skipro101

scared

I am almost at 25 jumps and am about to get my A license. I have spent 4400 on gear and 1.8k on training.

Now I sit here, reading the incidents forum, watching malfunctions on skydivingmovies.com and im

well...

scared.

Do any of you get this way? Question whether or not you should be doing this?

I guess it might have something to do with having two malfucntions in a row (both two outs)...

I dunno. I just got this feeling in my stomach like...It would be so incredibly easy to die.

Its even worse on the plan ride up....

While in freefall I am constantly worried about not being able to find my handle. On my last two jumps I pulled 1.5k higher than I was supposed too..on purpose...because I had that gut feeling.

I hope this goes away.

It will go away, but it takes active measure from you too. Be prepared and ready for a mal, but don't be paranoid about it, either. You can psych yourself out of a jump, if you do that.

The best cure is to go to the DZ and get some jumps, relax and remind yourself that you've practiced your emergancy proceedures, that you'll do what you need to do when it needs to be done.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If I were you, I'd consider avoiding the Incidents forum for a while. I understand that there is great educational value in the posts there, but with your level of knowledge/experience, it's probably overwhelming. Get some more experience, and continue learning about your equipment. The more you learn, the safer you'll feel.

Good luck.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

The thing that you need to have in mind when you are reading the incedents forum or talking about mals, is that its for your best educatoin. We can learn from the mistakes or circumstances that other people have experienced. This can help you in the case that you are in a similar situation.

When I first started jumping I often had the same thing you did, because I knew a lot of the things that could go wrong and they made me nervous. Eventually I realized that it was a good thing to know and to just let the stuff hang out in the back of my mind so that I have it as a tool to help me survive in a bad situation.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I dunno. I just got this feeling in my stomach like...It would be so incredibly easy to die.

*** It is incredibly easy to die.Take everything you can from the really experienced people around you and learn from it.They are still around for a reason.I find that I learn on the ground as well as in the air.Good decisions and a safety conscious attitute starts well before you ever board the airplane.
Don't avoid the incident forums, they are a good place to find out what is killing people.Don't do those things.
Then there is luck......

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I had the same kind of feelings when I started jumping. I felt really pressured to continue in the sport because my husband was a long time jumper and all of our friends were jumpers. I didn't feel like I could really talk about being so nervous about jumping with them without seeming like a scaredy cat. I was always self-talking on the plane ride up..."I don't have to jump if I don't want...blah blah." But I kept on getting out.

I know this is going to sound weird, but the thing that helped me the most was actually having a function.

I remember thinking, this is it...it either works or it doesn't...and if it doesn't, I won't have too long to worry about it.

I finally figured out that I was afraid that I wouldn't perform under pressure. That was on my 82nd jump. Since then, the butterflies have gone away.

It really is okay to have nerves, nerves keep you sharp...but don't let it get in the way of doing something you love to do.

Remember, statistically speaking, you have a much better chance of being injured or killed in a car accident on the way to the DZ.

First off, it's perfectly normal to be scared. It will eventually go away. For me personally, it took me around 100 jumps before i could relax in the plane and joke around. Now i'm at a bit over 700 jumps and occasionally i'll have a panic moment. Like jumping a different rig, or jumping after an extremely hard opening. But those cases are rare and i'm usually napping, or joking around on the ride to altitude.

You already know that skydiving is dangerous and you can be killed. It's a risk we as skydivers choose to take. Perhaps just doing 2 ways with someone you know and trust to kinda relax you would be a good starting point.

In any case, don't give up and don't lose hope. If you need someone to talk to, shoot me a PM. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

When i first started jumping a few months ago i couldn't get enough of skydiving. If i wasn't jumping i was watching videos and reading forum post trying to understand everything. When i found the mal videos at skydivemovies.com i was half scared half curious. Every one i watched actually made me feel a little better about jumping. I was able to see that yes these things do unfortunately happen but here is why it went wrong and how to avoid it. I routinely find myself (on the ride to alti) checking around the plane looking for the stuff that had caused or been a contributing part of the mals. It's natural to be scared when you first start but like everyone else has said don't scare yourself out of jumping. Think about everything you see in an informational perspective. How can this make me (you) a better skydiver.

----------------------------
Its even worse on the plan ride up....
----------------------------
try sitting back closing your eyes and just clearing our mind. Don't concentrate on everything that has happened, only what your about to do. Go over the dive flow, review handle procedures (muscle memorization)
Eventually that scared feeling starts to get replaced with good feelings of good time with friends. hope this helps

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

Dude just relax. Do not pay attention to any of the forums on malfunctions and incidents but for learning purposes. As long as you are confident in yourself and your abilities you will be fine. I have 46 jumps and can relax and joke in the plane (most of the time I take a nap) but I am not complacent, I know that if I have a mal I can handle it because my training has prepared me for that situation. There is always a little bit of you that will say holy shit I am jumping out of a plane but the love for the sports and the thrill is what gets you out that door. Blue skies bro.

>Do any of you get this way? Question whether or not you should be doing this?

I have on occasion. The feeling has always gone away. If I were you I'd find something I like doing and feel comfortable at (say, hop and pops or 2-ways) and just do that for a while until you're comfortable at doing that, then start on new things.

99% of skydivers are a little apprehensive on every jump. Having no fear at all is just as dangerous as being scared to death; both can cause you to make bad decisions.

It may be that you get to the 100 jump point and you still feel the same fear that you feel now. There's nothing wrong with that; we are wired (fortunately) to have a fear of heights, and some people just can't overcome that programming. If anything, it makes them more sane. If you get to that point you'll have to decide if the fear you feel outweighs the good things you get out of skydiving. If it's still making you do things like pull 1500 feet high on a regular basis, that could be a real problem.

I believe you can do it....trust in yourself.

I've had malfunctions and got rid of them and used my reserve successfully many times, and I'm still here.If I can, so can you.

On your next plane ride up, remember that I believe in you...and know you will do everything right.
I will await your posting after you have proven me right....have a good jump, and dont waste time worrying about it.

He can, who thinks he can.

Bill Cole D-41;);)

The more familiar you are with each part of the jump, the more you'll feel you can master changes.

So practice your emergency procedures in a hanging harness, with people pulling on you and yelling. You'll figure things out about yourself and how you react physically and when distracted. No, it's not real, but it's better than just thinking about it.

Practice your PLFs and landing techniques, so that small diversions don't become major distractions.

If you're a belly flyer, dirt dive really slowly, really thinking about the mechanics of each point. Then it'll be more natural, and something you don't have to specifically think about as hard.

Each part that you've really integrated into your skill set and awareness is something that you can handle better in an emergency. At just about A license qualified, you understand most of the dangers, and are lucky enough to realize that they are real, and that they can apply to you. Trust me, that's much better than figuring you have it all scoped out.

There are emergency situations in driving that require instant reactions, but you're familiar enough with the rest of driving that you can think in a hurry. Strive to get experienced enough to do that skydiving, and don't exceed your limits until you have enough brain cells left over to deal with problems.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ahhh. I did the same thing. I did a tandem 2.5yrs ago then back in may of this year I got reinterested in skydiving because of a friend. So I watched everything I could and of course like you I found the Incidents forum, and the mals at skydivingmovies.com and I thought to myself NO way, thats too scary/dangerous. But then I realised how much damn fun it was, and what most of the accidents were caused by (low turns) so that got me pumped again. Now granted there are freak accidents that no ammount of prep work could have prevented but those are like you having a vein burst in your brain and kill you, no one could have known. I still get nervous in the door (Im at 5 jumps now) but I was practicing spotting on my Aff3 and I got really comfortable just being in the door without jumping and just enjoying this wonderful sport we have, Until jumprun that is.:)

Being scared about throwing yourself out of a plane???.......What kinda wuss are you?;)

Hehe...joking....I think being scared is normal and somewhat required for us low number jumpers.Some good advise has been given already,relaxation drills and emergency proceedures reviews...etc.

With already having 2 mals....You should be fairly confident in your ability to handle a emergency(save your own life).

After my self induced mal....I was very scared and aprehensive(spel) about going back to freefall...so i did a hop and pop from 5k.....felt great...and I also leaned a contributing factor in my mal by having a instructor watch me deploy......

Plan your next jump to meet your comfort level...and go from thereB|

Most skydivers hit a "wall" somwhere around the 25-50 jump mark. This wall is the result of your exposure to a lot of information that has finally come together.

While a student, the brain's perceptual filters have a way of isolating bits of information so that you don't "overload." Finally, there comes a point where the emotion and logic collide and you realize not only what you're doing, but the myriad of things that can go wrong. Needless to say, logic kicks in more and you begin the, "What am I doing?" phase.

