Auryn

Intentional Cutaway ?

I have been seriously entertaining the idea of doing an intentional cutaway.. Now the question is the logistics. If I do it, I want to do it the right way.

I know one needs a three canopy system.. how many of them are around, and what does one have to to get ahold of one of these systems for a little while ?

is there any way to rig a third canopy to my harness/container so I can do it on my main and reserve?

I jump at the Skydiving Place outside Fayetteville NC, and I would think someone in that area would have the necessary gear.. Would love to know what do to get my hands on one for an afternoon.

finally, does anyone have any stories about how their's went ? was it what you expected ?

the reason I want to do this is because I want to get rid of that huge "unknown" feeling I have about it, and have the experience. I know it wouldnt be like a real mal, but I think it would be a good experience.

plus there's addition of the "cutaway main accuracy" element.. see if I can get my main to land within 10 meters of the target :)

Blue Ones !

Bryan

how does the 3 canopy rig work ?? does it have 2 square reserves ?? or 1 round and 1 square ??
is one of the reserves releasable ??
I know of people who did jumps in switzerland with an extra reserve, a round, belly mounted.
now I try to imagine what happens if the square reserve screws.. SCARY...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

As I've said before, jumping with three parachutes is far more dangerous than jumping with two. Please make sure you use a rig that was specifically designed for breakaway training, and that use receive proper instruction in its use. We have several Skyhook RSL demo breakaway rigs at the Relative Workshop, and they sometimes travel to other drop zones. Call us to try to set something up. (386)736-7589

As I've said before, jumping with three parachutes is far more dangerous than jumping with two.

Interesting Bill. Do you think the risk of doing an intentional cutaway outweighs the benefit?

I`d be very interested in your opinion.

Cheers,

Ollie

I think Bill meant that the "malufunction tree" has more "roots", sort of like tandem tree - more handles to pull, more ways to pull them and screw up, more possibilities of entanglement. I think that's what happened to Rob Harris... :(

If you use the correct rig, and get the proper training, then the risk of an intentional cutaway is out weighed by the benefit...but only if the procedure and handles used in the cutaway closely match the same emergency handles on the rig you usually use. If the handles are different, you are practicing a different emergency procedure, and therefore actually hurting yourself.

As I've said before, jumping with three parachutes is far more dangerous than jumping with two. Please make sure you use a rig that was specifically designed for breakaway training, and that use receive proper instruction in its use.

I guess i should've mentioned that the rig i used is only used as an intentional cutaway rig. And i did indeed get the proper training. The cutaway and reserve handles were in the same place. I did have to practice where the second reserve handle was along with the belly mount handles.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

is there any way to rig a third canopy to my harness/container so I can do it on my main and reserve?

Yes. A couple. But ithey require some hardware, and someone qualified to sew harnesses. Does not require changes to the original harness.

I've got 17 intentional, and one real now. If you want to know what the sensation of release feels like, jump a ballon. I think just reviewing you emergency procedures is a bigger benifit, as an intentional cutaway is not a good comparison due to the lack of unexpectedness and spike of adreniline.

If you just make sure to review, review, review, then when you experience the real thing non-eventful.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

There are many ways to do one.

Probably the best method for a 'practice' cutaway is a rig designed for such use. Generally this kind of system has a regular main, a reserve that's normal other than a means to cut _it_ away, and a teritary reserve. Often the reserve is a round tersh mounted on the front. That requires a specialized rig though. What's nice about it is that it works like a regular rig as long as the first reserve doesn't mal, so it's great practice.

A second way to do it is with a set of cutaway main risers and a chest mount or direct bag main. These main risers have harness rings on them so the cutaway main can be attached to them. These are often used in stunts, but there is a very nasty malfunction mode (accidental pull of the regular cutaway handle) that can really screw you up. A problem similar to that killed Rob Harris.

A third way to do it is to use two sets of mini-risers on large harness rings. The first main is deployed from a chest-mount or via direct bag; the second main is attached normally. I've done this a few times. A warning - this is NOT how 3-ring systems are designed to work; the risers are not guaranteed to remain clear of each other when two risers are used on one ring.

Intentional cutaways are like tandems in that the decision tree is a lot longer. With every handle you add, you double the complexity of operation - so two extra handles leaves you with a rig that's way more than twice as complicated to use.