prcastro

Loooong time between jumps

About a month and a half ago or so, I fractured my ankle on a relatively hard landing. Not because I was doing anything stupid (e.g., hooking or coming in on a crosswind final), just dumb luck on a windy day. I'm a rookie in the sport (just over 200 jumps or so in about a year and a half) and I'll be grounded for a while longer before going back up in the air any time soon. My question(s) is this; 1st of all, does anyone out there have some insight on injuries they've sustained while jumping? Were you nervous the first time you went back up? Secondly, will my skills deminish greatly? If they do, is it like riding a bike? Will it come back quickly? I like to freefly and I never thought I was that good at it to begin with. Is there anything I can do while grounded to keep up with what little skill I had before I got hurt? Help would be greatly appreciated, peeps. B| "It puts the lotion on its skin or it will get the hose again."

Been almost 5 months since I last jumped (broken back) and it will be at least a month or 2 before I come back..maybe more. Im scared shitless of going back to jumping (cause I will have metal in my back). All ive been thinking about lately is doing that first jump back..i feel sick in the stomach just thinking about it.

From what ive heard most skills should come back fairly quickly, just takes a few jumps to get used to the air again and to loose some nerves.

One thing I can suggest while your grounded is maybe trying a bit of judging..I dont know how good it will do for freefly but for rel which is what I do ive learnt heaps of shit about blocks/randoms, general things judges look for in comps etc so I feelt hat will help a fair bit when i get back...

Good luck with it

After 23 initial jumps (8 AFF + 15 solo) I took 4 years off (due to money, not injury). When I came back and did a recert jump with an instructor, I was much less nervous than I expected. I mean, I was a little antsy on the plane ride, but I didn't hesitate or anything. And yes, for me at least, freefall skills were very much like riding a bike. I was completely stable from exit all the way to pull, did all the shit I was supposed to do in the dive by like 8k feet and had time to track with my instructor for a while. :) Canopy skills on the other hand took 10 or so jumps before I was even decent again (i.e. usually standing up within 50m of target).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

w0w, did this happen while jumping? I hope you get back in soon, if not, heal fast! Hope you feel better soon!

yup, stupid low turn :S... still cant believe i did it. good thing is life is pretty much back to normal now apart from jumping...oh well hopefully get my knees in the breeze soon

catcha

I hook/panic turned myself in, way back on jump # 87 to the result of 5 compressed vertabrae and a 6 month stint away from actively jumping. I can tell you my skills sucked just as bad when I returned, as they were previous to that when I was "active" ;) It didn't matter either way.

It's what you've learned from it, and how you go on (move forward) that counts. Just take it slow & don't push yourself into "trying" before your healing & body is fully ready. Lesson learned: There are plenty of jumps to be had tomorrow, as long as you can maintain the discipline to not screw yourself up (unneccesarily) today!

Not because I was doing anything stupid (e.g., hooking or coming in on a crosswind final), just dumb luck on a windy day. I'm a rookie in the sport...

Ahem.... excuse me here, but this was precisely my "story" as well. Think about that. The result (not hook turning, or "cross-winding" notwithstanding ---why do you think just that gets you off the hook here?) indicates that you were beyond your ability level on this particular day. "Luck"?? (Dumb or otherwise) ...??? ...You really don't want to go there. (Hope Ron is not looking :P)

Please, do yourself a favor, the best advice I can give you to be better prepared for your return: LEARN FROM THIS MISTAKE!!

Freefall skills can be re-learned (or as in my case, "luckily" for me since -UNlearned :P) quickly enough once you come back. Learn instead perhaps how & when to keep yourself on the ground, and out of the potential situation itself in the 1st place when more appropriate.

My best wishes to you for a full, and speedy recovery!
Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

You guys are a bunch of lightweights. I take a 4 month break every year called winter!! J/K. I'm in the same boat in the fact that I destroyed my femur and cracked my pelvis 2 months ago. Have no fear. You will return probably better than when you left because you will be operating mentally, not physically. Skydiving is not a physical sport in the sense that you have to be strong, or tall to do it. I find that my best jumps of the year are the first ones after a long break.

You guys are a bunch of lightweights. I take a 4 month break every year called winter!!

I vociferously beg to differ!
Who's the "lightweight" here?
Winter, ..."Door"!! ...Ice chrystals immediately begin pelting your face. It's clear, crisp, probably sub-zero at alt. Sorry baby, but I'm still out there jumping! Some of the best scenery and jumps of the year I've had during the winter.
Who's the lightweight here?

Hmmmm.....

Skydiving is not a physical sport in the sense that you have to be strong, or tall to do it.

Oops, there you go. Guess we got our answer here.
Well thanks for your input there, ...SHORTY! :P

P.S. ...Greenies ...just in case ...only in "fun". No real personal attack here.

LOL,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I broke my fibula this summer. (caught a downwind draft while flaring)

I was in a cast for 6 weeks. Then a month on the treadmill before doing my first jump.

I chose to upsize for my first couple of jumps back.
I jump a Sabre 150, however, my first few jumps back, I rented a Sabre2 190.

I upsized for one reason only.....to make sure my leg could handle it.

I knew I could still flare my 150 properly, I just didn't want to take any chances.

If you are coming back, try to land some place soft,
Perris Valley has a great student landing area.

I still land there because I like it so much, even though I really don't need to.

I was nervous coming back but I would be god damned if I let some pussy assed injury keep me from enjoying such an amazing sport.

What else is out there anyway?
a mortgage? nagging wife? kids? a job you hate?
screw it all....expect more out of life!

Good Luck

scott