ChrisG

Reserve Too small?

Yes. To all your questions. I am lucky. The more experience I get, the luckier I am.

A tight spot is irrelevant if you can put the canopy down where you want to. Not need to.

Higher loading is of benefit in higher winds, but I don't jump in winds stonger than 15kts. Ever.

Tall trees (or any other object) directly up wind will only affect you if its windy. Read my last paragraph.

There is always next weekend to jump - but only if you make it through this one. I've been jumping over 18 years. I'm in no hurry.

You have a problem with small reserves. I don't.

t

t
It's the year of the Pig.

First you say that you did land your reserve under high winds, then you say you never jump in high winds.

Whats with that?

You have no problem with a highly loaded reserve and I respect that, but what about someone just buying their first rig, would you recommend that to them?

Why do you have such a highly loaded reserve?
You are WAY beyond what all the reserve mfgs. say is the maximum loading acceptable for proper performance.
Was it to make your rig smaller, or is there some other reason that I dont understand?

Chris

>Yes. To all your questions. I am lucky. The more experience I get,
>the luckier I am.

"Luck" is what you need to survive based on random chance. "Skill" is what you need to survive based on your competence and experience. They are pretty different things.

I am troubled by a new injury category thats blossoming which is, 'Injured when landing a good reserve'. It seems to be happening more and more lately. The people its happening to are jumping highly loaded reserves.
These injured jumpers invariably give multiple reasons for their mishaps besides the obvious- YOUR RESERVE IS TOO FUCKING SMALL IF YOU CANNOT LAND IT SAFELY UNDER ALL CONDITIONS.
In their desire to 'look cool' with tiny rigs, some people seem to think that if they are jumping a highly loaded ellipitical, that its proper to have a reserve the same size or just slightly bigger.
I would like others opinion on this question-
What is the proper wing loading for your reserve?

More questions- Say you are at 1500 ft with your reserve open, how much more time would you have to find a good out with a 1:1 compared to a 1.3:1?
Which will fly the furthest, 1:1 or 1.3:1?
Which would be better in high winds-1:1 or 1.3:1?
Which would be better for a tight landing area- 1:1 or 1.3:1?
My opinion is that its stupid to have a reserve loaded more than 1.1:1
Whats your Opinion?

Chris

I like to have as much nylon overhead as I can manage after pulling silver. When my FX 99 opened in an unlandable configuration at the Convention, emergency procedures resulted in my being under a 218 sq. ft. Raven 2 loaded at 0.9:1, which I can land just about anywhere.

The smallest (square) reserve I have packed is 175 sq. ft., and I have used it successfully on more than one occasion. My preferred minimum size gives a 1 psf loading, and I'll take a Raven IV if I can get it.

I NEVER base the size of my reserve upon the size of the main. The benefits of having a big, docile reserve greatly outweigh any concerns about a two-out scenario as far as I'm concerned. YMMV

Blue skies,

Winsor

I think an unconscious jumper was saved by his Cypress at Lake Wales during a world record attempt years back. I think.

Yup. As we watched it, we all agreed that we were witnessing a CYPRES save.

A beautiful yellow canopy mercifully brought him into a clear and dry area with no further injuries. We couldn't have got there in time if he had hit the water.

Blue skies,

Winsor

>Example: You get knocked out in FF from a collision. You can't pull
>and your cypres fires at 750ft.

90% of cypres saves are people who just plain forget to pull. So 90% of the time you should be in pretty good shape. If you're really concerned about that other 10% of the time, get a round reserve. It will land you just as well conscious as unconscious.

I have a mess of round reserves, but none of them are in CYPRES-equipped rigs.

Putting a CYPRES in a Wonderhog is like putting a $50 saddle on a $5 horse.

Blue skies,

Winsor

For me - 13 kts is high. I won't jump over 15.
"High winds" are a relative term.

No. I recomend people's reserve/main combo are comparable, as that's what was recomended in the PIA dual square report. I jump a Stilleto 107. I feel my 120 is a conservative size and performance when compared to my main, but within the same size category.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

>I don't think I'm "stupid" for my choice though. Caviliar perhaps.

I don't think so either. The people I worry about are the people who get a PD113R because it fits in the rig they want, and never consider the issues of having to land it.

I don't think so either. The people I worry about are the people who get a PD113R because it fits in the rig they want, and never consider the issues of having to land it

I have a Pd113r in mine and have had no problem in landing it..even down wind! And no I did't buy it cause it would like small.