dkf1979

high pulls

Hey, i've got a question. Say you're 14,000 feet, you're the last to leave the aircraft.... would there be a problem with opening your chute at 12000 feet? Cause I love being under the canopy. Just listening to the nylon ripple, breathing the clean crisp air, and absorbing the beautiful views. Is there a problem with pulling at high altitudes?
http://bodypilot.bounceme.net

No problem at all as long as you are aware of what the winds are doing and as long as you let manifest, the pilot, and the others on the load know what you are doing.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

What they said.

When I first changed to the canopy that I am currently flying from the student one I made a hop n pop from 14000. Was a nice long canopy ride and made for lots of time to practice. Letting the pilot know is a good/required thing because he has a responsibility to inform other aviators how long skydivers are going to be in the air. Wouldn't want to have a plane come along and clip you off. I am glad that the canopy that I fly is comfortable though, cause a flight from 14k under a student training rig would have been quite uncomfortable.

It was also a day when there was not much for upper level winds. One important thing is not to get blown downwind of the DZ cause you might not get back. Your instructors can give you lots of information regarding this when you are ready for it. They will help you plan out your flight so that you land in the right spot, exit at the right place/order, and notify the correct people at your DZ.

Blue Skies! :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Also, with only 3 jumps, you may have to wait a while until either an instructor gives you the go-ahead based on your canopy skills, or until you get your A-license.

It'll give you something to look forward to. Enjoy the view but don't waste it. Hop-n-Pop's from altitude are a great way to give you time to really run your canopy through the wringer and have some fun while learning about how your canopy responds to different inputs.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Wopuldn't mind doing that myself one day. I love flying the canopy:D Would stay up all day if possible! :)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Done it, and loved it every time :)

First ask your pilot (if there is heavy traffic in the area that day... think about it)

Second, let the loader (if you have one) know... if they are sitting on the ground counting opening canopys and you are above some random cloud... wouldn't you hate to have half the DZ out looking for you (as a potential off lander) when you are still at 10 K?

Third... if there is ANYBODY expecting to leave after you on the flight... make DAMN SURE they know you are opening high. The very thought of seeing an unexpected open canopy at 12K is cause for some serious "O SHIT"

And as a catch all... let manifest know (it's not an official thing, but when people are "missing in action" manifest is usuall either in-the-know, or the first to hear about "the missing dude").

You will probably notice the canopy opens quite a bit faster at 12k than at 3.5k. My canopy used to tend to stall in the standard brake settings at 13.5-14k (spectra lines/vectran brakelines) when it was new, whereas it would not at 3k. Density altitude (and lower temperatures for longer periods) aside, hopnpops from altitude are some of the most fun I've ever had skydiving.

Probably the most exhilarating full-altitude hopnpop I've ever done was a no-moon night jump. Sparlky lights above and below against a nearly black background and a sweet-ass thunderstorm slowly sliding by about 20 miles south on the horizon. Being able to see all the planes up there with me in that great big sky made me feel very small and very alone, but it was a very freaking cool way to spend an evening.:D

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

HAHAHA Marks lol This would be awsome. Like psuCory said being up there with the planes all around, as long as they know you are up there, would be one of the kewlest things ever. At night expecialy. Seeing the lights and all that would truely make you feel like you are flying. Once im ready this is a must do!!!
Why live your life only to get to death safely? SKYDIVE!

almost 250 jumps and I still suffer from gear fear every now and then. I get paranoid my leg straps are gonna give away and I am gonna plummet to the ground...my god, I couldnt imagine being under canopy at 14K or so...bet it would be cool as long as it was one of those "no gear fear" days...

It is a lot of fun. It is getting kinda cold to be up there, that high for extended period of time, but in the summer/early fall it is a blast.

On the last load of the day, bring yourself a nice cold beer (cans only), keep it on ice in a accessible fanny pack. Hop N' Pop -- Pop the Top! enjoy your leisurely float to earth.

***Remember it is illegal to drink a beer and then jump out of a plane. It is not illegal to jump out of a plane and then drink a beer.B|

On another note, I noticed that quite often I feel some apprehension while hanging up there for so long. Spending 20 minutes under canopy gives you time to realize that your hanging suspended in the air by shoe laces!

Enjoy the ride!
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

> almost 250 jumps and I still suffer from gear fear every now and then. I get paranoid my leg straps are gonna give away

I get this too (note I have less than 40 jumps), specifically about the legstraps. I have wondered if it's just me. Anyway, when I get worried about it, I just rationalize that there's nothing I can do about it. So just enjoy the ride and fly smart, and let go the fact that if the B-12s (~2500 lb happy each side) or the webbing (~4000 lb happy each side) let go, you're toast. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Tonight I need to get off of my rear end and capture some of my recent jumps from my camcorder to my computer. And one of those jumps was a cross-country flight I did last Saturday night out in Sebastian FL where they let us out over the ocean (about 6-8 miles from the DZ), we pulled high and flew back to the DZ (dog fighting with other canopies when possible along the way). I'll try and post some stills from the video footage as the sunset and scenery around Sebastian were beautiful.

Also, flying your canopy up high gives you a great opportunity on learning how you canopy will react to different control inputs.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

And one of those jumps was a cross-country flight I did last Saturday night out in Sebastian FL where they let us out over the ocean (about 6-8 miles from the DZ), we pulled high and flew back to the DZ (dog fighting with other canopies when possible along the way).

Ooh, that sounds fun! Could you see anything in the water (fish, reefs) from that view?

Tonight I need to get off of my rear end and capture some of my recent jumps from my camcorder to my computer. And one of those jumps was a cross-country flight I did last Saturday night out in Sebastian FL where they let us out over the ocean (about 6-8 miles from the DZ), we pulled high and flew back to the DZ (dog fighting with other canopies when possible along the way). I'll try and post some stills from the video footage as the sunset and scenery around Sebastian were beautiful.

Also, flying your canopy up high gives you a great opportunity on learning how you canopy will react to different control inputs.

That does sound awsome. I bet you could see how the waves where coming into the shore. I wonder if it would look anything like on the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks where he is up on that mountain top looking at the ocean and you can see how there are only white cap waves closer to shore. Either way that would be awsome.
Why live your life only to get to death safely? SKYDIVE!

almost 250 jumps and I still suffer from gear fear every now and then. I get paranoid my leg straps are gonna give away and I am gonna plummet to the ground...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has this fear. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

almost 250 jumps and I still suffer from gear fear every now and then. I get paranoid my leg straps are gonna give away and I am gonna plummet to the ground...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has this fear. ;)

this used to be huge with me..

over time and with experiance it will compleatly go away..

no worries...

I am the same way with the legstraps. It would be nice if the chest strap went all the way around your body. That way (and i know it is not likely to happen) if the leg straps do give away your arm pits will catch the chest strap and give you something to hold on although it will be painful and hard to land if possible, but it is better than bouncing. I think for me it would give a big psychological boost.

would there be a problem with opening your chute at 12000 feet?

It's called a CReW pass, and there is not problem as long as you let the manifest and pilot know what you intend. The only problem you might notice is a slight tingle in your legs from lack of circulation, and it is a bit chilly up there. ENJOY!
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com