R00tj00se

Taking a break

So after reading the 'How old then, how old now' thread it made me wonder if people have had a non-stop skydiving 'career' (for want of a better word) or have any of you taken a break for a period of time? If so what did you do with your life?

I started back in '93, did 23 jumps, gave up because I had no money (was just a poor Uni student) and started again in 98/99 (can't remember exactly when).
Got about 550 jumps now and thinking of taking a break again (can't bring myself to say 'giving up') to go get my Private Pilots License - afraid I can't afford to do both at the same time :(
Strange, never thought I would voluntarily 'take a break' from skydiving after taking it up again.

So, anyway else done/thinking the same??

Guess I'm still on a break, after 20 years I stopped jumping in 1996 except one jump last year where I followed a friend out who was doing a tandem. After that jump, I still couldn't see any reason to start again. What have I done with myself since quitting? I married a rich woman and am enjoying life to the hilt:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I think that I am on my third break now. I have stopped due to money, or rather lack their of. I stopped jumping when my first son was born and now i am taking a few month's off in order to re-model a house so that I can move. But no matter what the reason I don't think that I could ever quit.
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

I started jumping in 96. Lost a lot of money on something called college, stopped jumping in 98. Started again in 99-00, but had to quit again in 02 when my son was born. My best friend was injured badly at the 300 way attempt in Chicago a few years back, and I have stood by him through recovery and neither of us have had much desire to jump again. I actually sold my gear due to my sobbatical. It was old anyway. I still love the sport, but while I am broke and my son is dependant, I don't see any reason to put my life at risk in front of him. Maybe when he gets a little older. By the way, you really only need 1-2 jumps a year to stay current if you have a D liscense.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

Huh, yes i'm taking a break. i've been on vacation for 7 days, with no jumping. it's 10 days now. and i have to wait for another 3 to get back in the air.

Well it sounds like break to me ;):D

For real: I haven't stopped jumping since i started in 2001. i don't think i can. no matter what, girls, love, money,...

I know how to clean the airplane, and that's almost worth a hop n' pop from 3000 feet :P
"George just lucky i guess!"

I started in 89 and stopped in 93, got married and a kid. Stared again last week. A 10 year break. Will see how it goes with the family. They aren't happy campers about it, but they decided to let me jump again.

What the f%#K,over? They let you? How bout some cajones!B|

I took a break. About a year during college, then I jumped really regularly for about 7 years. Then, when I had a baby, and my then-husband quit jumping, I cut way way back. Made maybe 100 jumps in the next 4 years (MAYBE!). That was to 1988. Made 2 in 1992, and then started again in April 2001.

I never thought of myself as having quit; I kept my gear (still have it as a backup rig). I was just not jumping. I could easily imagine doing the same thing again, if something I cared enough about (and a good family life at home, at that time, was worth it to me).

I could have forced the issue and kept jumping. Just didn't want to -- it takes a lot of time from having a house and raising a family to 'do' jumping right. My ex wasn't actively unsupportive, but we did things together away from the drop zone.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Made my first jump in 1989. Jumped on a really slow pace (no money ) up till 1995. Stopped all together (less than no money) until 2 months from NOW when my new rig arrives so that was an 8 year layoff and I hope I never take a break again.

B|

I had a 19 year break. Before the break I did approx 1000 jumps, was an instructor, heavily involved in club work etc etc etc. I think I just burned out! Post break I just fun jump--no hassles. During the break I got financially sorted out, built a career and went to college.

Don't you worry, my "cojones" (mind you if I correct your misspelling ;)) are where they are supposed to be and haven't had a malfunction on them either :)But, whatever we do, is always in accordance with each other. They come first for me. Just a matter of opinion. Don't mind at all if others think differently. :)

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

I started in 1973, and jumped a lot (by the standards of the time and place) until the early 1980s. I had several years of no jumps at all, and some with very few jumps. Mostly due to college (10 years worth), and competition burn-out. I tried it again in late 2000 and decided it was fun again. I'm very glad to be back.

My wife is quite good about my weekend absences.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I've had 2 'breaks" since I started jumping. Did my first jump in 2000 and then for various reasons ended up taking 9 months off. Came back in 2001 and did a few more jumps and then ended up taking 10 months off 'cause my dad was dying and I preferred to spend time with him while he was dying. Came back into the sport in Aug. 2002 and am hopefully back for good. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Well I'm going to have to take my first brake pretty soon :( I got 19 jumps left

I'm going to start my own business in about 6 months and I need to save up and can use all the money I got

One thing is for sure though: I will be back for more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18.5 years, and no break yet, apart from 6 weeks for a broken femur in 1987.

I jump weekends only, so I get a break every week.
I've also done 4 way, 8 way, big way, camera, CF rotation, rec crew, AFF, Tandem, (bad)freefly, (new)birdman... and if anything - worry about not being able to keep up.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I took a 5 month break while i was still a student. I decided to take the winter off cause it was too hard for me to concentrate on my jump objectives when it was so frikcin cold!!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Started in 1974, while a student. Money and logistics made it slow going, didn't get off student status 'til '75, made my 100th jump in '76. Then thhings started picking up. Moved to San Diego and started making the Perris Valley scene, jumped myself silly for a few years, even made a legal permit jump off El Capitan. Then I got bored, really bored with it and started rediscovering life off the dropzone. Discovered the woman I'd marry. Made the last jump for that era in Dec. 1980. Got married in '81, sold the rig to an eager young kid in '82, I'm sure he just jumped the shit out of it, so that's good. Never thought much about it through the eighties or nineties. The few times I'd see it were just too painful, I'd miss it very badly. But we raised two nice girls, it was worth it.

Moved back to So. Cal. last year and went looking for old friends at Perris & Elsinore. "Unfortunately" I found a few and decided I just had to get back in the game. I'm so grateful, so incredibly fortunate to be back. It's more beautiful than ever.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

real weird to see this post, there i am not able to sleep and wondering why skydiving consumes me less this week than last week, looking for the perfect words...how ironic
Im in grad school and having trouble focusing on more than one great focus in my life...
not ready to take a break, but confused about the mental powers behind this sport...
any thoughts?[:/]

I got severly injured in '99.

I took a two year breake to get fully recovered. Something which most people do not do.

I went to the gym and rehab to get all the mobility and strength I could possibly have.

I will never be 100% again as I do not have all the original parts I was born with. I am very very close though and unless you knew about my injury you could not tell.

I am not jumping as much as I used to b/c of some financial issues. Hopefully that will be somewhat resolved soon though. :)
I always keep my head high though.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!! B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES