RebeccaJean

Hmm

Hello everyone!
This coming January I plan to take my first attempt at skydiving. I anticipate a safe and yet thrilling experience but I was just curious about what the statistics of deaths involving tandem jumps. Well at least what the statistics are with the new equipment. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on great places to skydive in Florida??
thanks so much :)-Rebecca

Hello everyone!
This coming January I plan to take my first attempt at skydiving. I anticipate a safe and yet thrilling experience but I was just curious about what the statistics of deaths involving tandem jumps. Well at least what the statistics are with the new equipment. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on great places to skydive in Florida??
thanks so much :)-Rebecca

Statistics are somewhat tough to quantify and qualify, but I've tried to do that in a book called JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy, published by McGraw-Hill earlier this year.

The short answer is that skydiving, tandem or otherwise, is risky and you could be killed or injured. With that said, the actual numbers aren't all that terrible. When tandem skydiving was approved by the FAA they listed statistics gathered between 1991-1996 that showed one tandem fatality for every 83,838 jumps, about the same as regular skydiving at the time. Since then tandem jumping has become much safer, with as many as 540,000 domestic tandems made between reported fatalities . In fact, data from the United States Parachute Association (USPA) suggests that 66 percent of all student jumps are tandem, but fatalities in the tandem program have become extremely unusual.

Another way to look at it is to use USPA data suggesting that about 300,000 people make at least one skydive in the USA each year, and there are roughly 34,000 USPA members. Thus, most people who make jumps are not members and are probably students, and most students make only one or two tandems. So, the bulk of the skydivers are actually tandem students, but fatal accidents remain rare.

There are plenty of dropzones in Florida, and most are pretty good. You can find a list with the link in an earlier post, or visit http://uspa.org/about/index.htm. This is a page produced by USPA to help answer beginner questions and it has a link to a listing of all USPA affiliated centers.

You might also think about picking up my book, JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy. It is directed at folks like you who have questions about the sport and wonder how to select or evaluate a student training program. JUMP! includes a list of key questions you can use when calling drop zones for information, and it will help you to sort out all their answers and filter the hype.

JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy is available at many book stores, and also at places like Amazon.com. In fact, I think Amazon has it for 30 percent off the 14.95 cover price.

Hey, have fun on your skydive in January!

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy is available at many book stores, and also at places like Amazon.com. In fact, I think Amazon has it for 30 percent off the 14.95 cover price.

Naughty, naughty, you should know better than to advertise:o
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Naughty, naughty, you should know better than to advertise:o

;)It's not really advertising. The original poster had a question and I offered an answer, then directed her to more information. She's in the dark and I provided a light!

One of the toughest things about trying to figure our sport out is just finding sources of information. I actually wrote the book (umm, what's it called...umm, umm, gosh, it's on the tip of my tongue, umm, umm, gee I forget) after speaking with students around the DZ and reading tons of posts from beginners begging for information.

Hey, when you hear a question. provide an answer, then offer additional sources of information. My book is a good one for the never-ever crowd and those who have made a tandem or two. Parachuting: The Skydivers Handbook is a good book for jumpers with a bit more experience, and the USPA SIM is ideal for students and just about any other jumper. Likewise, there are tons of web sites that offer answers to the questions we know beginners are begging to ask.

So, become an electrician and turn the light on! Share knowledge and offer those sources. Oh, and hey, I just remembered the name of my book.....oh wait, I forgot again.

Tom Buchanan
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Naughty, naughty, you should know better than to advertise

maybe some subtle advertising yes...but the author of a book actually found the time to personaly pen a lengthly reply to an unknown...kudos to him.

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

I thought it was an excellent reply to a newbie question, and the book is a great resource for people thinking about skydiving.