AggieDave

UK Jumpers: I have a question

Currently at SD Aggieland we have a student we're trying to help get his A before he goes back to England. He lives near Kent and is over here taking some fireman training and disaster training from the Texas A&M Firefighting school.

Anyways, I wanted to help him out and help him find a DZ over there where he'll be excepted and helped along the way (especially if we're not able to get all of his jumps done by the time he leaves and he has to finish up student status over there).

Any UK DZ recommendations for my student?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Headcorn is really the only one round that area.

People refer to it as "Deadcorn" though...[:/]

I have never been so I'll leave it to others to comment on that DZ

There are a few nice ones just the other side of london... but then I guess it kinda depends where abouts he lives in kent how accessable they will be to him. I wouldnt want to have to circumnavigate london to get the my home DZ.

Move up to newcastle/sunderland/somewhere up nort and come to Peterlee. Will def come along there. B|

But if he lives in kent his nearest DZ is Headcorn. Ive never been, but it has a reputation for being unfriendly. [:/] For eg. A friend from our uni club was up to turns on the RAPS system. He phoned Headcorn up and asked if he could jump there, but they wouldnt let him unless he restarted back on S/L from jump 1 because he wasnt trained at their centre >:(

If he doesnt mind travelling Hinton is a good friendly place (my nearest DZ when Im not at Uni), but personally I think the plane is too small for them atm. (Black Beaver, speedy)

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Dave

If he was to come over to Weston on the Green he'll get a warm welcome (only problem would be the distance he'd have to travel).
We have the best rig store I've ever seen (loads of rigs ranging from 260's down to 150's for rent), plus we've just had a coaching weekend where we've just gained another 9 FS/WARP coaches (I know it's old terminology, but it works) so he'd be sure of people to learn from.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Headcorn is really the only one round that area.

People refer to it as "Deadcorn" though...[:/]

I have never been so I'll leave it to others to comment on that DZ

There are a few nice ones just the other side of london... but then I guess it kinda depends where abouts he lives in kent how accessable they will be to him. I wouldnt want to have to circumnavigate london to get the my home DZ.

Hi Aggie in contridiction o this recommendation of Headcorn, from personal experiance, avoid this dropzone for this type of continuation your student has to do. I came back from the states qualified with my A license, had my own rig etc etc and still they wantd me to fork out to repeat another level and some other crap, even though i was current by a week, it was a BPA recommended DZ (Sebastian), never failed a level, did Skydive U, they are just full of shit, so don't go there.

The place I would recommend is Sibson Parachutre Centre, great place and will help him out, as i have seen them do with other students in a similar position.

Avoid Headcorn as it is too full of bs, the comments above come out time and time again. Sibson near Peterborough is a very friendly place, particularly for freeflyers. Weston-on-the-Green is definately the best facility and good kit store although my favourite DZ is Hinton as you can guarantee a very warm welcome and excellent progression training. It has the best club atmosphere in the South/Midlands area.

Avoid Headcorn as it is too full of bs, the comments above come out time and time again. Sibson near Peterborough is a very friendly place, particularly for freeflyers. Weston-on-the-Green is definately the best facility and good kit store although my favourite DZ is Hinton as you can guarantee a very warm welcome and excellent progression training. It has the best club atmosphere in the South/Midlands area.

I have to say I agree with the general comments above - I have had similar experiences. One place not mentioned so far is Chatteris near Cambridge (which may be nearer depending on where your student is based) - www.ukskydiving.com which seems to be a very friendly DZ with good instructors. Hinton is another good place too - I haven't jumped at Weston / Sibson but I have heard good things about both places.

If your man's been living in the US I'm sure he's used to a bit of travelling...don't listen to us Brits when we talk about long distances, they're usually only long to us and laughable to the rest of the world...its only a little island you know!
Anyway, I've never actually jumped in my own country, and although I'm from Kent, have like many others been advised to give Headcorn a miss when I get back...shame coz its ten mins from my front door!

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

Nope, he lives in Kent, apparently he's in the London Fire Brigade and is over here doing some training. He noticed the price difference between US DZs and UK DZs, noticed the exchange rate and noticed that he won't be doing anything everyday after he's done with the fireman training, so he contacted us and we've been jumping everyday for the past week and a half trying to help him get his A license before he has to head back.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...don't listen to us Brits when we talk about long distances, they're usually only long to us and laughable to the rest of the world...its only a little island you know!

