Kramer

What Jump Did The Nerves Go Away

Hasn't gone away yet. I hope it never does. But dread and fear have been replaced by excitement and anticipation. My hearts still pounding on jump run but in a totally positive way. I love the adrenaline rush.

It took me about 13 jumps before I was comfortable in the plane, and climbing out and everything else associated with jumping.

I have noticed that lately I have started to become more appehensive than I have been, maybe I'm getting my second wind...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Sheer terror (where I felt my blood was running cold up and down my legs) was replaced by healthy fear around jumps 4-5.

That level of fear decreased noticeably again to where I could really start to enjoy the ride to altitude and smile and joke along the way when I got my own (albeit used) equipment at jump 44.

This is a great story from someone who is a great skydiver (and super guy) who did not start out as a natural skydiver.
AMDG

I still have a little bit of nerves on each jump. That's good, it gives me an edge to stay safe and keep on top of my emergancy proceedures.

I'm not saying that I'm tense or scared or anything, though, I just have enough nerves to keep me safe.

The scared of jumping thing was gone somewhere in the 30's for me.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It may never go away.

Nervy jumps that spring to mind...

My 1st CReW dive
Any demo
My AFF evals -
About half the 1200 AFF's since then
Every Tandem
Round 1 at the World meet
Every base I did
1st Birdman
Most bigways (The axe... the ego..)
etc

That nervousness is wanting to do your best.
Nothing wrong with that.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I would vote but Zero is not an option.

I am never nervous. I just think of all the things that can go wrong and how to handle them.

I went to Bridge Day this past weekend and getting out on the ramp did not even phase me. I looked down, looked at the boom camera dude, Pointed, and jumped. Piece of Cake!

I have learned to accept "DEATH" and know that it will come on its day no matter what I do in life.

I do however know when something strange is going to happen. I have had some interesting accidents/incidents.

THE ORIGINAL KRAMER!!!!!!

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

For me, I dont know that it has ever really completely went away. I have become very comfortable in the skydiving environment. I probably started to get to that comfort zone around 20-25 jumps. The more you are around the more you become a part of the whole scene. It starts on the ground with the people, the equipment, the facilities they operate out of, etc.... It all plays a big part in having fun and having a good dive. I still get a little nervous at times depending on what I am doing. Maybe it is a new dive, a different jumper, some thing I need for a rating.

It only gets better, Todd

By the way when are you coming back out to see us at ISA?

You got a lot of answers! Personally I would like to comment:

* On my first 10 rides to altitude I kept thinking: What the hell am I doing here? Didn't happen from the 11th on
* I am approaching my 300th jump and I can say that I always feel a certain level of aprehension, particularly in the first load of the day that smoothes out but never 100% with the following loads. I don't complain, I think it's healthy. I am not going for a walk, I am going to jump from an airplane!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

I'm curious, on what jump did you really notice that you weren't nearly as nervous as you once had been before, or did your nerves just sorta tapper off over the course of time?

I'd say it comes and goes as a function of currency, comfort level and other factors.

The first jump where I was absolutely without fear was jumping into Italy with a rucksack, machine gun and damned near no sleep. I was so uncomfortable in that aircraft that I couldn't wait to get out of the door and have the parachute carry all that junk. That was static line, maybe jump 15.

There are jumps where everything feels just right and the stress level feels like zip. There are others where so much is going on it's hard not to hyperventilate.

When it comes right down to it, you trust your equipment and training and go for it anyway. It's still fun.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Nerves come and go, at my jump 65, i was sure never again to enter any plane ... fears... 4 weeks later, at jump70 (1st that day) , i cancelled my manifested early morning jump, at noon manifested again..had a small lunch and.. jumped. since this time, all went pretty good, was nearly (!) never scared again but, still deep inside a small voice is disturbing me "why, the hell??" it mostly depends on your present condition, circumstances. let the nerves come, talk and listen carefully to yourself. You surely will go on, and one day simply enjoy what you do in the air, look forward to that, it will come!! best wishes to you, christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

More than a 1000 jumps and the nerves still have not gone away. I just don't worry as much about being nervous these days. A thought that often pops into my head during the climb to altitude is "you gonna kill yerself doing this one day".

fear never goes away. It will be slowly replaced by

Gear fear
Big way fear
Night jump fear
Helicopter jump fear
Balloon jump fear
I haven't jumped in 60 days fear
;)
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Kramer, the only time I really had a case of nerves was my first jump after breaking my leg, jump#291. I was dang nervous about re-injuring my leg and being out of work and out the skies... Again!
But the skies called and I answered:)
I feel I can honestly say that I'd never before or since had "nerves" about jumping.
It was something I had always wanted to do since I was a little kid watching the U.S. Navy Leapfrogs at the Miramar NAS airshows. My first thru present jumps have been filled with the excitement of a fullfilled a dream, performance anxiety, awe at the spectacular scenery spread before me and the caution and vigilance of a safety minded skydiver.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I used to get nervous while driving to the DZ but was always quite calm by the time my load was on a call. I think fear and nervousness is all caused from your perspective or point of view. I seem to put myself at a calm state before jumping like it is a totaly natural thing to do. In some ways it almost feels surreal. I will say that when I first started packing my own main that I was a little nervous. I even pulled a bit higher than normal for those first few packs. Now I prefer to pack my own main and my feel slight nervousness if I did not. Strange how that situation would flip.

Gotta agree with this one.

I had about 100 skydives when I went to my instructor and told him that I was still nervous while in the airplane, and right before I jumped. He told me that the day I stop being nervous is the day I should stop skydiving.
The nervous feelings I experience now isn't something that gets me all freaked out, it's some thing that keeps me aware of what's going on. I have over 3000 skydives and I ask myself each and every time before I leave the plane, what the hell am I doing. Once I'm out the door and in freefall, I'm fine. I feel the nerves creeping back in right as I'm deploying the canopy, ready to deal with a malfunction if needed. When I'm doing bigger way formations, I'm nervous under canopy, watching others and making sure they see me. It's only after I've landed and walked in that I'm not nervous any more.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Gotta agree with this one.

I had about 100 skydives when I went to my instructor and told him that I was still nervous while in the airplane, and right before I jumped. He told me that the day I stop being nervous is the day I should stop skydiving.
The nervous feelings I experience now isn't something that gets me all freaked out, it's some thing that keeps me aware of what's going on. I have over 3000 skydives and I ask myself each and every time before I leave the plane, what the hell am I doing. Once I'm out the door and in freefall, I'm fine. I feel the nerves creeping back in right as I'm deploying the canopy, ready to deal with a malfunction if needed. When I'm doing bigger way formations, I'm nervous under canopy, watching others and making sure they see me. It's only after I've landed and walked in that I'm not nervous any more.

I could have written this myself! :)
;)

Yves.

I could have written this myself! It's just the way I feel, when I jump.

Super, then we need to get together and do some skydives.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey