skygrl70

barrel rolls..need help

I'm doing my second A license Monkey Claw jump tomorrow and I am having a total memory lapse..I haven't practiced my body postion since my instructor showed me on Moday..and now I can't remember what I'm doing with my arms!! Arm extened, palm down right?? It's what I'm doing with the other arm...bringing into my body or leaving it??:S I screwd it up on Monday and I really wanna bang it out tomorrow. Can anyone help?? Thanks!:)

You know, nobody really told me how to do a barrell roll, except "You just do it". I just bring my arms in and throw my shoulder down, and it whips right around on heading. I'm probably gonna get cussed at for saying that, though. :$ Oh, well. :P

Blue Skies,
Kelly

from arch position, bring one arm in like you're saying the pledge of alliegance (sp?), you'll flip over because of the wind only hitting you body more on one side than the other, (not balanced where wind is concerned.) Once you go back into arch, you'll stop rolling over. If you are facing the sky rather than the earth, then do it to flip you back over, then arch.

Barrel rolls are fun while you're tracking. Start tracking, then bring one arm in as if you touch your opposite leg with your hand without bending your body.

Good luck:)
Angela.

[QUOTE]without bending your body[/QUOTE]

in my experience from a full track the only way to barrell roll is to bend your body. Any other way and you lose too much horizontal distance while doing the manuever.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Since my bedframe crumbled under the ardor of one of my former girlfriends, I've had a king-size mattress on the floor and I found this good for practicing barrel rolls. I arch on the mattress, then just rotate my arm at the shoulder so it swings right in front of my face - no other change to arm or body necessary. As I do this, I roll over onto that shoulder and keep rolling over. Then I just finish rolling all the way over and back to a belly-down arch; rolling over naturally brings in my other arm and then they pop back out at a natural time and in the air it feels just about like that, only no mattress.

The second component that was key to my barrel rolls was not finishing as a big "X", but finishing in an arch. I was finishing in a big flat "X" and bobbling up and down and this would blow my heading at the last instant of my barrel roll. Finishing with an arch made it like buttah and passed my solo checkout dive. B|

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

You might try this:

Stick your hands out in front of you like you are gripping a steering wheel. At once, turn the steering wheel real hard to one direction, and use your waist for torque. Should flip you right over.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

I found that closing my eyes when doing it helped a lot ;).

Of course, i do the same thing if I'm driving a car and a little cute kid runs in fron of it. By not seeing the actual impact I can then pretend that the blood came from a really big mosquito.

Seriously though, I get a wee bit of forward speed going by stretching my legs, tuck in one arm and dip the shoulder. Works for me.

It's really fun too - blue green blue green blue green :)

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I've gotten so used to flying on my belly, that I have problems with doing barrel rolls in track.

I think its a reflex, that makes me arch once I see blue :o. While in a track that puts me very fast very head-down:$

I need to learn myself some freeflying ;)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Put your left foot into your right ear and stand up on it. Then, grab your leg strap with your teeth, throw your right shin behind your pack and over your head - put your pinky (the left one mind you) out into the airstream.

and RELAX

oh, and always watch the horizon.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Set up in a box

To initiate, bring you legs close together and extend them. Bring one arm in across you chest, roll the shoulder under and leave the opposite arm extended to your side.

To follow through,hold initiating move untill you are "back-to-earth", then reverse the arm position to continue rotation.

To counter, return to the box position as you return to a "belly-to-earth" position.

Took that outa the CSPA PIM's....works great

You might try this:

Stick your hands out in front of you like you are gripping a steering wheel. At once, turn the steering wheel real hard to one direction, and use your waist for torque. Should flip you right over.

-Kramer

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yup!
er, .. Bien sur!
That sounds like a French Roll.

In an airplane a barrel roll is a very specific maneuver, different from an axial roll or a point roll or a snap roll. A plane doing a barrel roll traces a path that looks like it's flying a helical path around the surface of an enormous invisible barrel in the sky.

The rolls skydivers call "barrel rolls" are really much more like axial rolls. There's nothing much barrel-like about them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.