So true! I am from SA and spent quite a bit of time down in Cornwall on business. One time a customer kindly provided me with a weekend itinerary for sight-seeing the south of England. He suggested that I leave early in the mornings to ensure I got to see everything. I was back at St Austel by 4pm Saturday, having done both days' worth of sight-seeing!B|

Its probably not just the distance but the traffic... you really dont want to have to circumvent london on a week day and I cant imagine weekends will be much better.

The other thing is the petrol cost... Its about $6 a gallon here now. [:/] So it may not be far but it is expensive.

I've jumped at each of the DZ's below bar one, Netheravon is my current home?

Headcorn
+ Probably closest DZ, excellent bunks, friendly jumpers + DZO, Pete Sizer and Zygosis (home FS team) rock.
-Sloooow turnaround, altitude holds due to proximity to Gatwick/Heathrow, crap showers open to public, landing area is a long walk from packing shed, cafeteria is very expensive, someone nameless, who used to run Headcorn and is still a big wheel there now holds the role of Customer Prevention Officer #1. On a good day she is best avoided. On a bad day, go home..

Netheravon
+Multiple aircraft, generally good turnaround, no altitude problems, welcoming friendly staff, plenty of bunks, good toilet/showers, excellent bar/disco area, cheep beer, good food Ok prices, huge indoor packing area, largest landing area in europe, free camera slot for FS teams who register to train at Nethers.
-open to civvies weekends only, if you don't want to party on Friday/Saturday nights bring a tent, reputation for military jobsworthiness (but unfounded in my experience, perhaps 'cause they're all away fighting)

London Parachute School - I have visited this DZ but haven't jumped here so.....
+Closest DZ to London, and second closest in this list.
-Altitude issues, landing areas are off airport, seeing people landing in ploughed fields put me off, I have white on my jump suit.

North London Parachute Centre
+Excellent packing area, friendly staff, good canteen.
-Bit of a tandem/first jump course machine = slow, student/visiting jumpers landing area is a good walk from packing shed.

Hinton, Banbury
+Good packing area, mostly friendly staff, ok showers, toilets, manifest is lovely.
-Tandem/ first jump course machine = slow turnaround, sometimes not helped by air traffic control, issues sharing airspace with gliding club. Edited following IAM's update about the jumpship, pleased to hear it.:)
Getting to any of these DZ's by public transport is a mare, you really need a car, or a lift. And I think that turnaround at UK Dz's is always slow if you compare it to the slicker US DZ's (I feel the flame coming ).

Check this thread for the best UK DZ vote.

Dave, put your student in touch with me, if he comes to Nethers I'll make sure he gets a warm welcome.

Colin

If he doesnt mind travelling Hinton is a good friendly place (my nearest DZ when Im not at Uni), but personally I think the plane is too small for them atm. (Black Beaver, speedy)

Hinton now has a Nomad in for over the winter:):)B|B|B|
"Don't ever knock on deaths door, just ring the bell and run away - it really pisses him off"

I've jumped both, I'd still say its an improvement, the beaver is effing useless for RW.

AggieDave, I should have said, I did the same as your student, except I did my AFF in Australia. My first UK DZ after CAT8 downunder was Hinton. Dave Emerson the CCI was real cool, put me through my drills on the ground and had me do 1 jump with an instructor, before letting me on my way.

Only reasons I moved on was because they changed aircraft to a beaver (bad for 4way) and I joined a team of jumpers from Headcorn who were looking for a new DZ. They'd experienced the Beaver at headcorn, so they didn't want to jump it at Hinton.

Nice bunch of peeps at Hinton, Maddy, Gus and Alex (staffers) especially cool.

But after my first season here, my vote still goes to Nethers.

true - there are nice people at hinton, and maddy is great to put up with me and my mates enlessly bothering her in the shop and rarely buying anything.

Nomad is an improvement, but far from ideal. The first time I jumped it was after they had the let. After about 10 mins I looked at my alti and had a momentary panic as I was convinced it was broken... "10 minutes and only 3.5k??" (I jest not, I really did think it was broke). Then looking round at others alti's realised we really were that low.

Slow ass climber... but then what do you expect for a plane the size of a caravan with the same size engines as an islander.

I didnt quite understand why they got rid of the bigger plane over the summer. Probably cos of the speed.

And yes the beaver is a bit crappy for 4 way. Nice big door on the Nomad though. It was the first turbine I ever jumped. First time past 11k :)

Also Hinton has the Best DZ shop Ive been to.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.