ifics

My trip to Skydive Aggieland!! sorta long..

I had a pretty nice day, it started out at Sky dive Houston but there was a shortage of instructors there (2 AFF's in class) so they decided to take the Otter over to Skydive Aggieland to get an extra instructor. Myself and 3 other fun jumpers tagged along for the ride. I was really nervous because it was my first pack and jump (oops, did I say first? Damnit I mean 2nd:P) It was an awesome place, as soon as we got off the plane and walked over to the hanger we were greeted with a smile and handshakes (I kinda know Clint who was there so that was nice) We went up for the first of two loads the Otter was going to do. During my Freefall I was a bit nervous because of the pack, it was in the back of my mind the whole jump. Only bad part was my landing [:/] New place and it was wide open (you would think I would of done it right because of that too, but no :S) I started my approach way to far back and by the time I was on my base it was to late. The winds were about 12mph and I was directly down wind! I surfed it a bit then went to the right and rolled (for some reason I let one toggle up just a bit so it took me to the right, I was already on the ground and slowing down so it was not bad). It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was to say the least, embarrassed:$ My first trip to a great DZ and I FUBAR the landing, ugh... When I got back to my DZ someone told me I should of flat turned, looking back I guess I had the time but during the situation at hand I felt I didn't. I did what I thought was right and walked away so I guess its ok, I did learn from it and it wont happen like that again. So besides my embarrassment and dirty rig/shirt I had a hellofa great time (and we were only there for 1 hour!) I would like to make it back out there and I plan to. I did get to meet "Aggie Dave" and he is a very nice guy (first to offer me a beer;)). Also saw Clint again which was cool, I met a bunch more people but I forgot their names :S all of them were super friendly. I hope to have more time next run which = more beer drinking ;) Thx Aggieland!!

Glad you enjoyed yourself at our DZ. I watched your downwinder when I was picking up my canopy. (I was the guy with the maroon Vector 2 and I jumped with Clint on that jump.) I saw you landing with all that speed and thought "uh oh", this might be interesting;). But you landed and walked away, so no worries. Come on back up to our DZ sometime, you'll certainly have a blast!!!!

Hey, it was great having everyone up here, even if it was very quick. Everyone will have to come jump our new Beech 99, too.

Well, if you're used to jumping the Waller landing area, having more options available (as it is with our landing area), it can really screw you up. I'm just glad you walked away from it without more then a good laugh and a good learning experience.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That was a fun day. I am glad I was out there to get the bonus of jumping the Otter when only expecting the Cessna. Anyway, atleast you did your downwinder at a cool DZ like Aggieland. I did my first downwinder at Quincy in 2000 and the people who saw it were not as nice. Well, good thing it came out ok and all you had to worry about was a little mud on the rig. Hope to see you out at Aggieland again. The Beech 99 was flying all day today.

Clint D-24352

PS- Make sure you get your rig clean. That thing is really nice. I am jealous.