Kentlad

Real Newbie Questions

Suck eggs warning..Sorry but real newbie questions

Ok tried to find to answers myself but I am having no luck...

Can anyone please explain some of the following things that have been nagging me..

1, What is CAT10 i have just finished my AFF level 8 about to do my 10 consolidation jumps, which I thought earned me my A license, if so what is CAT 10?

2, What is RSL, am I right in thinking it is something to do with automatic release of the reserve canopy? what does RSL stand for?

3, What is WARP, I understand there are WARP coaches at my DZ just not got around to finding out what they are etc.

Like I say real newbie, have tried find out myself but no luck, am sure you gurus dont mind helping out...;)

Many thanks
Kentlad

PS If relevant UK based..

1, What is CAT10 i have just finished my AFF level 8 about to do my 10 consolidation jumps, which I thought earned me my A license, if so what is CAT 10?

Cat 10 as such no longer exists. It is the old term for what is now called BPA FS1 - Formation Skydiving Grade 1. Basically, you learn the basic skills required to jump safely with other people culminating in a 4 point 4way (4 different formations with 3 other people).

2, What is RSL, am I right in thinking it is something to do with automatic release of the reserve canopy? what does RSL stand for?

This is something that should have been explained to you on your first jump course... :S

Basically, when you cut away the main canopy, RSL causes the reserve pin to be pulled. I suspect I haven't explained that too well - but I am sure someone else will help. Any questions about this ask your instructor! Or (I see you jump at Headcorn) re-read your AFF course book, there should be something explaining the RSL in the equipment section.

3, What is WARP, I understand there are WARP coaches at my DZ just not got around to finding out what they are etc.

WARP stands for Worldwide Approved Relative-work Progression System. This is the system that is widely used in the UK to get you from Cat 8 (whcih you will be once you have completed you 10 consolidation jumps) to FS1. The original WARP system is pretty dated these days, and very few people still teach it in its original format but it consists of 10 levels. 7 one on one dives, 2 three ways and finally the four way. In prtactise though, WARP often takes more than 10 jumsp to complete and there is no requirement to use the WARP system to get your FS1, you simply need to learn the appropriate skills and complete a 4+ point 4way.

WARP coaches are the people who hold a rating to coach you in air to get you from Cat 8 to FS1.

I hope that helps!

Vicki

RSL = Reserve Static Line. This automatically extracts the reserve pin when the cutaway is pulled.
[

Don't take this personnally but this is a very poor and dangerous reply. It DOES NOT automatically extract the reserve pin when the CUTAWAY is pulled.

As I'm sure you know, it connects a main riser and the reserve ripcord. If you fall away from a cutaway MAIN, then it's designed to extract your reserve pin. I've known a number of newbies who have thought that the answer you gave was correct, and if they pulled their cutaway handle for a TOTAL malfunction the RSL would pull their reserve. I even had one guy do this in the air. He quickly realized that he needed to pull his reserve himself and it came out all right. Especially with more people deciding to cutaway from a PC in tow or a total malfunction, this can be a very dangerous mind set to get into.

Sorry but I couldn't let this go by.

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Kentlad I don't think your Q's "suck eggs". My question to you though is. You say you just finished level 8. Why has no one at your DZ told you what an rsl is? or maby they did but you didn't understand. Why are you not aware of your DZ's traning program in regards to cat10. YOUR DZ may still use it. I think it is great that you are coming here to get the ansures that you need. I also think you should not hesitate to do so in the future. But it seems to me that their is a lack of comunication between you and your DZ. It wories my when ppl HAVE to ask questions like "what is an rsl". I think some one should have told you this by now. And they may have. Continue to get informed and stay safe!!
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

The way I understand it is that AFF instructors are not obliged to teach the use of an RSL...it makes sense to me.
Sure the student should know the purpose of all the equipment the're using, but if you concentrate on the importance of an RSL too much I think you could run the risk of letting the student rely on it rather than ignoring the fact it is there and completing any cutaway and reserve pull as if you're not wearing an RSL.
Having said that, is there not a case for making sure the student is aware that there are cases when you might want to get rid of an RSL (eg water landings?)

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

why would you want to get rid of an rsl on a water landing???

the only reason i can think of is if you want to cut away the main and use the reserve pack as a flotation device...

but still it will only float for about 6-7 minutes....

im curious as to why you would want to disconnect it..

I would think that it's so that once you're in the water you can cut away your main cleanly and swim clear of the canopy and lines.

Definitely easier than trying to undo your harness and swim out of it depending on the circumstance.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

As Kris says, I was taught that when you hit the water you want to cut away your main CLEANLY...without running the risk of deploying your reserve as well. I'm not sure as to whether taking off your RSL would make much of a difference but I'd probably give it a try

The way I understand it is that AFF instructors are not obliged to teach the use of an RSL...it makes sense to me.
Sure the student should know the purpose of all the equipment the're using, but if you concentrate on the importance of an RSL too much I think you could run the risk of letting the student rely on it rather than ignoring the fact it is there and completing any cutaway and reserve pull as if you're not wearing an RSL.

However there has been fatalities like jumper has total malfunction, jumper pulls cutaway, jumper lands at 120mph... It may be that the jumper believed the RSL would pull the reserve (as explained in a sloppy manner), consequently it may not be a bad idea to tell the student exactly how the RSL works (and especially how it doesn't).

The way I understand it is that AFF instructors are not obliged to teach the use of an RSL

RSL's are mandatary for student kit as are AAD's. Thus, if it is in the kit the instructor IS obliged to teach about the use of an RSL, though they would not be able to force the person to use one once they had come off student status.

Having said that, is there not a case for making sure the student is aware that there are cases when you might want to get rid of an RSL (eg water landings?)

When I was doing my AFF course the purpose of the RSL was explained but I was taught to never to rely on it and always complete my reserve drills.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

The most important thing is that if you are in any way confused or unsure about ANY aspect of your emergency drills then you should discuss them with you instructor before your next jump.

Vicki

exactly!
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

When I was doing my AFF course the purpose of the RSL was explained but I was taught to never to rely on it and always complete my reserve drills.

That seems like the best way to me.