quade

“Guts and Bolts”, History Channel, Oct. 13 at 6:30 p.m. MST -- USAF Press Release

http://www.af.mil/stories/story.asp?storyID=123005775

Show features academy skydivers

10/10/2003 - U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. (AFPN) -- The U.S. Air Force Academy’s skydiving program will be featured on the History Channel’s new series, “Guts and Bolts.” The new series, which premiered Sept. 13, gives viewers a behind-the-scenes glimpse at the history and inner-workings of today’s most fascinating technologies.

Members of the 98th Flying Training Squadron will be featured in a segment of the program that airs Oct. 13 at 6:30 p.m. MST. The segment will be repeated Oct. 19, at 9 p.m. MST and Oct. 25, at 4 p.m. MST.

In July, “Guts and Bolts” host Tim Beggy and producer/cameraman Chris Gidez, along with a Denver video crew, visited the academy for three days to see how cadets train to become skydivers.

Gidez said the key to the program was finding a cool, process-oriented story that lets the show explain how something works. Being able to skydive with an elite team and examine the intricacies of parachute rigging really appealed to Gidez. Another element of the program is that Beggy must be able to participate.

“We look for stories that put the host in challenging environments,” Gidez said.

During the visit, Beggy did a tandem jump with Master Sgt. Rick McClure and participated in ground training with the academy’s basic freefall parachuting class. Before the jump, cadet instructors showed Beggy aircraft exit procedures, freefall body position, harness training and parachute landing to prevent injury. He also learned the basics of aerial maneuvers needed for competition skydiving, and how a parachute works and is packed, courtesy of the squadron’s parachute riggers.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I would really really appreciate it if someone who has cable would be willing to tape this for me.

we live out in the boonies and cable isn't an option.

please PM me if you are willing to help me out.

Thanks!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Almost every thing I have seen on the history Channel is available on Tape AFTER the program airs.

http://store.aetv.com/html/subject/index.jhtml;jsessionid=CNYNGQDJEGF2IQOXHDECBH0B022MOIY4?id=1093

Here is one that is on thrill seeking.. yes they include skydiving.

http://store.aetv.com/html/search/index.jhtml?search=skydiving&x=6&y=9

I think it would be a good addition to the tape library

Jeanne

If anyone has ever thought:

"there's NO WAY you could put a student out for an unassisted freefall, alone, on their first jump!"

You should watch this show.

They can, and they do.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

The History channel sent a copy of the show to us on Friday, they did a really great job of editing it together. It doesn't really go too in depth of the AM490 program (the academy's basic parachuting program), but it is more of an overview of how things work there. They are talking about coming back to do a second show with a more in depth look at the AM490 program.

And yes, watching a student make their very first jump out of a plane at 4500ft for a 10 sec delay with no jm in freefall is damn weird!

If anyone cares, when the host does the tandem, I'm the first one docked on the tandem's right arm.
Miami

If anyone has ever thought:

"there's NO WAY you could put a student out for an unassisted freefall, alone, on their first jump!"

You should watch this show.

They can, and they do.

I learned that way (along with thousands of others) at South Florida Parachutes Inc. in Indiantown, Florida. The first jump was a hop and pop from 3200'. In 20 or more years of operation they only had 1 student fatality. The fatality was a gear problem by the way, not training.

never pull low......unless you are

I was going through the AM 490 program when the History Channel came in July. I felt very prepared for my first jump in that program. The training is intense and I felt as if I was prepared if something was to happen. After 5 jumps I loved it so much here I am now a little more that 2 months later with my A license. I am looking forward to seeing what the History Channel produces.

B Moore

wow, that's my dream job..... working for the 98th fts not watching this show.... just got to get my numbers up there and a couple rating and i'm gona submit a package..... i just hope if i would ever get selected my funcional manager would let me go........

hey if anyone has it on tape and wants to share let me know.... i don't have cable either right now.. i would gladly pay for postage and return the tape to you...... digital would work to, i got broadband....lol.....

I didn't tape it the first time it was on, but I will be taping it, when it's on again (I think the 19th). If you don't get any responses before then, let me know, I'll send you a copy.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.