softnotes

Non-affiliation

I have seen mention of dropzones not affiliated to the governing bodies such as the USPA (United States) and BPA. I was under the impression that all DZs had to be operated under the auspices of these bodies in their respective countries.

Does this mean these dropzones are illegal, or is membership of such bodies not a legal requirement?
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"

I have seen mention of dropzones not affiliated to the governing bodies such as the USPA (United States) and BPA. I was under the impression that all DZs had to be operated under the auspices of these bodies in their respective countries.

Does this mean these dropzones are illegal, or is membership of such bodies not a legal requirement?

In britian all dropzones have to be affiliated with the bpa and have the pla cleared by an examiner, although jersey is affialed with the uspa, not sure how but im sure mr griffiths can enlighten us.

In britian all dropzones have to be affiliated with the bpa.

Is that true? It didn't used to be, we had a few non bpa dz, Bill & Teds rings a bell. I think the deal was that they had to run under an operating procedure that was acceptable to the CAA. The BPA's procedure was acceptable but I don't think that was the only one. I think that a DZ could choose, for example, the USPA or australian regs if it wished to or come up with its own.

It may have changed as I think the CAA handed over it's regulation to the BPA.

The FAA is the "governing body" in the USA, that we as skydivers and dropzones have to answer to. Being a Dropzone Group Member of USPA is a "choice" of the DZ. It doesn't make it an illegal DZ if it's NOT a member, nor does it make the DZ anymore "dangerous" just because it's not a USPA Group Member. Feel free to jump at any dropzone that "you" feel is a good DZ and a safe DZ. Be aware of the people you jump with at ANY dropzone, and dont assume that just because it's a USPA DZ that it's jumpers and planes in are always the safest.
Here is some thing you can look at to find out more about the USPA Group Membership Program.
http://www.uspa.org/membership/group.htm#gmprogram

Ed:)

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com