raider747

TSA pulled pins on rig

On Monday 29 Oct at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, Los Angeles, the TSA pulled both reserve and main pins on my non-aad equipped Vector. It remains to be seen whether or not they will honor their promise to reimburse the cost of a repack. It seems that the individual who opened the rig didn't realize that he was looking at a parachute system. Huh?...he must of thought that the owner of this peculiar backpack was so anal as to pack it in such a tight and symmetrical manner, topping off the effort with a nice lead seal and pretty red thread. Morons!

It was checked baggage. I asked to be present, but at John Wayne the bags get scanned down in the secure baggage area. If there's a problem, they contact you at the gate. I was contacted 15 mins b4 dept; they said my parachute had opened and wanted to know if they should "stuff" it back in or did I want to do it. I told them I absolutely wanted to do it as this was a big deal and would have repercussions. Missed the flight but got a good pt of contact to deal with. Contacted USPA and Skydiving Mag with the particulars.

From when I've seen riggers pack reserves, it appears to take some force and tools to get the reserve loop closed. I don't know if I'd be equipped to properly close a reserve (obviously would need to be reclosed and sealed by a rigger later), although I would typically have a pull-up cord with me for the main.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Done!

Nice talking on the phone with you.

So weird we were on the same plane for the 124-ways and never really talked! Of course, you were up in the co-pilot's seat and I was always the last guy on-board, so . . . we had quite a few folks between us. ;)

Anyway, when Ed Scott up at USPA headquarters gets your report I'm almost certain he'll try his best to make sure this doesn't happen again. He's been doing a great job up there in educating the TSA folks, but I guess the information doesn't get to everyone all the time. I'm sure most of the folks at SNA will know the proper procedures now.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It was checked baggage. I asked to be present, but at John Wayne the bags get scanned down in the secure baggage area.

It was my understanding that if you request to be present during examination they HAVE TO let you.

From the USPA info:
If the screener determines that the parachute rig needs to be opened, the owner will be paged and told where to report, to be present and assist.

FWIW, they do suggest that carry on is the more hassle free way to go.

Flew NW from Minneapolis to San Jose yesterday. Had all the documents (TSA policy, NW policy, cypres docs) and did carry on exactly because of these posts. Showed up early jut in case

Cruised right through.

I don't think I could check my rig ever again.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Yeah, they told me that if there was a problem I'd be paged at the gate. Unfortunately, the page came 15 min prior to departure and after they had pulled the pins. The primary departure from standard procedure occurred when they pulled the pins and then paged me at the gate.

:)fantastic job with TSA. Just remember it is the TSA's job to get the information and education out to the field, not USPA's.
Try to help them by taking along a copy of TSA's letter to Ed and USPA's page on the TSA advisory.

FYI. Having traveled several time this year with gear, I found that a secure hard case along with a call to the TSA office at the airports (Kansas City, Orlando, Datona, St. Louis, and Springfield MO) to discuss (read that inform them) my gear and then showing up early to get a face to face with the supervisor I talked to proved the be hassle free. In fact I spent a great deal of time "discussing" gear with the gate people and all appreciated the "education"

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

Ed Scott has done a fantastic job with TSA. Just remember it is the TSA's job to get the information and education out to the field, not USPA's.

My only point there is that pretty much only Ed Scott should be talking with the TSA folks in Washington who will then pass that information on down the line to the local airport screeners.

Ed is a professional and really seems to know how to deal with this better than anyone. He can apply a bit of influence up at the top, whereas we really can't do too much other than show up at the airport and have our documents/rigs in line with the established procedures. Then, if something wacky happens like this case, it's a matter of them not following the established procedures, which makes them look bad and not us.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yep, you gotta carry on these days. Maybe the TSA will reimburse you (personally I think its doubtful), but you will wait at least 6 months to find out.
I have a number of claims against the TSA and various airlines since all this security started (and never had a claim prior (when I could lock my bags)).
I have lost over $3500 in tools/electronics/clothing in the last year. TSA says the airlines did it, the Airlines say TSA did it. Quite convenient for both of them. That said, I have much more luck dealing with the TSA than with the Airlines, and the TSA is continually getting better.
Good luck though.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I would have loved to see that morrons face when the spring came out. I hope it hit him in the face.
--------------------------------------------------------
Some one must go to the edge for others to be able to find it. But if you go be sure you can make it back.

I've carried on my rig several times through John Wayne... no problems. I'll check anything but my rig. I paid to damn much to ever let that thing out of my sight. :P
Sorry to hear that they screwed with it. Guess if I ever check my rig I'll make up some tags to put on the handles advising against pulling [:/].

As a side note... The last few times I traveled with my rig, the screeners were more interested in my shoes than my parachute ... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

Thanks to all for the good info on traveling with a rig. I'm heading out today for Perris for the POPs W/R attempts.

Gathered all the referenced docs together (USPA letter, TSA letter, airline policy info) and will take it with me through the carryon checkpoint. We'll see how it goes.

Blues...

Bob

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Carry on is definately the way to go - I've carried my rig on approx 15 flights in the last year or so with no problems.

However I have just flown through LA en-route to NZ (Auckland) and some lovely person jemmied my bag open - they ruined a $400 dollar case - but luckily the bag was empty (of valuables). Luckily the airline was there to re-imburse me a whole $90 towards my one day old $400 suitcase.

The point I guess is to carry your rig on and remember to have insurance for your checked luggage as the airline will only pay approx $20 USD for each kilo of luggage so in this case I get approx $90 back !!!!

Just my $0.02c