jumpinfarmer

jumping from a powered parachute

I'm wondering if it is possible to jump from a powered parachute?
I would like to know if it is even legal ?
I have a friend who won't jump because he's to cheap, but for several years has talked about buying a powered parachute to check his corps. Now that I've started skydiving I've became interested in the powered parachute idea, before I just ignored it. If it is possible to jump from one I could get him to give me a lift and land on my own farm. I think I'm just dreaming but would like to know if it's possible.

assuming the logistics work out, all the same federal regulations apply, read up on your FARs http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14cfr105_00.html

/edited to add: you are going to get swarmed with people telling you that you don't need to be doing this kind of thing at your stage in the game, and I'm going to agree with them.

Its very possible, A co-worker of mine Has a two seater (operator in front-passenger behind) and we worked out the exit logistics and had planned on doing it at a six shooter fun fly in Yakima Wa. but the event organizer put the kibosh on our plans because of his concerns about me landing in the neighbors crops........[:/] **That will teach me to try to get permission rather than just doing it.... You have cables all around you and a industrial strength quisinart behind. With this arrangement of the cables and motor the easiest way is to step over the pilot and then fall off, with a side by side riding position the exit would be even easier...... if your talking about just hitching a ride on a single seat good luck--- the parachute and motor are smaller than the two seater models and unless you are both really skinny you probably wont get off the ground.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

As Champu said in his first post wait a while. But when you do have the experience go for it. If youre farm has a large landing area and you have enough altitude this sort of jump would be a lot of fun. You could invite friends and family over for a BBQ and show 'em how to really arrive. Just be really careful to plan and go with the plan in a safe way. Talk to your local PRO rated jumpers. They'll have loads of info for you.

nic

Might be an interesting jump, but I have allot of reservations about a powered parachute. Seems kind of contradictory to me.. parachutes are made to jump in, planes are made to fly in. Kind of like ultralights, I really question if i would want to fly one, I'm happy enough flying real airplanes, just don't see the need to fly a "flying lawn chair" ;)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I flew in a paracart when I was like 14. I don't know the stats, but it seemed pretty safe. Jumping out of one would be kinda squirly I'd think. The control lines on this one passed close to the passenger seat. Then again, the pilot told me it could get up 10k max, so if it was designed properly you'd think it would be fun to hop and pop from.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

I know. I wouldn't try it for a long time, I was just interested if it could be done.
Ever since my first jump I've thought it would be cool to jump onto my own farm.

Can be done...
Has been done..
I've even done it...ONCE!

That was enough!!! [:/]

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

--->Next time remember it's easier to beg forgiveness then ask permission.

LOL........ I learned that in the military:ph34r: but didnt apply what I learned in this instance...... didnt want to get my buddy kicked out of the club, as there wasnt much they could have done to me other than told me to leave.....

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.