Chizazz

I need Health Insurance!!!

Hey everybody!! I can't find cheap health insurance anywhere that covers skydiving accidents!!! My dad's insurance covers me until I'm 25 but it excludes skydiving. So I hafta find something so if I biff hardcore and hafta go to the hospital I won't be paying doctors bills forever. There must be something out there!! There's thousands of us!! Somebody let me know what they use!!!!

You will be hard pressed to find any health insurance that will cover you in a skydiving accident...........so if by the off chance you do get hurt..........don't tell them that skydiving was involved...............(I.E.) LIE YOUR ASS OFF. Or just don't get hurt!B|

My info from being self employed and getting my own individual health ins. coverage a few years ago:

Try Mutual of Omaha, and Unicare. Get an independent agent to do the work for you. Don't ask them to lie for you but do find a discreet theoretical way to express your needs re: coverage and "recreational activities such as SCUBA diving, hang gliding, skydiving," etc.

If you think you will only be uninsured for a short time, you can buy short-term insurance (I forget what they call it) for up to one year. It is non-renewable -- meaning after the period is up, you can re-apply but not automatically renew. And if you have had to actually USE your insurance during that period, they will not be interested in insuring you again...

Group insurance like Blue Cross/Blue Shield, if you can even get it, is very expensive. If you are not part of a group, you don't "enroll" in a plan, you "APPLY" for coverage. Application questions for most plans DO ask if you participate in skydiving etc. Some are very specific, asking if you have participated in the past six months or plan to participate in the next six months. My understanding was that if I answered yes, I could still get the insurance but they would specifically exclude coverage for any skydiving related injuries. If I lied and did have a skydiving related injury, and their investigation showed I did lie, they would still not pay for it and would cancel my insurance and I'd be in a higher risk pool and have to pay more for insurance.

I got Mutual of Omaha insurance, purchased through a local independent agent. There was nothing in writing on the application about skydiving. During the phone interview with the company prior to final approval, they asked me "Do you participate in any hazardous recreational sports such as blah blah, skydiving, or blah blah?" At the time I was on a hiatus so I replied "no."

YMMV, and I'm not an insurance expert. Just remember that you can tell whatever story you want about an injury if you walk into the ER but if you are brought in unconscious or picked up in an ambulance at the dz that's another story.

I can't find cheap health insurance anywhere that covers skydiving accidents!

The typical family of four coverage from Blue Cross that will cover anything costs about $1,000.00 per month, and the deductable is $5,000.00, so you will still pay for the runny-nose visits. The high costs are due to "the poor" who don't pay anything for everything. If you don't have any assets like equity in a house then forget it and take the beggar's way out if you get hurt.

If you don't have any assets like equity in a house then forget it and take the beggar's way out if you get hurt.

True. I've been told hospitals make their $$ from insurance; anything they get from the uninsured is gravy. Not to say I think it's okay to get services and not pay, but you can make just about any payment arrangement with hospitals to pay off an uninsured bill, and they will usually accept it without any further action as long as you are making a good faith effort. I had no assets, low risks and no insurance for years. (Then I started skydiving, got health insurance, and my appendix ruptured a few months later... see, insurance IS bad for you!)

I guess you started like 4 threads about this, since I replied to one of them, but I don't know where that went.

If you want, I can PM you my dad's number, he sells insurance (mostly life insurance and bonding large construction firms, but he does do health some) and if anything he could help point you in the right direction.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have a Blue Cross account that I pay out of pocket. It costs $48/month with a $1,000 deductible. Of course, that's up from the $35/month it cost when I started the policy. It doesn't exclude skydiving. I've heard lots of people talk about policies in the hundreds of dollars per month and I just don't understand how that happens. If you are young and healthy, you don't need massive coverage. You need to be covered in case of an emergency for extraordinary expenses. If you have chronic health problems or lots of expensive prescriptions, then it might make sense to get a plan with coverage of things like doctors visits and drugs, but otherwise it makes zero economic sense.