tunaplanet

Equipment

I am in the market for a complete rig. I have spent the majority of my time skydiving in the military, so the equipment we used is a tad different from what is used recreationally. What would be best for someone like me? I have been using a good buddy of mines Strong Z-Po. It's all right, but something is lacking. It's a lot smaller than I am used to. I believe it is 210 square feet. I could get my hands on a PARIS or even an MC-4 but haven't even checked to see if it is allowed at DZs. Is it?

If not, what canopy and and container would you reccomend? I am looking for something at least 320-350 square feet. A lot of what I have seen for sale on the internet is not what I am looking for.

Please help this frustrated ex squid.

Forty-two

You will find that military skydive gear has several imporant differences to most recreational gear.
You wont really need such a big canopy to have a safe and enjoyable skydive.

Most military canopy fabric is either made of F111 material, or in some cases a combination of F111 and ZP material used for the 'topskin' of the canopy.

Modern recreational canopies are mostly made entirely of ZP material which is less porous, allowing it to safely carry a bit more weight per sq.ft. than a military (F111) equivalent.
Furthermore, military canopies are quite large because they expect the average soldier to be heavier than the average recreational skydiver, especialy if the military jumper is carrying a fair amount of military gear.

As an example, you can see on the http://www.parachutesystems.co.za website that they have recreational ZP canopies that are 230 sqft and smaller, as well as 2 military rig models. The combination ZP/F111 canopy is a 285 and the F111 canopy is a 360.
There is probably nothing 'wrong' to buy and use one of these if you really want to.. but you will probably prefer one of the recreational ZP types.

Dont be in a hurry to buy gear just yet; jump some of the rental gear that most dropzones have, speak to recreational skydive instructors. They are the best people to suggest the most suitable size and type of canopy to use for your weight and experience level.

Best of luck.;)

Appreciate your feedback. I fully understand the differences in military versus recreational gear. My main question is there a size limit on chutes at DZs and are rigs such as the PARIS and the MC-4 allowed?

To answer an earlier poster inquiring why I would want a larger canopy, it's a comfort thing. I realize the reason canopies are larger in the military is a weight issue, but I have been using rigs of this nature for about 6 years and am extremely comfortable with them.

Maybe it's just the Strong Z-Po. Has anyone else used these? My friend said it would be similiar to what I am used to but it's very different.

Maybe I am just too picky and need to drink more.

Forty-two

I would be supprised if any DZ had an upper limit on the size of canopy you could fly. There are no national rules on this so any restriction would be down to the individual DZ.... you'll have to ask.

I'll warn you now though, most people will tell you you're crazy. They will expect you to be on a canopy that is similar in square footage to your weight (with gear) in lb. So long as your jump something that is slightly larger than you weigh there is no real safety increase in jumping something huge... there may even be safety issues.

For example, if you are jumping some goliath canopy then any small winds could effectively ground you as you simply will not be able to make any headway against them.

Go down to your local DZ, chat to them. They are the only ones who can answer your question about if you can jump the canopies you want. They may be able to give you some useful info on how civi canopies fly and allay any worries you may have about them.

Dude, i have a perfect rig for you. 210 sabre 200 jumps on it . Check it under my profile. It's in classifieds too. I did my military transition on that rig and it work perfect.B|
I'll see you when I see you and if I don't see you.........Hell with you.