Here's what I've suggested to folks that I've seen hit that wall... 1) like the thread above, take a break from reading all the downsides, incidents, etc., 2) make ten more fun jumps. Nothing complicated... just get out by yourself or go with someone,but maybe making three clean points on the dive rather than trying for ten or twelve. Enjoy the skydive.

Push past the wall. Stay away from the negative. Make some fun jumps, enjoy yourself for awhile.

Yeah man - I remember I had 70 or so jumps and was standing on the ramp of a CASA on jump run when it hit. I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life. If I didn't have a teammates that I'd be letting down at the time I don't know if I would have gone on.

Needless to say I did the jump and broke the wall, but I don't think I'll ever forget that moment.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Its good to hear that everyone knows what im talking about. Ive been watching some freefly videos (what im interested in) and have been talking to my coaches.

I think once my gear arrives (1.5 weeks!) I will feel better. I wont have to have a different rig every time with a different handle in different places on 15 year old gear etc etc...

I think I will feel much better with that rig.
I cant jump this weekend so I ought to have my gear by the next time I jump....NO MORE STUDENT GEAR!....

I think this will help

Thanks for all the comments, you people rock.

AS a <40 jumper I can only agree with SHMALI......I feel nervous as hell on every jump ( and the longer I leave it between jumps the worse it gets)....I'm sure that will eventually go away, as others have suggested...but that dont help me /you who is still feeling it. Id like to share with you/others my feelings on all this, as I think it could help.
1) TIME...do everything with plenty of time....get to the DZ....get manifested...get ready with plenty of time....I hate the feeling that I have been rushed in any of these things, it just dont help.

2)THOUGHT...think about your dive on the ride up...yeah right...It worked during AFF, but I get so nervous on the ride up and constantly going over th dive helps but can make it worse...if you know what your gonna do...fine...and although everyone says think positive thoughts....at this stage I just visualize my EP's ...thats it.....it does not scare me...just makes me feel more confident

3) 9.5K on a 12K drop...get ready...everyone else may look at you thinking...jeez he's keen...getting ready earlier will just make you feel more relaxed..and give you that extra 5 mins with something that dont feel right...like the elastic on your goggles !!

4) 10K close your eyes and FEEL all your handles...then visualise your jump

5)EXIT TIME...stand/kneel before the people in front of you exit...close eyes and check all handles again....NOW is the time to think positive..!!....step up...you know what you have to do...you just have to do it!!....take a sec to just breathe...smile at those around and then TOTAL FOCUS outside...off you go !

Just a personal thing....never shout out YEAH !!! WOOOHHH! when you exit.....no point tempting the Gods who control, random problems !!

Just my thoughts man...take em or leave em

Just wanna add.....I got nothing but respect and awe for the general peeps in the SD community who dont make at all a big thing of peeps being a bit 'scared'

I've had some strange and close calls .....ie saving my own life, sewing myself up etc with some other activities.....but the hardcore have made me feel a bit slope....that just dont exist in the SD community

I respect it and I love it.....and all you brothers and sisters out there !!:)

>Do any of you get this way?
>Question whether or not you should be doing this?

Oh, it comes and goes.

Sometimes I delve into it, other times I use some bit
of sports psychology, and other times I just accept
it as a normal part of skydiving and keep on truckin'.

It's a valid question, maybe not whether I "should be",
but whether I "want to", or whether it's worth it.

Skr

1) TIME...do everything with plenty of time....get to the DZ....get manifested...get ready with plenty of time....I hate the feeling that I have been rushed in any of these things, it just dont help.

This might depend on the person. As a student, sometimes I think I'm better off if we get moving right away. Sitting for a couple hours waiting for the weather to clear seems worst. Lots of time to dwell, without knowing when the tension will be released.

The nice part is that it all seems to go away the minute, err, second I leave the door.

>

If it's still making you do things like pull 1500 feet high on a regular basis, that could be a real problem.

Is there anything actually wrong with deciding to pull at 4000 or so rather than the 2-3k hard deck allowed? Gives you a greater capacity for accident management and so long as it's known, doesn't put anyone else at issue. (Shouldn't even if they don't)

People stick to lower wing loadings for the same reason.

Gives you a greater capacity for accident management and so long as it's known, doesn't put anyone else at issue. (Shouldn't even if they don't)

You just answered your own question. There is nothing at all wrong with pulling at 4-5K, hell even 10K or 13K, as long as people know in advance! It wont make much difference at a small DZ usually, but when you get to a big DZ with non-stop turbines, you're asking for problems if you pull 1500K higher than planned.

Plan the dive, dive the plan