richardd

Anyone Insured?

I posted a thread a while back about insurance. The BPA provide third party insurance ie I wipe out an acre of crops and land on the DZOs car in a tracking accident:)

I am intrested in personal injury insurance. This uk company provides a simple online form http://www.sportscoverdirect.com/cgi-bin/scd/scd-quote-form.pl?policy=SG&group=4&what=Parachuting&sport=Parachuting

Therefore for me in an office job picking a grade 4 sport(parachuting/skydiving) i am looking at £85pa + optional top up units(max 10).

Does anyone think this is worth the paper its written on or have anything similar? I spose £100 isnt significant but just wanted to gauge some opinion.

Cheers
Rich

Hard to say. I worked that form a little; the hospital payments were very low, as were the dental, so you'd
better have other protection; the weekly benefit is
good for 26 weeks, and along with the death
benefit and liability payments represent the best part of the coverage, such as it is.

Interesting the types of serach and rescue
operations they'll pay for.:D

It's not as expensive as I thought it might be,
but tick it up to 10 units and it gets more serious.
Really hard to say.

I really boils down to what you have to lose. If you are a single pennyless skybum then I'd say forget about the insurance, and simply rely on the compassion of your government's social services network.

Term life insurance for any cause of death (except during riots, war, or the commission of a felony crime) is within reach for most employed people. It won't pay for a yellow brick road, but it will pay the bills and keep your wife and children fed long enough for her to re-marry.

I don't think anyone can afford a comprehensive personal injury policy for long-term care and recovery. You might survive, but it will bankrupt your family.

My wife will do well of if I burn in...

My personal life coverage is really big - Term insurance with USAA that I got years and years ago... there was a questing in the application that asked me if I planned (in '94) to do any skydiving/scuba/etc... within 6 months of signing the contract. The only real exclusion was a suicide exclusion that expired in '96 so even if the grind doesn't look accidental she'll still get paid...

Also, I checked my Life and AAD at work, and both cover "risky" sports, including skydiving.

Should the unthinkable happen, my wife will do very, very, very well.

Note to self: Hide gear at home from wife...

- Jeff

p.s., anyone notice that the forum's spell checker doesn't recognize the word "Skydiving"... ;)

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

I have very similar insurance - it covers hostpital bills etc and repatriation (very very important if you ever skydive overseas as shipping you home in a hostpital bed costs hundreds of thousands of pounds - make sure your policy covers it).

The only important thing to note is that I've never seen one of these policies that will pay out to you or your family for injuries - they are for medical bills only - NOT for compensation!

If thats all your looking for then under £100 is a GOOD price - its about what I paid for mine.

(Oh, and for some reason many exclude camel riding[:/] - bored days on weather hold examining each others insurance docs descovered this over easter:S)

I rode a camel once, it scared me a lot more than any skydive! :D They're not very friendly..

I'm looking for insurance myself; something that will cover medical expenses worldwide and also allow me to skydive - any recommendations?

Slightly off the subject, but where can I find a list of countries the BPA's insurance covers us for?

There is a company called Airsports who advertise in SkyDive Mag, tel: 01983 298480. They offer a range of cover for skydiving. I have been considering taking out some cover and these people are they only ones I have found so far.

I would be interested to see what other cover is available to compare before I commit.

J

the above link seems like it does that - but I havent read the full policy doc yet - im with columbus direct - that covers everything i need and cost just under £100 for the year. It also works as standard travel insurnace and will even cover me en-route to the DZ (that includes my home DZ).

I can even bolt on equipment insurance if wasnt covered by my home insurance.

if you look on uk.rec.skydiving, there is a list there (posted by Gary McGuiness I think) of UK insurers.

I have the annual Axa policy, around £95 including medical cover for skydiving. Scubadiving beyond a certain depth is not included, so if you do that too, it's worth looking at the small print.

BPA 3rd party insurance covers everywhere in the world apart from US and Canada if I remember correctly. They were helpful with providing evidence of the insurance cover when I was jumping in Germany as there you just need some form of insurance cover and don't need to be a member of the national parachute association, although they get it cheaper through bulk buying.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Hm, membeciation covers third person damages. They recently dropped 1st person coverage due to a huge increase in the premium.

We have a national health care system so we are (through taxes) covered with regards to anything medical.

Haven't got any other insurance myself, as I am very, very poor indeed.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Columbus Direct? :o I bought travel insurance from them for a jumping holiday in May - and then cancelled it immediately!

Because on ringing back for further info on another point the guy said, "you do know that you're only covered for (insert very small number here - 2? I forget,sorry) skydives don't you?" Apparently this was a recent change in their policy that meant it was useless for anything but the odd jump! >:(

Maybe if you bought it for the year before then you are covered, but please check!

Blue skies & hope you don't have to use the insurance

we checked that very point because of rumours about it b4 we bought. We made it quite clear that this was a specific skydiving holiday and thats all we would be doing. The package we bought from them was unlimited skydiving. I cant speek for what anyone else go or come to think of it, the price for individuals cos we cut a deal as there were about 20 of us buying.