Brian425

My first Solo today!!!

I did my first solo today!!! It was great. I was a little nervous but excited as well.

On the way up, my teacher told me to go to the door, dive out and grab my knees and tumble then stabilize myself. I thought she was CRAZY. She told me "You can do it." I was in the door a good 10 seconds before jumping. I was scared!

The jump went perfect!!! I dove out, grabbed my knees and tumbled for about a second or two. I arched and got stable. Then it felt like it took forever to fall. I checked the altimeter and did my practice touches. I did a few small turns and checked the altimeter and it was not even 8k yet. I did a barrel roll and got stable and it was not even 7k. I took a little time to actually enjoy the view for the first time. I waved at 6k and pulled.

I realized that I have become a creature of habit. After my gear check, I forgot to give my wife a kiss before going to the loading area. I ran back to give her a quick kiss and all was right. It might sound silly but it just makes me feel better.

The canopy ride was one of the best so far. The leaves are changing up here in NY. I also saw what I think was a hawk not too far away. It was just soaring along. I landed nicely, not in the peas; but, I stood it up. I think I actually looked like I knew what I was doing.

I bought some beer and hung out for a little while to talk with everyone. Overall just a great day.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Brian

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Knowing that you can recover after bad instability out the door is good for your confidence, and a lot of fun!

Staying after the last jump to get to know the regulars is a good way to become a regular, and not thought of as just another face that will come and go. Once you become part of the DZ family, your progression can really take off with the help of others.

Welcome to the show.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

On my first solo (last weekend) I was a total wuss! All I did was jump out of the plane and fall in an arch all the way to 4500'. Should I do one more solo before moving onto my coached jumps and do some different stuff? Opinions, anyone? Thanks!

Blue Skies,

Kelly

I realized that I have become a creature of habit. After my gear check, I forgot to give my wife a kiss before going to the loading area. I ran back to give her a quick kiss and all was right. It might sound silly but it just makes me feel better.

You keep doing this part and you are 50% there! She'll let you keep jumping 4-ever. Keep up the great work. The other 50% is your gear checks, but you've also got that covered too. Best of luck and congrats.

Wish I could do a first solo again.... I'd buy beer and everything. B|

I am looking forward to my coach jumps. From what my coaches say it seems these jumps will be a little more fun (if possible).

My coach said that we will focus on docking, forward and backward movements, and flat tracking away on heading to a safe distance, stop and open safely.

After that, my understanding is that the next jumps will be a little like a game. Coach adjusts fall rate, I adjust to match. Coach moves away, I must follow. A little like a game of cat and mouse in the sky.

I have been warned that I am not allowed to reach to dock. I must use my legs to fly in gently and dock.

It should be fun!!

Brian

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

B|Man! That sounds so great! But being new and have only one IAD solo,sounds like I should not rush into it to fast or else. But my chemicals are just brewing out of whack man! ONE DAY man. ONE DAY. I am saving up, working like grit, and having patience while I am hearing all these great stories. Man! ONE DAY man...:)

Stuart,

I've been riding a motorcycle since I was 12, I'm 34 now. I still look to learn new things. I always look to see what I can learn from others. It's too easy and a lot less painful when you learn from other.

I see skydiving the same way. I figure I will still be learning at 2,000 jumps. It's just a matter of what skills I want to focus on and hone at that time.

I am little worried that the butterflies will go away. As strange as it sounds, I enjoy being a little afraid.

Thanks for everything guys.

Brian