vonSanta

What things have landed (crashed) near you?

an old Bi-Plane crashed about 50 feet away from where i was standing.

A Blue Angel crashed about 300 yeards from where I was standing. I was first to reach the body of the pilot, face down in te mud..both legs ripped off at the knees.

A few jumpers have done crash and burn landings near me....and Ive done quite afew myself....concussion and broken bones etc.

Bill Cole D-41

I saw a Cessna take off, fly over me, then crash behind a line of trees a few hundred yards away. A few weeks later, I was driving to work past the end of the runway at MIA and a 707 cargo plane had just crashed on takeoff. A skydiver managed to land in a turn about ten yards from me. Luckily, he survived.

I do have a story that could have qualified me (or more accurately, my friend) for a Darwin award. When we were young, we liked to shoot bows and bb guns in his back yard. For some reason, Ed decided to shoot an arrow straight up. Immediately, he realized the stupidity of his action and we got up to flee. Before we could actually run, the arrow hit the ground right between us!

pumpkin! yeah that's coming up, the zhills pumpkin accuracy toss...B|

how about that glider plane that hit the trees right next to the landing area on his way to the runway?B|

Alysse and I were both under canopy heading towards that area when we saw the glider hit and slide to the trees(we were high enough out of range that it didn't scare us....except Alysse won't take up my offer to buy her a glider ride!:S)

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

I have two stories one short , one long.

I was in the landing area radioing a student one time when his ripcord with a metal handle came falling from the sky landing just a few feet away from me.....

I use to have a habit of taking off my altimeter, gloves and leather hat(back in the day) after a jump and throwing them down on top of my canopy after a jump. Well, one time when I was gearing up for a jump I couldn't find my leather hat. I had my suspicions that I may have packed up it up so I told my jump buddies to look out for it on opening. Sure shit, there it came out on deployment. Luckily, it didn't land in the corn.....

But once again gearing up for some other jump I couldn't find my altimeter. Knowing that it wouldn't fair as well from an impact with the earth as my leather hat I had to dump that pack job to see if I could locate it. After a couple of minutes feeling up my canopy it turned up.

Moral of the story.....DON'T THROW YOUR STUFF DOWN ON YOUR UNPACKED MAIN!!!

JM

Again, not skydiving related...

I was at an air show a few years back, and some guys with radio controlled planes were doing a recreation of a WWII bombing mission. It was all going well, until one of the mock anti-aircraft guns fell over and fired a flare directly at me. I just stood there like a muppet as this red hot ball of pain flashed past my leg - I only just realised how nasty that could have been! :S

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Anumber of years ago, i was at my DZ. I laid on a picnic table to watch a four way dive exit from about 8000 ft.
After watching the freefall part, i remained lying on the picnic table watching the canopies, when i noticed a dark object falling/floating towards me..it wasn't traveling downwards at a tremendous speed but kept getting closer.
Finally without ever getting up fom my reclined posistio i reached up my hand and CAUGHT a skydivers glove!
I always thought that was pretty cool.

I was out catching tandems at hinton about a year ago and the guy who used to run the cafe smacked into the ground a few feet away from me and my buddy and slid by on his face at high speed right past our feet. He came to a stop in the centre of the circle where the DZO was stood. He only broke his wrist or something but was out cold for a while.

Apparently he'd been practicing to break something for the last couple of weeks and had been repeatedly warned that his hp landings would get him hurt.

BAck in the eighties Sgt. Preston at Toogoolawha DZ in Queensland droped his ripcord after cutting away. It landed about thirty feet from us leaving a prfect impresion of the handel and even the spirals of the cable on the hood of his mothers car which he had borrowed for the weekend!!
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI