Kentlad

Packing frustration...

Ok, am I being an arse or do I have a legtimate crumble..

Compeleted my 2nd consolidation jump this weekend, at the point where I really must start packing myself and getting that £10 back...(all adds up)

This was my first solo pack as I have only done the 1st as part of my packing lesson, the instructor did most of it I just watched. Remembered how to get to the first check no worries, remembered how to fold the canopy, b over a etc. (think that was right.;) ). Then thought ok, what next..

My main crumble was trying to find help with this pack, instructors busy doing tandem, aff etc. (fair enough it is a Saturday) but everyone else I asked had the own agenda...eventually after 2 hours got the thing packed and deposit credited to next ticket.

I just find this very annoying, standing around for an age hoping to find someone to help. I have found this at the DZ I use, very cliquey, a couple of excellent instrutctors, but not very newbie friendly.

Just can't wait until I can pack myself, going to persevere, going down their during the week this time, so what happens....

Kentlad

I know the DZ you jump at well and used to jump there and give packing lessons there regularly. I can only suggest that you try to make it down there sometime on a bad weather day and practise, practise, practise – if people are not busy jumping they will be more than happy to help. It does get easier with practise! Another possibility could be to get a couple of others who also want to learn to pack and arrange a packing lesson with one of the instructors or packers there.

I hope that helps,

Vicki

Sound like Headcorn. B|

Learning to pack on a Saturday can be a fustrating experience. Everyone is busy doing their thing. I think you would encounter this fustration at any busy DZ on a Saturday.

Going down during the week is a very good idea. Try to make learning to pack a priority. Life is so much easier when you dont have to wait for others to check and teach.

When I started jumping, the weather was bad for the first two weekends. On the advice of experienced jumpers I used the time to learn to pack. Got my packing certificate before I actually did a jump. Proved to be a tremendous advantage. I was out jumping while the other students had to sit around and wait untill someone could do their checks.

good luck.

know what you mean. my usual dz has been the same at weekends, very, very busy making tandems (their bread & butter I guess) and just getting the loads up. I just got a rig so am at that stage where i need to learn to pack. i'm sure there will be plenty of rainy days to come, urghh!, so I'll be up there then.
packing, and re packing, and repacking!!

easy.

as already said, pack, pack and pack again, training is cool to get the job done correctly... this week end we had a championship at our club, packing blind... brakes were set... 3min40 till the lines were in 2 first tubes of the POD... then I unpacked it to be sure of what I did... and I think it could have been jumped... some jumped their's :S... but they packed it in 8 minutes or so...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

I have the EXACT same experiance as you this weekend. First time at my homeDZ (did AFF on holiday) and at this home DZ everybody learns to flatpack during their AFF course. No packing courses are available other than that. No packers available either btw.
Well.. I didn't learn to pack during my AFF in France.

Saturday I was a COMPLETE newbie there, didn't know anybody or anything (except falling out of an airplane), but when I finaly grabbed hold of an experienced guy at least he did find someone to show me. By the time this person showed me it was dark so no chance to practice myself.
Sunday was a harder.. nobody apparantly had the time or knew how to flatpack. Took me more than 2 hours to get the canopy in the container. Most of that time was spent trying to find someone to help me [:/]
Only needed help with the stabilizers, folding the tail, folding the canopy after rolling it to fit in the bag.

No, not the greatest of help a newbie could have been givin unfortunatly.
Not to self: if you ever get the hang of it all.. keep an eye out for newbies and help them whenever they look like they might need it.

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I understand your frusterations 100% !! When i was learning to pack, it was the same thing - now that i teach packing lessons at my home DZ, and pack for students, i try to remember my frusterations and help students get it in the bag and get in the air. Be patient - once you get packing down the whole jumping process will change 180 for you - eliminate all the bullshit of waiting.
My advice, be persistant: none of the jumpers that sit around on the couches waiting to be held by the hand and taught to pack ever learn. As a packer, it is part of my job to teach students to pack, nobody will hold it against you for riding on someone to help you out. Thats how you learn and how things get done.

Blue ones,
=========Shaun ==========