bloodbpos

trouble landing

Can anyone just give me some tips on my landing?

The landing is fine but I always seem to be too far out. I don't know why, there's no seeable reason why I end up so far, I just do....maybe I'm not reading the wind and forward motion of my canopy?

Hell I don't know....help me someone please and save me having to hike in from the outfield

Jase

How many jumps do you have? Is there anyone you can get with at your DZ to help you with this problem? What are the conditions you mostly jump in? If anything get with you instructor and get him to work on this problem with you. I recommend when asking for help try to give a little history about yourself, that way it can give the reader a picture of your experience and where and wht conditions you jump in.. At the very basic, observe other experienced flyers with good habbits their landing patterns and taylor to your needs.

seeing that you haven't got many jumps first of all talk with the DZO or your instructor about landing patterns and such. If you see your self going way past your "ideal" landing area you can always do "S" turns to slow your horizontal distance and then set up for you landing.
1st rule though, don't "S" turn low and any landing even if past your "ideal spot" is a good landing

The people of Performance Designs have posted a document on their website that describes a technique called the ' accuracy trick'. What it comes down to is looking down and finding the spot on the ground that remains at the same viewing angle while you descend to the ground. That spot is then likely to become your landing spot. It continues by providing some tips on how to reach a spot that isn't at that initial location. Hope that'll help.

To read the article, go to http://www.performancedesigns.com/education.asp and click on the link titled: 'Survival Skills for Canopy Control' The article has actually a somewhat wider scope: it provides various tips for any moment between your tracking to the moment you land.

When I was just getting started with my SL I had the same issues... The landings were good, but the pattern how to fly to/above the DZ was not completely clear for me.

I have one advice 4 you: ask a instructor at your DZ, because I think this isn't easy to explain without a little drawing and without he possibility of direct feedback

BTW. I just had a mega deja-vu by typing this reply in this situation ... [:/]