Kramer

AFF vs. Static Line

I'm five jumps into the static line program, and I've gotta be honest, I'm not a huge fan of it. The skydiving itself, I love, but I don't like the slow-ass format of the static-line system. Something about having five jumps under my belt, with about 2 total seconds of free-fall time just doesn't seem right. There are AFF guys out there with five jumps under their belt who are close to getting their A license. I can't even fathom the day I'll get my A license.

So basically, I'm pondering switching over to AFF, and I'm looking for any words of wisdom from either side that can help me make the final decision. Thank you very much.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Hey!! I think you should keep with the static line that is what i did but only three of my ten where S/L. Like a girl that was there with me at the same time did the AFF and her turns were better than mine in freefall but my canopy comtrol was awesome like she still lands in the student field and I am landing where everyone else does. Also, you do everything on you own and not with somethere with rather than there being someone there with to depend on so when you finally do get to do your freefallalone you don't freak out. It is also cheaper too. So just stick with man but, it is up to you.
Ready Set NNNnnooooooo

It's all good, dude. I went through the SL program, and the money i saved doing that compared to AFF bought me about 50 jumps!!! If you are really going to be a skydiver, which you sound like you are, you'll graduate either one sooner or later - save the MOney and finish SL, then go jump your monkey ass off. B|
=========Shaun ==========

The AFFers might have more on their cards signed off, but with 5 jumps are no closer to their A license than you are. 25 jumps is 25 jumps. They're all >>>fun<<<.

Like others have said, you'll have a more money left over to buy gear, more jumps, etc. And, you won't be scared of low exits ;):ph34r::)
---
Michael Teator
Lexington, Kentucky

I did AFF and it was great, but I did it in a week, you build up momentium and confidience, I know know people who spend months doing on the odd good weekend, and they found it tough.
If you can afford it I would recomend doing it quickly but if you only want to do it at weekends I'd stick to SL.

I have done both S/L and AFF. I switched to AFF after becoming dissatisfied with the freefall training S/L provided. My suggestion, once you get off the rope, and into true freefall, see how you develop. If you make many jumps and have trouble maintaining or gaining stability, make an AFF jump. However, if you can get stable out the door, S/L is definitely the more cost-effective option...which means more jumps later!:P

One of the advantages of SL is the smaller learning curve on each jump, so that you have more brain cells left over for canopy learning (if your DZ does a good job with that). Since people get hurt under canopy more frequently than they get hurt in freefall, it's probably good to have enough brain cells on each jump to really focus on the landing.

You could complete the static line program up to about 15-sec delays, and then talk about starting early coached jumps or something like that.

But it's easy in AFF to focus on the freefall, and figure the canopy part will take care of itself. In which case, refer back to that statement about where people get hurt more often.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It is 25 freefalls to get an A license. The big thing is getting all the objectives on your proficiency card signed off. If you're already 5 jumps into SL, you should be able to move on to the freefall portion of that program anyway. SL is generally a much cheaper option. If you find yourself really struggling once you're into the freefall portion, then consider switching to AFF.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Here's my 2 cents.

I orginally started out doing static line, I progressed very slowly. ( i did get to 15 second delays) but I hated it, I took a year off (to save money) and then took an AFF course.

I recommend that you switch too. When you do AFF you get more of the Skydiving Experience. You also have an instructor their with you to help you durring the jump, and to discuss the jump afterward. You will be able to improve faster because someone who knows what they are doing are there with you and they can guide you on how to improve.

How much can an instructor really see from the door of the plane?

25 jumps till your A is 25 jumps, which gives you excatly the same amount of canopy training.

I made the switch, and I have ZERO regrets.

I was looking into IAD (similar to SL) and the benifit I see is more canopy time/ more jumps etc... but AFF you will concentrate more on FreeFall and not canopy. Granted it takes longer but each jump is also cheaper.

The canopy time per jump isn't any less on AFF. On the first static line you get 0 FF time and canopy time from about 3000'. On AFF1 you get 45-60 seconds FF time and canopy time from about 4500'.

never pull low......unless you are

I was under the impression that AFF only made like 10 or so jumps before they got their license. What's all this talk of 25 jumps, I thought the whole idea of the program was to accelerate the licensing process.

-Kramer

The acceleration is of freefall.

You still have to meet the USPA requirements to get a lic.

My jumps were:

1:Tandem
2-8:Aff 1-7
9-10:Solo
10-20:Coach jumps
20-23: solo

Then I got my lic. I think like jump 24 was my checkdive.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

How much can an instructor really see from the door of the plane?

25 jumps till your A is 25 jumps, which gives you excatly the same amount of canopy training.

The instructor only stays in the plane during your SLs to your 15 secs delays. After that, they will jump out with you... and one of my instructors did jump out with me during one of my 10 second delays.

And when people say that static line gives you more canopy time, they are referring to the canopy time you get while on student status.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think on AFF that you are on student status till like your 9th jump. With static line, you are on student status till your 15th jump. So you do get like twice as much canopy time while on student status .
However, you can only jump with instructors or coaches until you have your A-license, with either method.

so my 2 cents... keep going with static line to keep costs down, but like some other people said, if you keep failing levels because of instability, switch to AFF.

MB 3528, RB 1182

More than static line prices for the majority of them.

Solos were gear + jump.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

***How much can an instructor really see from the door of the plane?
reply]***

-->>A lot more than you think........were you turning, were you stable, did you pull on time....these are easy to see from the plane......at around 15 seconds an instructor should be going with you though..... I do anyways........ sounds like your instructors failed you.....not the method of instruction

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I did AFF & was through all of my cat's in 12 jumps, did my check out dive at #20 & got my a license. There is a girl atour dz now who is doing static line (well she's beyond the static part) she's now doing her 10 sec. delays. But as far as jump #'s go, she has about 5 on me and is now where near being done. I am a fan of AFF, just my 2 cents...

Re: original question ...
Now is a good time to switch from static-line to AFF.

Most Canadian DZs and the more modern American DZs ask students to do two or three S/L, IAD or tandem jumps before starting freefall training.

The goal is to get students comfortable under canopy before they deal with the additional stress of freefall.

Yes the term Accelerated Freefall refers to accelerated learning of freefall skills, but it still takes most students 20 or 25 jumps to learn all the skills needed for an A License, no matter which program they started with.

Bill Dause once told me "you have to jump a lot" I think he is right. Being a student will be a very small part of skydiving after you do 1,000 jumps. Pay attention, ask a lot of questions. Be willing to listen and learn. I still do......

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana" -Groucho Marx- "Tom flies like a rock" -Tom Carson-

To spend the extra cash or not??? AFF will certainly get you a bigger rush compaired to a SL/IAD program...well freefall wise...and a much bigger drain on you wallet! The choice is going to be yours...depending on a few things...money, patiance and money.

I did a IAD/PFF program and my costs were quite a bit less than if I had taken a AFF program...however...my FF skills are lacking,where my canopy skills are quite good(results may vary with individual studentsB|)...different people lean at different rates...with SL/IAD's ppl will learn there canopy skills faster(SL/IAD's get old real fast) and most will find themselves playing with the canopy to feed the rush.........AFF ...poof...40 to 60 sec FF...the rush is in the FF...the canopy ride dosent mean near as much....(I do my best canopy play after a hop and pop)....learn FF skills fast=AFF...have a upperhand on learning canopy control=SL/IAD.......you land the canopy...not the arch;).

Depending on your own agenda and skills, you must decide what will best suit your needs....wether it be continuing or switching (SL/IAD or AFF)....there are "pros and cons" to either....The almighty $ being a key factor.

Thats my 2 cents...as a IAD (student)...AFF students are welcome to give there $1.02 worth B|.

Who cares how ya do it as long as ya jump.......Blue Skies :)

The choice is going to be yours...depending on a few things...money, patiance and money.

Well I have (some) money, and I'm not too patient, so I think I may be switching to AFF. Thanks to everyone for the advice, and keep it comin if you've got something to add.

-Kramer