FreeDiver

Pulling high

Howdy folks

I've been wanting to do a real high pull just so I could enjoy the view a while longer and fly a little more - still a newbie here (25 jumps)

Is it safe to pull at 12k ? I'm going to ask my instructors too and notify everybody on the load as usual ofcourse ;)

Only problem I can think of is blood circulation in the legs not being very good and passing out because of that because these damn student rigs!

Never had that problem though: it only hurts once in a while - but it's a posibility

thanks

I would say it is deffinatley safe, and in my limited experience would just offer this advise, if you are using student gear and are undeloading the canopy quite a lot - then be prepared to take absolutley forever to come down. ( beware of thermals on the day you decide to do it - as that will keep u up if longer)
your arms may become a bit tired depending on how you are flying, and blood circulation to legs may also be a bit of a problem.
but other than that I think it should be fine
Peace Be Da Journey

get a FULL brief from an instructor. You could EASILY land 10 miles away from the DZ!

The winds up there may well be cranking - more than you've ever experianced closer to the ground. This could have your canopy flying WAY off the DZ. So long as you are expecting this - no probs. Find out the direction of the winds from DZ control or the pilot and be prepaired to hold into wind for a while. Do a review of your canopy control with someone so that you are confident you are not simply gonna fly off across the country.

Have the pilot put you out up wind of the DZ on a CRW pass if they will - you will get more time to play that way. Also make sure DZ control knows - you dont want free fallers going through your canopy.

Find out from DZ control what referance point not to cross until below 3000ft, eg road/town. That way you will not stray into free fall airspace and again get a free faller through your canopy.

Disconnect your RSL. The advantages it gives you come also with some disadvantages. Normally the advantages easily outweigh the disadvantages but if your dumping at 12k you will have plenty of time to deal with a mal on your main - an RSL will not give any advantages but the disadvantages will still be there. If you want you could hook it up again at 4k, just be carefull fiddleing with your cables.

Enjoy the view and the ride - I have had some of the most fun ever in this sport dumping high.

So you're saying I should base my decision where to jump out on the direction of the wind at different altitudes ? I hope somebody knows this stuff at our DZ :P

Take a look at the picture of my DZ

If the wind direction up high is the complete opposite of the wind direction at ground level and if the wind up high is twice as fast they should drop me somewhere at H-30 ? Is that what you mean by upwind ? BTW: I can't spot!

It's exciting allready -- lol :$

why not do your first high pull at about 8k? That way you will still have a long time to play but will have less chance of landing off. The winds at 12k can be very different to those at 8k.

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

Your exit point will depend on the direction and strength of the upper winds at the time of the jump. If the upper winds are really hauling ass you may well be a long way out. (sometimes they can be very strong - the first time I pulled at 12 they were so strong I had to shut my full face - must have easily been above 30.)

No one can tell you where you should exit until the time of the load - and they should be DZ staff that tell you. They will probably be used to this esp if they have regular CRW jumpers and will know straight off where to put you.

Just remember to get that no-cross referance point - thats very important or you'll fly right through freefaller airspace.

ya it's safe. i do it all the time. it's a really good way to learn your canopy. you can fly it in deep brakes, learn front and rear risers.

it's even more fun wehn you have really big clouds all around, and you can fly through the caverns and stuff like that.

i like getting out with 2 or 3 other people, and flying around each other.

later

Just remember to get that no-cross referance point - thats very important or you'll fly right through freefaller airspace.

Wouldn't it be best for the high puller to get out last.
This would insure no free fallers in the airspace above.

Also at our dz jumprun is always into the wind this would also put the high puller upwind.

I've done it lost of times never had trouble getting back. But do tell the pilot so he/she can tell the other pilots.

Blue Skies Black Death

This would insure no free fallers in the airspace above.

Not necessarily. At busy dropzones it is very possible that another load could be let out before he reaches the ground, especially since he is jumping a huge canopy. At WFFC there was a road that high pullers were not allowed to cross above 2000 feet, for just that reason.