-Joey-

What canopy should I buy?

is there some kind of secret forum here or something? How did dave know I inquired about an XF2 114 being sold by someone who jumps at a different DZ from either of the two of us? And how did that dude know I definitely shouldn't be on one? It's a little bit creepy to be honest...

No secrets, you posted your own Cayenne 150 for sale in the non-secret classifieds, and then you posted a TON of shit in the forums that more-or-less exposed you as either a low-time jumper, or just one with an immature, piss-poor attitude, both of which would lead a responsible seller to shoot you down when you're looking at a canopy that's 2 or 3 sizes smaller than your current main AND much higher performance from a design perspective.

How did I know? For starters, I know people and I hear things, like when newbies try to buy gear they have no business buying.

Beyond that, when you shoot your mouth off the way you do, expect to draw some attention. FYI, I received PMs from people I don't even know about some of the shit you posted because it was so fucking stupid. People are so impressed (un-impressed) with your crap, that they feel the need to send a PM along the lines of, 'How dumb is that Joey kid', or 'How many more of those Ted, Sanji, Joey kids are we going to have to deal with'.

So don't be surprised when you do something stupid like try to buy an X-fire 114, and that too gets around. The USPA just hit 35000 members, but that's really just 35000 membership numbers, so a good number of those people are dead (most from natural causes) or out of the sport, so there really aren't that many jumpers out there. This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum, where there are literally millions of x-box players or Chevy truck drivers out there, and even then there's no requirement for those people to come to together in real life. Skydiving is a much smaller community, and we all have to go to the same DZs in order to jump, so real life is going to coincide with this internet life, and you're bullshit is not going to go un-noticed.

davelepka

is there some kind of secret forum here or something? How did dave know I inquired about an XF2 114 being sold by someone who jumps at a different DZ from either of the two of us? And how did that dude know I definitely shouldn't be on one? It's a little bit creepy to be honest...

No secrets, you posted your own Cayenne 150 for sale in the non-secret classifieds,

Then they aren't very classified, are they?

jzzsxm

No secrets, you posted your own Cayenne 150 for sale in the non-secret classifieds,

Then they aren't very classified, are they?

PRISM strikes again.
Remster

I believe the "Ted" comment was a reference to a jumper who came to an unfortunate ending. -Joey- is a different "special" person.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

-Joey-

***Pilot, XF2 or Mamba?

They are all pussy choices.

You need a Katana or a Velo if your penis wants to feel loved.

XF2 > Katana

True- if the measure is what is the what's better for a beginner. ;)

[If you're stupid enough to try to learn from this thread I should point out that the above is sarcasm]
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I used to have a really good friend just like you. His name was Shane Richertz. He's been dead for years. His canopy progression ended with a Sabre 135^2, he died one day when his canopy hit the ground before he did. He knew how to read as well. PS: His wing load was 1:4:1
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

And he probably initiated a 270 from something like 200 feet. You say he's "just like me," but I guarantee you I'm not dumb enough to initiate a front riser turn so low that my canopy hits first. I know good and well that low hook turns kill; I've read plenty of fatality reports. In fact, I think I have read every single one in the database here.

Why does everyone assume that just because someone doesn't have a certain number of jumps that they are automatically ignorant of things like maneuver altitudes? I may not have the jumps (which are just a number) but I know how to read and do research.

Your next reply will likely be: "No amount of book learning can replace time in the air..."

Which I agree with to some extent and is why I plan to practice maneuvers up high and get a feel for the canopy's flight characteristics first, then develop a feel for sight picture by starting with straight in's on double fronts, then progressing to 90's, then 180's etc etc.

Then once I downsize to a Crossfire I start over from the beginning and do all of the above again. Then when I go to the velo, same thing.
Skydiving is serious business

I can understand why you want to do the cool swooping stuff. I don't understand why you need the attention you get here. It almost sounds like a cry for help because you know the risk, or you just love all the reaction you get. Either way you need the kind of help that you won't find here.

But we keep biting and snarling at you, so I guess you'll just keep on putting that stick through the bars. I really hope your bravado is just a game and not for real. Real hurts. A lot.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Then once I downsize to a Crossfire I start over from the beginning and do all of the above again. Then when I go to the velo, same thing

You wont make it to the velo if you continue to be so arrogant. Sad to say. Regardless, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Best-
Richard

Feel sorry for the guys that have to clean you up and the jumpers and whuffos that see you plow the DZ. EVERYONE knows low hook turns kill, EVERYONE 'knows' to avoid them... So why do they keep happening? Are you really that egotistical to think your just smarter then the rest? You can flick through any incident report and say that's dumb I would never do that from your armchair - but in reality it's the aragont 'that will never happen to me' folk that find them selfs in these positions.

Honestly I don't care what you do...If your risk vs reward assesment says go for it then go for it - But before you do just think about the people around you for a second. Put your own ego aside and think about all the other people that would be effected by your poor judgment.

I remember a few years ago I was a true believer that I would never be involved in a car accident. Every accident you hear about you just think how can people manage to do that - its so avoidable. Accidents don't give a fuck what you believe in tho, and I got a quick lesson in an 80km/h crash.

rwieder

I used to have a really good friend just like you. His name was Shane Richertz. He's been dead for years. His canopy progression ended with a Sabre 135^2, he died one day when his canopy hit the ground before he did. He knew how to read as well. PS: His wing load was 1:4:1

Mine was Iain Firkins. His was 'only' a Sabre 2 150 at maybe 1.6ish. He wasn't even hot-dogging, he just fucked up jump 800-and-something. He too knew not to front riser turn into the ground, he just fucked up one day. We still keep his death-day and have a piss-up each year for him. I filmed his father doing a tandem for his ash dive. His family played Mr. Blue Skies at his funeral.

At your experience level, most don't die from a 270 at 200'.
Most die from a quickly pulled toggle to avoid something/correct something unexpected. Not saying that it can't/won't be something intentional that gets YOU.
Seen it often enough that I no longer pretend to give a shit when someone ignorant transitions to stupid.
-Joey-

And he probably initiated a 270 from something like 200 feet. You say he's "just like me," but I guarantee you I'm not dumb enough to initiate a front riser turn so low that my canopy hits first. I know good and well that low hook turns kill; I've read plenty of fatality reports. In fact, I think I have read every single one in the database here.

Why does everyone assume that just because someone doesn't have a certain number of jumps that they are automatically ignorant of things like maneuver altitudes? I may not have the jumps (which are just a number) but I know how to read and do research.

Your next reply will likely be: "No amount of book learning can replace time in the air..."

Which I agree with to some extent and is why I plan to practice maneuvers up high and get a feel for the canopy's flight characteristics first, then develop a feel for sight picture by starting with straight in's on double fronts, then progressing to 90's, then 180's etc etc.

Then once I downsize to a Crossfire I start over from the beginning and do all of the above again. Then when I go to the velo, same thing.

This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

And he probably initiated a 270 from something like 200 feet. You say he's "just like me," but I guarantee you I'm not dumb enough to initiate a front riser turn so low that my canopy hits first. I know good and well that low hook turns kill; I've read plenty of fatality reports. In fact, I think I have read every single one in the database here

And if you were able to ask every single skydiver that has died skydiving.... Each and every one of them would say what you just said, 'I am not stupid, I study this and know the limits'....

Yet they are all still dead. So..... Yeah.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334