits of jump in parachute, since the Christ of Rio (the jump low, 29 meters), since the twin towers of Kuala Lumpur (451 meters), or since a mount of the Canadian island of Baffin in the sea (1.500 meters).

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

Good point. The BBC site is the best (pics and video). Have a look at the video "arrived ahead of schedule" hmmmm. Look at his jumpsuit and gloves.... so you jumped and did glide at 30 K at minus 40 Celsius with that on (and reported speed of 120 Miles/h +). I agree "smells of bullshit".

BTW you can see on pics he is wearing birdman suit pants. His landing is real crap :P
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Mr Baumgartner did not explain how he planned to get the requisite case of wine and 40 packets of cigarettes back to Dover.

They pay cases of wine?! B| Over here it's cases of beer...
I like the wine idea!!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The streaming video has now been updated to incorporate images from his exit and onboard cameras, including his opening and "the tangled cord".

My favourite quote,

"And now the massive publicity opeartion begins"

Also a new diary style article on the BBC website.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Remi's right. Good, cheap, German wine.

HEY! just drank the last of the Lalande Pomerol I bough in Calais 2 years ago for 3 squids a bottle (thanks to the cashier lady of fubared the price! lol)... I'd called that DAMM cheap DAMM good French wine:P
Remster

There's a vote on cnn...

Which do you think is the best description of Austrian Felix Baumgartner's skydive across the English Channel?
An act of stupidity
Another glorious chapter in the history of flight?
An attention-seeking episode?
Sounds like fun, sign me up!

At the moment, "An attention-seeking episode" is in the lead, maybe these muggles aren't as clueless as they seem ;).

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Can't a few wingsuiters get together and do a flock-dive across the channel (like the dutch Texel>Den Helder crossing in holland, that Jari and a few other guys did a while back) and promote wingsuits that way, and also trash felix by saying that they where using their body as a wing, and not a glider strapped to their backs...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

From BBC:
It has also put this rather earnest daredevil into the record books for the first human flight unaided and unpowered across the 21 miles of the English Channel - or 35km if you prefer.
From CNN:
First person to Skydive across the English Channel

Ok ! It's a remarkable feat and very impressive but my questions is
(A) Does this really qualify as a record for unassisted and unpowered flight of 21 miles since using the delta wings is being in the same league as paragliders and hanggliders, with the difference that this wing is not efficient enough to take you up. The records for paragliders and hanggliders I'm sure are much more than 21 miles.

(B) The CNN claim that he skydived across the channel. Well, not quite because the take off ( or launch ) may have started as a skydive but flying with the assistance of a carbon fiber wing should take it out of the category of a skydive, shouldn't it ?

B) The CNN claim that he skydived across the channel. Well, not quite because the take off ( or launch ) may have started as a skydive but flying with the assistance of a carbon fiber wing should take it out of the category of a skydive, shouldn't it ?

Agreed, i bet if he had used a paraglider and jumped out of a balloon at 30'000ft over Dover,
he would probably have made it back home to Austria.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

The streaming video has now been updated to incorporate images from his exit and onboard cameras, including his opening and "the tangled cord".

I've capped the two main news channel reports here in the UK and they're in a better format than the streaming ones you may have seen. I've uploaded them to skydivingmovies.com:

BBC (5.81 MB)
ITV (5.36 MB)

Also, can anyone see a problem with the slider in the attached image that would have required Felix to hack it in two?

Edit: fixed links...again