The111

Why is skysurf so uncommon today?

We discussed this at my (small Cessna) DZ just last weekend. The X games dropped FF fairly quickly, what did that do for its popularity? I think skysurfing was perceived by many as "extreme skydiving".

- On many dropzones, it will be harder to find someone to jump with on a regular basis compared to RW or FF; for "traditional" skysurf, you basically always need cameraman, or you jump alone.

- It may be a more difficult discipline to progress with, particularly when you get on a bigger board, requiring a commitment of a lot of jumps (and probably relatively more jumps than recreational RW and FF, although I'm sure some will disagree here) to achieve a decent level of proficiency

- Skysurfing could be more physically demanding with the high-rev spins and flips.

- It is a discipline that may require alteration of deployment and emergency procedures (higher pull altitude, different pull technique, conservative choice of canopy, etc) - this probably turned off many good, experienced skydivers - I know more than a few that have never tried wingsuit for the same reason, however unreasonable

- The loss of a skysurfer of Jerry Loftis' (practically invented the discpline?) caliber probably reinforced the impression that it is a more dangerous discipline.

Rob H., Patrick, Rozov and others made it look awesome though!

Martin

There are a couple of factors that come to mind immediately:

1) The more you know, the more dangerous you realize it is, and the harder you realize it is.
2) It is a very lonely way to skydive...it takes a hell of a lot of work to get good, and in doing so, you will spend most of your time jumping on your own.
3) Skydiving is expensive...with the number of jumps that it takes to get good, it is prohibitively expensive for many.
4) There is no incentive...yes, there are still competitions, but how many times do you think people want to compete against the same handful of people? Also, the field that exists is so experienced, i.e. Eric Fradet, Tanya Garcia-Obrien, etc., the only chance that others have of winning is if the above named people don't show up. What fun is that?...doesn't make for much of a competition.
5) You can't start jumping on a board right away (though I know some people who have), but generally, by the time one has the skills necessary to jump a board, they have found something else that interests them more in the sport.

It's a shame that more people don't do it...it's a very fun discipline, very challenging, and very beautiful when it's well done.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

-S

As scary as this thought is, swooping will loose it's appeal and eventually just become another disipline, taken over by the next 'big' thing.

I dunno, I find that hard to believe, since swooping is a method of landing (as opposed to freefall), it will only be replaced by a landing method which is cooler than swooping.

WS landings?!? :o

EDIT:

Yeah...landing wing suits :)

Damnit Kev, I didn't notice there was a second page of replies when I made mine. You beat me.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

2) It is a very lonely way to skydive...it takes a hell of a lot of work to get good, and in doing so, you will spend most of your time jumping on your own.

Steve summed it up pretty well. This point I think is the clincher for most. There are many challenging disciplines in skydiving, but working through them with your friends keeps people going. Imagine how popular flying headdown would be if you could really only do it by yourself.

peace
lew

going to dust off my board sometime...
http://www.exitshot.com

Out of those only Jerry was involved in a skysurf at the tome of his death.

Wait a minute, I thought Rob had gone into G lock from a spin and his Cypress didn't fire during the filming of the Pepsi "goose" commercial. Am I wrong??

(Sorry for anyone who thinks this is a touchy subject, I'm just curious....)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

i just got back from Empuria in Spain - there was a German skysurfer there (relatively inexperienced) an Australian girl (pretty experienced) and Babylon skysurf coaching a LOT.

It may have lost momentum, but i wouldn't say it's dead by any stretch.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

The #1 question I get asked as a tandem I. by students is "dude, did you ever jump with a snowboard?". My answer (of course in jest) is, " when those guys show up in their tights we kick their asses and send them on their way". Or, "Why would I want to turn my body into the drive shaft of a big propeller?". No disrespect for skysurfers, I just think that there are much more versatile and appealing disciplines.

Well with my limited experience I have found three issues with skysurfing.

A) It's a pain in the ass to for others in the plane when I put my board on.

B) It's rrrrrreally lonely practicing all the time alone.

c) It's scary when you start spinning really fast!

Having said that, I LOVE skysurfing for the following reasons:

A) Surfs up biotch, back the fuck up!

B) I'm one of the few, the elite (lol)

C) It's scary when you start spinning really fast!Yeeeeehaaaaaaaa! :P:D:D

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

all the reasons everyone else gave and the fact that a fair number of DZ's will not allow you to jump a board there for a variety of reasons. The least not being that like Sebastian - the airport is surrounded by housing developements that really hate it when you drop boards or skyballs in their back yards - they don't even like it when you drop canopies in their yards.

everyone's pretty muched summed it up already, but i just wanted to add my tiny opinion. i think its unappealing because i've felt its the most difficult discipline to learn. there's not many to learn from (reasons have been previously posted) so beginners are on their own, for the most part, unless they get coaching.
and its just a damn hard concept to learn to fly the board as a part of you, not an added element. i've taken three folks out for their 1st board jumps. 1 said never again, 1 did a couple more jumps on the beginner board, and 1 did about 20 more jumps on the beginner.
its rewarding, its frustrating. unappealling because to be successful, every jump has to be a skysurf jump. it takes every ounce of discipline and dedication to that one skill. most skydivers want something a little easier to pick up, a little safer, and leeway in their choice of jumps with the option of exceling at their preferred discipline.

I have a question:

Im really interesting in being really good at RW. Im also interesting in doing Skysurfing and flying a wingsuit, but freefly hasnt really appealed to me that much (probably cos of my rig, and tbh Ive never tried FF)

Are most skysurfers FFers? I know you need good FF skills before you can do it, but is it strange for me to be more interested in SS than FF?

I know I have no where near enough jumps, and not the right kit for it, so I wont be starting any time soon.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

skysurfing, probably uncommon cos its not something you just tend to try one afternoon. when you try it you've gotta have the right coach like anything to stay with it - and there just arn't that many coaches.

Reasons I like it - see divaskychick just about sums it up - have we met eloy xmas time I just started surfing then (english guy)?

As I understand it you need Freestyle experience, not FreeFly. That's all I'm going to really say because FS and SS have never really appealed to me, so I don't know anything about them.

As to freeflying, I would recommend you at least learn to sitfly at one point as it can be a blast. But remember, you don't have to freefly.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

hello,
i did mostly FF before hopping on board. i only had 200 jumps when i surfed as well. good prerequisites are being able to stand the whole dive (no wobbling), layout to stand (forward and backwards), easily execute 360's in a stand (left and right). if you can accomplish these maneuvers comfortably, you're ready to test out a board. :)