funks

Anybody ever jump with headphones?? Possible?

I was just listening to one of my favorite CD's, the kind that would want to make you jump out of an airplane with or without a parachute and thought...wow, that would be kickass to be able to jam this during a kickbutt skydive....obviously you wouldnt be able to hear your dytter so you would have to be extra altitude aware, but it seems possible!?!? Is it?

my brother jumps with his I-pod all the time. be sure to remember if you are used to using one that your audible is not going to be as loud if you can hear it at all, and dont get so caught up in the music that you loose any awareness.

-yoshi

Bad idea.

Why make skydiving more dangerous by distracting yourself, and making it so you can't hear others under canopy?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Why make skydiving more dangerous by distracting yourself, and making it so you can't hear others under canopy?

Don't people drive down the highway and interstate with their stereos so loud that they can't hear a sirens? If the guy is heads up and paying attention, he'll be fine. Besides, how do you think all the deaf skydivers do it? They have learned to use their eyes and pay attention.
I've done it, I just don't make a habit of it.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

they are a bit pricey, but i just got a set of Etymotic ER-6's for my long motorcycle rides.

they are actually headphones that double as ear plugs.. provide upto 20db of isolation and have excellent sound quality even over the drone of my hindle exaust can on my fzr400 (easily 95+db at highway rpm.) i plan on trying them at the dz soon.

they have a barometric release feature too, which is supposed to release pressure as it builds in the ear canal. should be ideal if they work fast enough.

you can check them at http://www.etymotic.com/images/img/er6lg.jpg

i'll keep you posted after the weekend on their performance at altitude.

I hooked an internal system into my batrac, with a coupler in one of the ears flush with the outside.

Easy to plug any media into the helmet, for mainly the ride up. Yes, you can hear it in freefall with the rac because it is a solid helmet, but not the best idea, but a cool experience nontheless.

J.Neas

Don't people drive down the highway and interstate with their stereos so loud that they can't hear a sirens?

Yep and thats a good thing? The highway saftey board has said that radios attribute to alot of accidents. Several accidents could be avoided by a guy hearing "look out!"

So why take one of your five senses out of the game to keep yourself alive?

If the guy is heads up and paying attention, he'll be fine.

And if he is not he could kill you or me.

Besides, how do you think all the deaf skydivers
do it? They have learned to use their eyes and pay attention.

And they are deaf 100% of the time and are used to compensating for the lack of hearing....I don't want some guy getting his grove on flying around me.

In the plane is cool, but I don't want a guy around me jamming to tunes under canopy.

And you have 3,000 jumps...He has 250.

Big difference.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334