-Joey-

What canopy should I buy?

My written argument:
That out landing in a built up area, or that close call canopy collision near the ground, and that dusty you had to avoid at 100Ft. Will you survive a quick turn with a mamba?

In this sport, when things go wrong, they go terribly wrong, and terribly quick.

Listen to your penis, and do a couple of great jumps, or listen to your brain, and do 1000's of great jumps.

Also on the sexy part....you won't be so sexy when you wheel your chair to the DZ.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Let me stand on the "other side" for a bit.

It's not the size, it is how you use it :)
I am almost sure I can land a Velo-79. No turns, no risers, straight-in, flare, plf. No problem. The same way I can get the stiffest GS skis and pizza my way down any black slope, or get the most powerful bike and fire it 180mph on a highway, no skill there. One guy was telling how he went from average commuter to an autocross instructor in just a year, while others are still going through the basics. And how one big reason was that they first bought their porches, M3-s and what not, and then started racing, while he learned on average sedans, where you have more time for everything and actually have enough reaction to train the right things, vs fighting with situation.
As I told you in person, I am too holding myself not to downsize too quickly. Speed is exciting at first, but you get used to everything, and it's not the fast straights or 90s we're looking for, right? It is those million-degree turns with cutting a line through water and landing right in the peas that glitter somewhere in the future!
Downsizing actually pushes you back in skill improvement, increasing fun as a trade-off. Fine line here too: downsizing too fast reduces fun, since taking too much control away, hence forcing to conservative landings. And after some training, not only I realized that I can actually theoretically do the above on my current canopy (well, maybe on XF2-114 ;) ), but it is the fastest way to get there.

landing right in the peeves

:D

I hope you meant "peas" as in pea gravel. That is an unusual mistake to make on the keyboard, so I do wonder. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

-Joey-

***Safire2. Performance closer to the XF2 (especially flare) but more forgiving.

That's actually what I ended up getting...

...for now.

I wouldn't recommend the Safire2 if you're hell bent on swooping, get a Sabre2 instead, but don't be stupid..

Safire2's (as well as Pilot's) have real short recovery arcs and unless you load it like a bitch you will be doing your turns low sooner or later, which means you barely have any margin for error..

One of the reasons I pounded in that day (besides my lack of skills / perception / experience) was that on other jumps doing a 270 I would lose speed very quickly, recover very quickly and pop up a bit and still have enough altitude left, what they call a panoramic swoop, but with a very shitty low speed.. Because of the quick recovery arc, for the swoop to look like a swoop and not "panoramic" I would do my 270 from around 400 feet. So I thought I'd keep my 270 turn the same, altitude the same, but slow the rotation down, well it didn't work out the way I wanted it to..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEC-wkrWEUk

It's still swoopable, I had some decent swoops with it, but overall the design doesn't allow much room for error, due to the short recovery arc and forcing you do to your turn lower because of that to achieve the swoop you want to achieve.. PD actually got it right with their long recovery arcs, if you smack with that momentum generated from that long dive you will most likely die, but also you have a lot more time to save yourself due to the longer dive forcing you to initiate your turn much higher, thus diving for longer and having the time / altitude to asses if you can continue or need to bail / adjust..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_3xzfU4YU

sundevil777

landing right in the peeves

:D

I hope you meant "peas" as in pea gravel. That is an unusual mistake to make on the keyboard, so I do wonder. :D

There are a bunch of people around here who landed right on my peeves a long time ago.:ph34r::ph34r: