Fireflyer

How Long Did It Take For Your "A"?

Hey all, I started jumping exactly 4 months ago tomorrow, and I still haven't completed my A license. Who else here can give me a "me too" story? I am getting a little discouraged/anxious as the summer is ending and I want to get it finished.

Increases in work and school demands (paying tuition for fall) slowed my progress. I have 18 jumps, completed AFF, and admittedly spend some money on fun jumps which are cheaper and more relaxing then the remaining 4 coached dives and the check-out dive I need to do to get my A at my DZ. I still have to learn to pack too. Ugh. :P

I am shooting for the end of September before regs change...wish me luck!

It took me 8 months.

I was (still am) a very broke college student and the DZ I was training at was 3 hours away, AND I was in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M, which took up a LOT of my weekends. Thus it took a long time.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It took me a while to get my 'A', because of the weather, I started my AFF Sept last year (NJ) and finished in March this year (FL) and got my license in July of this year.

It took me a while to get my A as well. I did my first jump in May of last year and didn't get my A until early September. I had a ton of stuff going on last summer and didn't get too much of a chance to jump that much. Since then I've jumped as much as I could and have about 435 jumps now so there's still hope! Packing was the last thing I learned to do also. Stick with it, get your A and have fun. Good luck!!
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

It took me about 3 weeks to get my "A" and 10 months to get my "D". All you have to do is DO IT! You have to set your mind to it and stay consistant. I do have a supportive wife, 5 kids, a full time job, and I'm a flight instructor...

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

I don't know about the American system,but it took me the best part of a year to get my 'A' license here in the sunny UK.8 levels AFF,10 consols & a qualifying jump.
In my defence,at times,due to weather,i had up to a two month wait between AFF levels which isn't ideal and no repeats until level five (took me five attempts to crack that one.The irony of it all)and no repeats after level five.
Be patient,it's all good!!!!!!!!
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Get your butt moving mister!!!!!!! ;)

I graduated AFF on 3/1/03 (and then the bug bit me BIG TIME).....Had my A on 3/22/03, had B on 4/13/03, had C on 6/1/03 and as of now I am 13 jumps away from my D.

I was bad when I started, put AFF and jumps on credit card but got a "surprise bonus" which paid for it all so I had a clean slate and was able to get a decent used rig.

Not rubbing this in your face :)
Big fat blue ones~ D

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I still don't have an "A"...

However I find my "D" works well enough.

I went from 0 jumps to 200 in about 6-7 mths.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

First jump March 03, started AFP same month and got my A in the first week of July. There were 2 periods where I went three weeks without making a jump and could have been done in late May. You will get it done, some people can dedicate every weekend to it because they have the money and not a wife, husband or kids. I have a wife and 4 month old child and have to balance all of what I love timewise. Just get your last few jumps done and over then you can really start the fun jumps.

I started in march this year and got my A in july.

edit- hey, who really cares though man? You're having fun arn't you? That's what counts, not some stupid USPA license. :P

(I hope USPA doesn't spank me for that)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

hey i am glad to hear your responses - both from those of you taking their good ol time like me, and over acheivers ;) like sunnydee who seemingly actually moved in to her jump plane (and just keeps getting out!). thanks all. i plan to report good news in a month, and i am having fun nonetheless. every jump is the best!

I had started in April and didn't get my "A" until end of October. Pretty much took me the whole summer. Well most of it was spent doing AFF since I was on a 2 Cessna ( with one perpetually broken ) DZ and could jump only on the weekends, that too not until the tandems had been taken care of. It felt like it had lasted for ever.

I did my static line training in feb 2001 and due to bad weather/me being crap/malfunction etc I didnt get my A license until September 2002, 48 jumps later.

Granted I did the RAPS progression system and I live in the UK, so it takes dedication.

But it took my friend well over 2 yrs and 70 odd jumps to get his.

You'll def feel discouraged, but try doing it in this country :P

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

For me, it took 3 months from AFF to my A license. I'm in a similar situation as you are, full-time school, a job on the weekend, etc. You just have to keep pushing yourself and take advantage of every opportunity that may arises to do the requirements for A license.

In my case, it was different because I was in a friendly competition with my friend to see who could get A license first. Unfortunately, I lost. :)
Hang in there, it's worth it when you finally get your A license.

didnt get my A until my 85th jump....I am a very lazy person. Also, never passed my hop n' pop....just waited until everyone forgot that fact to get my A...of course I have done many many hop n' pops now, but my god I was scared to death as a student to have to do over again, so I just never did!

I started in march this year and got my A in july.

edit- hey, who really cares though man? You're having fun arn't you? That's what counts, not some stupid USPA license. :P

(I hope USPA doesn't spank me for that)

I agree, as long as you are having fun it doesn't really matter that much. Sure it sucks to be new and a student, in the respect that there are things you can't participate in, but well... you have the rest of your life to jump... so just have fun!

My first tandem was 7/2, started aff 7/13 and hope to have my A in the next few weeks.

Blue Skies
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka