dkf1979

Help me!!!!

Ok, i just made my 3rd jump which was a static line jump with a PRCP. On the ground the practicing was great. Arch thousand, Reach thousand, Pull thousand, Check Canopy. That ripcord handle couldn't have been in a more natural place. My hand went right to it immediatly. But after realeasing the strut... I searched frantically for that rip cord handle. What seemed like an eternaty was probably only a second or 2. But it really makes me scared about having to pull it all on my own 3 jumps from now. Anyone have and advice or something to make me feel better about the whole thing?
http://bodypilot.bounceme.net

talk to your instructors. You really need to communicate any problems you are having to them as directly and honestly as possible. It's safer for you and you'll learn quicker this way.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I concur...speak with your instructors!....but......on a S/L,IAD practice pull you are being pulled by your canopy starting to open as you go for your handle/paper...the real pull is generally easier as you are not being "yanked back"........only down by our dear friend GRAVITYB|

This is quite a common problem and one we're only just starting to reocgnise at my DZ.

When people are practicing on the ground they do so with the main still in the container. This creates a stable platform for the DP handle which is always in the same place. When the student exits the aircraft the main leaves the container and the DP handle is now attached to a floppy bit of fabric which moves around!

I've seen the Instructors at the DZ recently take the main out of the container and have the student practice the pull.

The other major bit of advise said to me during my progression was 'Don't try and beat the Canopy'. You won't get the handle before it deploys, you'll rush and you'll mess up.

As said above make sure you talk to your instructors and get their advice, it might be worth asking them to go through the main out procedure so you get a better idea of how the handle/container will feel.

tom

One piece of advice that helped me on dummy pulls was that instead of going straight for the handle, slap your buttock (the one just below where the handle is located) and then move your hand up until you find the bottom of the container and hence the handle.

The fact that when doing a dummy pull the main container has opened is a very important point.

I found it more useful practicing with a rig that had already been jumped as this is the state of the container when you go for the dummy handle.

After doing a jump try placing the DRP back in the container and you'll notice that the bottom of the container housing the DRP can move around alot more.

Ask your instructor about this count...

Arch thousand
Look thousand (look at where the handle is)
Reach thousand
Pull thousand

I like it better than not looking for the handle first.
lookin' for that old time, friendly, club-like dz

Arch thousand
Reach thousand
Pull thousand

After you 'pull thousand' then you should ARCH again to make sure you maintain stable through through the opening!

Just a thought, but i have seen the "LOOK THOUSAND" cause the jumper to de-arch, because they are bent forward looking at or for the pull out.
Muscle memory is everything. I spent the week prior to my first clear and pull practicing in bed in an arched position....but never mind my sex life....everyone sleeps with their rig, right?? lol:P

:P I had similar problems. My first solo pull was on jump #10. I had problems with de-arch on practice pulls and finally got 2 good ones in. On my first pull I left the strut and went for pull as this is all I could think about. I had a mess above me with 3 or 4 twists, collapsed end cells, but got them fixed and landed fine. I de-arched off the strut and pulled in a spin. My instructor said to try again and this time to do it just like practice pull, you have lots of time. The next jump I had a good solid arch off the plane and the pull was great. Keep trying and I know this sounds easy, but do a good count and hold your arch and keep eyes on plane all the way through your pull. It will give you great confidence when you do your first pull!

Arch thousand
Reach thousand
Pull thousand

If you are using a BOC deployment you delete the "look thousand" from your count. We have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there are FAR fewer instances of roll-overs due to de-arching while "looking" for that BOC (which you cannot see even if you try). Schools who are still using hip-mounted soft ripcord cables would be wise to do the same. Repetition of action during repeated drills and trust that the handle will be there are more than enough risk reducers to warrant removing the "look." I taught SL for many, many years with ripcord rigs and was totally fascinated how much cleaner my students' exits became when we finally switched to BOC and took out the "look."

Chuck

Chuck

Hi,

I don't usually post, and I'm not an instructor in any way but I wanted to share something with you.

Yes, practice pulls can be tough - heck when I was doing mine I never did get them right and switched over to PFF (like AFF). (Always an option by the way, if your instructors agree.) So here's my suggestion: relax. Your instructors aren't going to be having you pull your own chute until they're confident you can do it. You've got lots of time, and if it takes you 10 practice pulls to feel confident, then so be it.

Take your instructors advice, and what you find useful here, and relax. You'll get it. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself, it can make things worse.

Good luck. Have fun.

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind