skipro101

found some bad in skydiving

So here I sit having spent over 5k on AFF/license training and new gear and on the verge of getting lower than a C- in a course that is required for me major (with a test tomorrow that I should be studying for) and im surfing the dropzone.com forums and just bought a skydive t-shirt.

im afraid im going to end up like the people who live in trailers at the dz.

im afraid im going to end up like the people who live in trailers at the dz.

Some of the people living in trailers at the DZ have more than you and I could ever imagine. I can think of worse problems.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Yeah, really. I could think of worse things:P I thought about getting a trailer and living at a dz, but dammit, got.. to.. finish... college.. *sigh*.

Hey, I hear ya. I've got a Calculus test tomorrow that i'm *almost* ready for, and a Chem test next Monday that i'm fearing like the plague. And, here I sit, typing away.

Sometimes I wish they'd ban my IP from this site.

Angela.

And why would yo ube afraid of that?? Some of my closest friends on the DZ live in those trailers and happen to be some of the most awsome people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. It's so great to get away from the people in your life who are worried about the "things"....new houses, new cars, their big movie screen televisions. DAMMIT...I wanna live in the trailers. :P

Yeah, really. I could think of worse things:P I thought about getting a trailer and living at a dz, but dammit, got.. to.. finish... college.. *sigh*.

Hey, I hear ya. I've got a Calculus test tomorrow that i'm *almost* ready for, and a Chem test next Monday that i'm fearing like the plague. And, here I sit, typing away.

Sometimes I wish they'd ban my IP from this site.

Angela.

haha, you know how im feeling then! I didnt even mention the Chem test this friday for me and the Diff EQ test this upcomming monday!

someone shoot me

I'm *still* at A&M, been in school since fall of '98. At this point I really wouldn't mind being one of those guys that lives on the DZ.

What have I learned in school? Well, I got my Coach rating and a tandem rating. The rest of that stuff? Eh, fuck it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had a few friends who quit college because it interfered with their skydiving. Most of them are more successful than I am. One of them was a three time World Champion and he owns a drop zone. If I'd only known. I quit skydiving because it was interfering with college....Steve1

I spent a ton of money towards my education. In the beginning, right after high school I went to a tech school in Minnesota, trying to learn mechanical drafting and design. My mind however, was on the up coming jumpmaster certification course, followed by many demos, compliments of "The Freedom Flyers Parachute Team" and jumping at any opportunity I had.

I went to a Junior college after tech school to begin to try to learn what I should have learned in high school, such as simple algebra, but again my head was in the clouds. All I could think about was the up coming demos, AFF courses, teaching skydiving, etc. (I never learned anything in high school because at 16 I began to jump out of airplanes (1979)).

I finally went to the University of Minnesota, compliments of a rich great aunt that I didn't know. I used her money one summer and went to Roger Nelson's Freak Brothers Convention (1982?)
Shortly after, I dropped out of college.

The bottom line is I spent a lot of money towards an education that I never really wanted, and never got. I could have spent it in skydiving and would have been happier.

PS: I finally got my college degree...in accounting. My job now...insurance claims. Go figure.

I've got an idea:
Switch majors...to skydiving. You laugh, but hear me out.

Several years ago while I was in school, and getting loans and grant money to fund my education, some fellow skydivers and I came with a brilliant idea. If the DZ could formulate a several year skydiving course that would say, prepare you to be a professional skydiver, and then get accreditation for the program, you'd be able to major in skydiving. You could get financial aid for it, some kind of degree (ratings, licenses). People do it for airplane pilots, why not skydving?

Imagine getting a state or federal grant to skydive...scholarships too!

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Pinch me i'm dreaming... OUCH not really.

-------------------------------
you'd be able to major in skydiving
-------------------------------

Hehe that would probably be that best 'schooling' I ever had. Get paid to learn to jump or so

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

I've got an idea:
Switch majors...to skydiving. You laugh, but hear me out.

Several years ago while I was in school, and getting loans and grant money to fund my education, some fellow skydivers and I came with a brilliant idea. If the DZ could formulate a several year skydiving course that would say, prepare you to be a professional skydiver, and then get accreditation for the program, you'd be able to major in skydiving. You could get financial aid for it, some kind of degree (ratings, licenses). People do it for airplane pilots, why not skydving?

Imagine getting a state or federal grant to skydive...scholarships too!

-R

Now THAT is dreaming! :)

Skydiving school. It's been done. http://www.skydiving.co.nz/skydiving-career.php

To bad. Last time I checked it looked like a non turbine dropzone.

Does anywone know about this place? I'm more than a bit skeptical.

-------------------------------------------------------
Windwalker
Whatever doesn't kill me, just makes me cry.

Hey I am living in one of those trailers. And its great. I take my house to whereever I want to jump, hang out as long as I want then move on to the next dz. And I dont have to worry about driving home after the end of the jump day beers. All in all I wouldn't want it any other way.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

I'm *still* at A&M, been in school since fall of '98. At this point I really wouldn't mind being one of those guys that lives on the DZ.

What have I learned in school? Well, I got my Coach rating and a tandem rating. The rest of that stuff? Eh, fuck it.

You learned the number one lesson in skydiving ...how to make money off skydiving.

Michael