SkydiveNFlorida

Did I ask you for a gear check?

I think this thread is NOT about doing gearchecks.

It IS about the simple courtesy of letting someone know what you are doing before touching their rig.

Agreed!!!

Please visually look at my gear - don't touch anything - point out something you think looks odd and why.

That's all I expect, and that's all I give unless asked.

I, too would be pretty annoyed and then concerned if some unknown person started pulling and tugging on my gear in the plane!

I can understand the need to vent in the original post partly because she's female. While it might not be a great idea to assume that's why someone is checking your gear - I have been talked down to, patronized and had more experienced jumpers and even less experienced jumpers be outright condescending because I'm female. That plus the 'show your tits mentality' of alot of guys can occasionally really get to you. Other times, you can blow it off.

I don't even think it's right for instructors to grab students' gear and check it without asking. The point that ultimately they are responsible for saving their own lives should be made from the beginning. That's not to say that instructors shouldn't check - but a "Do you mind if I give your gear a checking?" and then explaining what you're checking for and why would not only be polite but also reinforce a sense of responsibility.

Just MHO.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

I would be very nervous if someone I didn't know started touching my gear without telling me what they were doing and why.

That reply was directed at (my friend)Gemini. I am the safety nut on our loads although unless they are a student or new jumper I WILL ask first. If I see something amiss or questionable I WILL bring it to your attention. If you are a 50 jump wonder I will ask to gear check you if you are near me and I haven't seen someone else check you and you SHOULD appreciate it. I have over 1500 jumps in 3 years and I usually present my rig to be checked by someone I trust. I've had a misrouted bridle on a Racer spotted on the ground that would NOT have pulled my pin! It would have been my 1st reserve ride (hopefully) if this had not been checked.
I agree that someone should ask before checking your gear if they don't know you, but if it happens before you can stop it, assume that they are showing that they care and ask them not to do it again with out your request and if you are unsure have someone else that you trust check it again before exit. A go around for a safety issue is never frowned upon to my knowledge. Did I mention the reserve pin that in the middle of the day had almost backed out and found just before jump run a month ago?
I realize that this thread started out as an invasion of privacy issue but safety is the direction it turned.

I do check my reserve pin before leaving the ground. I do check my main pin in the plane. Angela.

Do you have eyes in the back of your head. Your profile shows you have 51 jumps and YOU are checking your pin? Maybe that's why someone took it upon themselves to check for you. Didn't someone else who said they check their own pin on the airplane recently have a premature?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do check my reserve pin before leaving the ground. I do check my main pin in the plane. Angela.

Do you have eyes in the back of your head. Your profile shows you have 51 jumps and YOU are checking your pin? Maybe that's why someone took it upon themselves to check for you. Didn't someone else who said they check their own pin on the airplane recently have a premature?

This comment concerned me too. You may be able to feel your pin behind you, but feeling that your pin is seated correctly won't help you at all if your bridle is misrouted.

I totally understand not being comfortable with an unknown person messing with your gear. But as has already been pointed out several times, you could just get another person you trusted to check it afterwards. I have never had someone do an unsolicited gear check on me before. I DO get a gear check before EVERY jump from someone I trust. And if someone asks me if I want them to check my reserve I always say yes (unless I don't trust them - then I have someone else do it). To me that is just playing with fate.... I'd hate to have someone ask if I wanted a gear check, turn it down, and then have a preventable mal on that jump.:S

Anyone checking your gear is probably doing so out of concern for his/her fellow jumper. If they don't have the social tact to ask first, you could always say, "thanks for looking out for me, but in the future please ask first."

Fall in dove.

I would be very nervous if someone I didn't know started touching my gear without telling me what they were doing and why.

That reply was directed at (my friend)Gemini. I am the safety bitch on our loads although unless they are a student or new jumper I WILL ask first. If I see something amiss or questionable I WILL bring it to your attention. If you are a 50 jump wonder I will ask to gear check you if you are near me and I haven't seen someone else check you and you SHOULD appreciate it. I have over 1500 jumps in 3 years and I usually present my rig to be checked by someone I trust. I've had a misrouted bridle on a Racer spotted on the ground that would NOT have pulled my pin! It would have been my 1st reserve ride (hopefully) if this had not been checked.
I agree that someone should ask before checking your gear if they don't know you, but if it happens before you can stop it, assume that they are showing that they care and ask them not to do it again with out your request and if you are unsure have someone else that you trust check it again before exit. A go around for a safety issue is never frowned upon to my knowledge. Did I mention the reserve pin that in the middle of the day had almost backed out and found just before jump run a month ago?
I realize that this thread started out as an invasion of privacy issue but safety is the direction it turned.

I wasn't typing specifically to you. Your post was just the last one in the thread when I hit reply. It was just a general comment...

if someone started messing with my gear who I didn't know, and didn't ask them to fix anything, and they didn't even tell me what they were doing, just started opening things and poking around, I'd want to take the rig off and check for myself, and even then, I'd go running off to my instructor to make sure they didn't screw it up, because who knows, the random person poking around my rig could have even less experience than I do!

I understand your frustration. It’s a little scary to have someone touching your equipment if you have not asked, particularly if you may not know and trust him or her.

However, I have to ask what your feelings would be if he found a critical flaw?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Anyway, if the person who was checking your shit was an instructor, then you ought not fret. If it was some 50 jump chump who was known for careless tampering of rigs, then you might have cause to be alarmed.

I think the big issue here is that it was somebody visiting from another DZ that she did not know....or have any idea as to their experience and/or competence level. I, personally, don't want anybody messing with my gear without first asking unless it's an issue that is an immediate safety concern(such as a pilot chute out of the BOC).

How many times a day do you check your reserve pin?

I know I'm in the vast minority, but I check my reserve pin after every pack job and just before donning the rig. I even go as far as to pull on the reserve ripcord cable(from just above the pin, not the handle) and make sure the cable moves at the handle end.....and this is because several years ago, at a large DZ here in Florida, several reserve ripcords were found to have been cut and stuffed back into the housing and not easily noticeable. It's thought it was done by a packer with a vendetta against certain people, but not known for sure.

Mike

[QUOTE]I know I'm in the vast minority, but I check my reserve pin after every pack job and just before donning the rig.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, dude. I check my reserve ripcord after I pack every time. And always right before I don it before heading out to the aircraft. It's a good habit to get into.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I'm with you, dude. I check my reserve ripcord after I pack every time. And always right before I don it before heading out to the aircraft. It's a good habit to get into.

I don't because I value the rigidity of my reserve tuck tabs. Modern reserve flaps are not designed to be constantly opened and closed.

If you're that concerned about your reserve pin, then on many rigs you can have the manufacturer install a clear plastic reserve flap that you can see through. Generally these are only found on student gear, though.

Alternately, if you do want to visually inspect your pin after every jump and pack-job, be sure to regularly ask your rigger about your tuck tabs. They will likely need frequent replacing.

Myself, I check my gear at the start of every day, I then am careful of not disturbing the pin throughout the day. I do pin checks, or request them only if I have reason to.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>Modern reserve flaps are not designed to be constantly opened and closed.

And velcro closures were? I can't count how many worn out velcro-closed reserve and main flaps I saw ten years ago. You'd see them flapping in freefall all the time. They don't last much longer than 300-500 jumps.

You gotta do what you need to to safely check your rig. If that wears out the flaps, get them replaced as you would replace any other part of your rig that wears, from main lines to risers to PC pocket spandex.

There are a lot of ways to check a rig. One thorough check at the beginning of the day, followed by a quick check of everything before each jump, may be sufficient. But I cringe when I hear reasons like "I don't want to wear out my rig by checking it too often."

I will swat people away if they start poking and prodding my gear. Ultimately I am responsible for my own safety, as are we all responsible for our own safty. I welcome comments or suggestions about my gear if it seems out of place to someone, I've had things pop open or poke out while shuffling around in the plane, but uninvited tinkering...NO. I pack my own reserve and my own main, I know my gear better than anyone on the planet -- better than any X,000 jump instructor-guru.

I perform gear checks on myself religiously, before I get on the plane and while on the plane several times. I probably annoy people with the amount of times I check my main flap and shoulder flaps (it *IS* a Voodoo after all). It is my choice, my preference, and I don't knock anyone for doing something different. I try to set a good example and like someone else pointed out earlier, maybe lower-time jumpers or even experience jumpers will feel more comfortable doing gear checks if someone else is doing it. I think it promotes a positive-safe atmosphere.

But let's get two things straight here:
1) Just because someone has 50-something jumps does not make then incompetent, or in this case, incompetent when it comes to their own gear.

2) Just because someone is an instructor does not make them competent to start fiddling with someone's gear. The instructor that initiated this chain of events (did not actually do the gear check) is, in my opinion, unqualified and an idiot. Confidence does not equate to competence.

So to sum this up, don't assume anything about anything or anyone. Don't assume the person mucking with your gear is competent. Don't assume that you are competent enough to uninvitingly muck with anyone's gear. Pay attention to the people around you, notice their equipment and attitude, ask if something doesn't seem correct. Being considerate and polite can be combined quite well with being safe.

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

*** well, then maybe you should stay in the back and be last out because you know what, that is the chance you take when you get in that plane.

