Daizey

Rib Injury Question

It'll be 4 weeks this sunday since my car accident in which i bruised the majority of my ribs as nd fractured one other. My doctor said total recovery time would be somewherer around 4-6 weeks. Talked to him the other day and he said all looks well and I should be fine to jump this weekend-but he wasn't really too sure about the impact it would have on it.
As it is now, for the most part it feels fine. If i push myself too much at practice (swimming) it does get a little sore after activity but not sore to the point where its incredibly painful.
I am a student, I was thinking of going out to do my level 6 tomorrow but i wanted to see first if anyone has any idea on what to expect with the jump-and/or if you think jumping tomorrow is a bad idea or not. I am planning on talking to my jumpmaster first when i get out there but i figured i;d ask here in the meantime...thanks!:)

*daizey*

I really think i am ready-I don't think its going to be much of a problem-and i feel pretty good lately. But being so new to the sport, i am really not sure how much that part of the body has to do with the skydive-until the injury i never realized how much i used that part of my body at all.

*daizey*

OMG you never told me about the car accident...or you did and I'm just a moron...that's the likely event...

I think you'll be fine. Can you stretch your chest and stomach muscles without too much pain? You probably won't be using your chest muscles nearly as much as you do swimming so I imagine you'll be fine. I think the only thing that might bug you will be staying in the big open boxman position with your arm out and up like that, and I don't think canopy flying will even come close to matching your hardcore swimming :P I say enjoy the weekend, and enjoy a little for me too since I get to work!

Blue ones ;)

Daizey,

I know I'm late with this post, but I want to share some wisdom with you. This comes from my tandem master who has 3000 jumps. He was also my instructor twice in the tunnel. He told me that if you are injured and then feel 100% wait another month. You lose nothing and gain everything.

Hope all is well with you.

Chris

Hmmm, this sounds familiar:$:S
Got hit by a car this year...broke ribs this year!!?
I reeeeeeeally wanted to jump but circumstances didn't allow me to thank goodness.
Just remember that one bad landing/opening = several bad months of no jumping.

Take it easy. Make sure you can twist at the waist, arch, roll about, jump, take jolts etc pain free...

I did my first jump back after 7 weeks and had to be helped out of bed the next morning....that said, I still would have tried to jump had I known that was going to happen....I was going nuts as a land lubber!!:S
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

mmmm. i've broken ribs 4 or 5 times (playing rugby and generally getting beaten up!). I generally feel fine after 4 weeks, but experience has shown that 4 weeks isn't enough for me. it's a real pain but i find it best to wait at least 6-8 weeks before doing anything too strenuous again. (but then maybe i'm just a slow healer!)