why do people "give each other skin" in the plane?

I think giving skin in the plane servs two reasons.
First it says...Heres to us..The luckiest Sons-Of-Bitches in the world. This IS a great life we lead. And WE are the privlidged few...

Secondly I think it is a chance to leave all of the useless shit on the ground. So if the unfortunate happens, you parted ways on a good note.

Blue Ones!
DJ

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

I was still attached to the left riser of my main and my reserve had deployed but I was not going fast enough for it to open. So, with the freebag dangling below me, I managed to get a hold of it with my hands and throw it in the air to make it catch air. It caught air, slammed open and I hit the ground 1 second later. Only thing I could think to do. [:/]

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough!"

I give skin to show love, to say "Have a good skydive everyone!!!", [mutter under voice] to say goodbye just in case [\mutter under voice]

We sorta do a hooky type thing whereby you stick out only two fingers (index and major), hook them up at the first knuckle with the other personds two fingers, and then pull them apart... then the point... When it comes to the people at the other end that you can't reach, it then seems natural to simply show 'em the peace sign and the point.

Funny, I haven't really given it much thought until this post.

"Whuffo you guys keep slappin' hands?" lol.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I don't know, but it feels really good doesn't it?...especially when you're starting out. I can remember being nervous as f**k on a few early AFF jumps, a bit of skin from a few others in the plane (especially a 'cool' freeflyer!!) put a big smile on my face and just made me forget the nerves, feel part of the family and remember that this is f**king amazing!

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish

I don't know, but it feels really good doesn't it?...especially when you're starting out. I can remember being nervous as f**k on a few early AFF jumps, a bit of skin from a few others in the plane (especially a 'cool' freeflyer!!) put a big smile on my face and just made me forget the nerves, feel part of the family and remember that this is f**king amazing!

Aye, I experienced the same thing. Also made me feel like not just a wannabe, but more like a part of the community. That and more experienced jumpers actually talking to me on the plane ride up was reassuring and felt good. Am a beginner still at 66 jumps but I try to do the same for students. Also a good way to start future friendships :)

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I quit skydiving and now I'm back. I too thought it was really strange how touchy, feely this sport has become. I thought it only occurred at the drop zone that I re-started jumping at, but after going to several drop zones, eveyone is giving skin.

Before it was a "Blue Skies, Black Death," yell as we rolled down the runway. Then it was "Eat, F---,Skydive!" as we lined up for exit.

A lot has changed...Why go head down and decrease your free fall time?

Why are canopys so itty bitty, decreasing canopy time?

So many questions...

Why are canopys so itty bitty, decreasing canopy time?

Why go so fucking slow on a big canopy when you can rip a fat-nasty 270 and drop out of the sky going 70mph? I'd much rather go fast.

Why would you want to fly on your belly and try to accomplish something that has been going along well for the past 30+ years, when you can work hard and pioneer the cutting edge of the sport that didn't really get its true start until the mid 1990s?

B|B|;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What do people in the US do? Why?

I've seen everything you've seen in the UK and Spain here in California...and then some! Fists, slap of palms and a strike like swords, etc. Cool stuff...B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Why go so fucking slow on a big canopy when you can rip a fat-nasty 270 and drop out of the sky going 70mph? I'd much rather go fast.

Why would you want to fly on your belly and try to accomplish something that has been going along well for the past 30+ years, when you can work hard and pioneer the cutting edge of the sport that didn't really get its true start until the mid 1990s?

'cuz they like it.

'cuz they like it.

Exactly! That was the point I was making with my previous post. Although, I am wonder how many caught the sarcasm and realized I wasn't being totally serious, just trying to prove a point.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

'cuz they like it.

Exactly! That was the point I was making with my previous post. Although, I am wonder how many caught the sarcasm and realized I wasn't being totally serious, just trying to prove a point.

Probably about as many that recognized the sarcasm in the first post....

;)

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

On my first tandem dive, I was taught that this was the "skydiver's handshake." Slide palms, then point. It means "Have fun, and don't forget to pull."

Of course, I was also once told that when you take a big bite of a peanut-butter & jelly sandwich, take a few chews, then open your mouth and show it to someone, it means "I love you."
AMDG

I do it for two reasons, as bad as they sound, they're true.

The first is to have fun, be safe, and have a kickass skydive!! B|

The second is just in case something happens to me on that jump. I wanna make sure those people know just from the look on my face and the skin that I slapped that I care for them and respect them, and there are no loose ties with them.

Kind of a morbid reason, but imho, a good one. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.