Shows your inexperience. I was giving examples. If your reserve fires in the door you will more then likely take the whole plane out as you are pulled through the side of the aircraft! Being in the back of the plane may or may not save anyone.

Someone could very well get a pin check and still somehow catch their pop top on something and out comes a reserve.

Very true! Accidents happen. At least they did what ever they could to make sure it was safe. IMHO YOU do not have enough experience to be checking your own gear anyway. That is a blanket statment for new jumpers with your number and time in the sport. I bet I could hook your rig up wrong in at least three different ways that could kill you and you could check your own gear and not see it, even if you checked it 5 times! By the time I went through the Static line JCC I had already been a military jumpmaster for over a year and had done thousands of gear checks, both military and civilian. Patty Chernis (RIP) was our instructor and picked on me because of my military experience and showed me different rigs that she had hooked up. I looked at everyone of them and said they where good to go. Then she showed me that there was a potential killer gig in each one of the rigs I had just said was safe to jump! So you don't know as much as you think you do at this stage. Shit we just had a jumper that went all day with there three rings hooked up wrong on one side! She was given gear checks by people that she trusted and none of them caught it! She just happend to be talking to someone else before loading a plane and they happened to notice something a little strange and saw she had misrouted it. So even gear checks by true professionals aren't always gonna save you. But one last check never hurts. It's the one that you don't get that kills you!

Dom

How can your gauge my ability to check my gear? I pack the gear. I hooked the main up. I cocked the pilot chute. I routed the bridal. I think I can feel the pin and check the damn gear. No one is trying to screw with my rig like your military people are, and apparently even you weren't able to tell what the problems were, so what difference does it make if I could or not since obviously not many can.

again, a misrouted 3 ring system is a visual inspection, not someone touching my gear unasked for.

Some of you just like to argue, while I suppose others really don't mind if someone messes with their stuff. Well, you know what? ? I DO! So ask me first!

Angela.

I posted this elsewhere but:

1. Who here knows of an accident caused by a gear check. A real honest to god it happened, not "I saw an ugly gear check this weekend"

I don't agree that people should start opening rigs without asking. Don't get a gear check, do get one. It's a choice.

I'll ask and get one.

I've seen a main pin get pulled by someone giving a gear check.

Yikes ... that's kind of scary.

I'll often ask someone to check if my container is still closed and the tabs are all tucked in, meaning that everything is fine since I already checked the gear before I put it on (ie: the pilot chute is cocked etc, etc, etc). But definitely would be turned off if someone was to just start fondling my gear without my permisssion.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I learned very early on what my main pin felt like when reaching behind my back - I'd rather check it myself. After someone checks it, I check it. A few times I've found the tuck tab not fully tucked in.
A few weeks ago someone deemed that they should check my reserve flap. They patted me on the back marking "all's well" I reached round & found that they had left one side's tuck tab not tucked in @ all!!

Ask if I want a check. No one will die from one done correctly.

Freeflying & sitting in the back near the tandems often means my rig gets touched alot by unknowing elbows & feet & the what not - I'm w/ Kaerock & prob annoy anyone watching me @ all what with checking & re-checking my main flap & riser covers.

The issue here is TO ASK, ASK ASK - do not assume.

My reserve doesn't have a bottom tab & so can be checked before putting on the rig w/o opening the flap. Then, once on my back; due to the angle of the container, it is very rare that anything touches the area around the reserve flap. And if something does, I can typically feel it - esp if it's enough to jar the pin. Do reserve flaps honestly have to be opened in a crowded plane when everyones starting to stand up, put on helmets, shake hands & do final mental dives?

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

How can your gauge my ability to check my gear?

Just by your jump numbers. The same way people can tell when someone is going to femur themselves when they try to jump a to small canopy at your level. If you where here I would show you that I am right. So we will have to agree to disagree.

No one is trying to screw with my rig like your military people are, and apparently even you weren't able to tell what the problems were, so what difference does it make if I could or not since obviously not many can.

It wasn't Military gear I was talking about. It was my static line JCC for skydiving. I was saying the same things to her as you are syaing. "I packed it, I hooked it up, blah blah blah. The point that PAtty was making was that none of us know everything and there is always something that can get you. Don't take it as an offense to you. Take it as someone looking out for you and themsleves and everyone else on the plane. I am not trying to argue with you. Just bring different things to your attention. A good majority (in fact almost every) death I have seen in this sport could have been prevented. Some by gear checks that didn't happen because the person wearing the rig didn't want or feel the need for a gear check. Sometimes they die sometimes they take other people out with them. How bad would you feel if you where the cause of an accident because you didn't check your gear before you went out the door and it cost someone else there life? Our took out the DZ's plane? I am sorry but once again I don't believe a low time jumper should be checking there own gear in the plane! Hell there are a lot of jumpers period tht I don't think should be checking there own gear. BTW I bet if that guy who pissed you off had seen yo give yourself a gear check he wouldn't have touched your gear at all. Didn't you say you where about ready to jump when he did it? Had you checked your gear prior to him doing it? No one asks me if I want a gear check because they see me do it about 10 times on the way up. I don't ask people that I see do their own if they want one unless they are low timers, and if I see a low timer get near the door with out one you bet I am going to give him or her one! So if you don't want me to check you then you better get one from some one else!
Dom

At that point we were to be jumping soon. Everyone was starting to get on their knees to check their gear. As I was about to, and did proceed to do after this guy took it upon himself to open up my flaps. I don't care who you are, you do not have the right to do this to someone. You need to make someone aware at least, or more politely, you should ask them if you can check their gear for them. I am sorry you don't believe I should check my own gear, but it is my decision to make, not yours.

Another person mentioned maybe i'd been moving, etc. No, that is not the case. I was sitting in front of this guy and neither of us had been moving. I try to refrain from moving much on the plane as it makes people nervous, and rightly so. It makes me nervous when i'm siting in front of someone who continually moves.

Another mentioned my lack of a cypres.. wtf does that have to do with anything? ! Stay on the subject people!

sheesh.
Angela.

As I was about to, and did proceed to do after this guy took it upon himself to open up my flaps.

If you gave yourself a gear check why were you worried?

What was it that had you worried? Why did it worry you?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Keep in mind the way that people have been trained as well. At the DZ I learned at it was mandatory for every jumper to be checked prior to jumping. Didn't matter your experience level and it was checked by the person behind you. The less movement the better in the plane. This person was probably doing what they had been taught to do. Please don't take it as an attack on you personally. My statment about jump numbers is more or less a blanket statement for new jumpers male or female. If more experienced jumpers took charge of low timers we would see a lot less accidents in our sport. Personaly I don't care if a low timer gets made at me for something like that. One thing I think that a lot of people forget these days is that you are not only effecting yourself when you skydive. There are hundreds of things that can happen to other jumpers as a direct result of your actions. All the way from taking out a plane with more then 20 people on it, to ripping some ones canopy by landing on it. When it comes to my life and the lives of my friends on the plane I don't give a damn about about personal property issues at the point.
Dom

I keep seeing a "I don't care what you think..." remark. Threads are about opinion. These opinions are about a persons personal space. I can understand why people would get a little tense when someone says "I have a right to your personal space and I don't care what you think", I'm that way too. Maybe there is a better phrase to use and a little more thought as to the reaction.

I think everyone needs a gear check. Lack of one almost cost me my life one time, so I have my reasons that I won't get into.

I do a visual of everyone I can see. I am sorry if it gets misinterpreted, they can discuss it with me later. Not only do I do visuals, I discuss it with everyone who will listen about once a month.

I ask for a check from a person that I can trust. That precludes the problem that started this thread.

I firmly believe that anyone who thinks that they are mistake-proof is an idiot. Anyone who I have offending by calling them an idiot needs to provide proof of their total perfection in order to receive an apology.

As I was about to, and did proceed to do after this guy took it upon himself to open up my flaps.

If you gave yourself a gear check why were you worried?

What was it that had you worried? Why did it worry you?

-
Jim

blah blah blah. Dude, I can't check my reserve pin. I'm so sick of your asking questions like i'm supposed to have to answer you. I really don't. Did you answer me when I asked if you would mind if I went fiddling with your gear? No, you didn't. Did I ask again? No, because I really don't care. :S

Angela.

No comment on your perception of gender issues and being violated, however ...

I agree with your main point. We need to be honest and accept that increasingly larger numbers of skydivers no longer thoroughly understand the construction and function of their own gear ...much less a system used by someone else. To compound the problem, they believe they do have the knowledge and experience to do this.

Michael

If the answer is no, then DON'T CHECK MY GEAR!!

What is with people? What gives you the right to open my damn reserve flap when I didn't even ask you to check my gear? I almost punched this guy. Please don't assume because someone has low jump #s or because i'm a chick or whatever, that I want you to check my gear. If I want a gear check, i'll ask for one. Until then, HANDS OFF!

Just venting! I don't know how many other people have this problem, but it's damn annoying!@

Angela.

Same thing happened to my wife 2 years ago. When the person checking the pin lifted the main flap his finger caught bridal when lifting the main cover and he pulled the pin out.

Sucks, but at least they weren't near the door and he paid for her slot. He felt horrible about it though...

Blue skies
ian
Performance Designs Factory Team