bluegremlin

First FreeFall

This weekend is my first freefall (As long as the weather is ok and i get the dummy pull right)
Iv been jumping for a year now and because of money have only just got to this stage, I cant wait, im also getting very nervouse, Knowing that iv always had the static line to do the work and now its in my hands. Anyone got any tips or anything they want to let me know before i jump?
Im also scared im going to mess up the dummy pull, This would kill me from the inside knowing that im going to have to wait even longer for the ultimate experience.

Fool! 1 beer coming up for me!

Thing I did to relax me on first freefall was to try to get the instructor I was most comfortable and/or had been dispatched most recently by, and ask him to dispatch me on the freefall. Then, I just tried to visualise him holding up the static line, and treat it as any other DP jump.

That's the theory anyway...log book quote:

"Good climbout and release, rolled onto right side on pull. Good recovery, well done." As I remember it, it went more like this...

"Good climbout, albeit with smell of shit emanating from student. Stupid look of delusion on face - why was he looking at me as if I had a static line? Wobbled off step, followed by ill-advised attempt at freeflying. Managed not to entangle himself on deployment. Must remember to congratulate him on choice of swear words, and volume acheived."

But I guess that's why they're instructors - they see it how it really is!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

I say this to all my students on the first freefall.

"You have shown that you have the skills to be there, otherwise I wouldn't let you go. Relax, practice loads beforehand and you have plenty of time and altitude."

See you at the DZ and if you have any worries give me a shout and I'll go through them for however long you need.

Bryn

Mines a Melon Bacardi Breeezer thanks
Journey not destination.....

****! Getting sick of tandems are we? I guess giving me my freefall brief reminded you how joyous it can be to hang out with RAPS students!

See you Saturday, or Sunday if we win the Rugby (which we will)

Edited to stop the post being deleted (sorry Billvon!)

Nick

****! Getting sick of tandems are we? I guess giving me my freefall brief reminded you how joyous it can be to hang out with RAPS students!

Nick,

You know how much I love RAPS but dont have the time I should........

Back to my roots..........

:)
See ya later

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

blue-

I did my first freefall a few weeks ago from the SL program.

I'll assume you're exiting on a 182?

My advice would then be, arch before you let go, keep your eye on the plane the entire time before your chute opens, point your toes, and take your time pulling...don't hurry it and go unstable. That's what my instructors told me, and it worked out great for me.

Oh, also...it'll seem like forever from the time you pull, till the time you're in the saddle. That's normal...we're just used to those practice pulls with the risers already by our ears. ;)

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

"Good climbout, albeit with smell of shit emanating from student. Stupid look of delusion on face - why was he looking at me as if I had a static line? Wobbled off step, followed by ill-advised attempt at freeflying. Managed not to entangle himself on deployment. Must remember to congratulate him on choice of swear words, and volume acheived."

But I guess that's why they're instructors - they see it how it really is!

Geez, that got me laughing harder than anything has all week. :D I have a feeling that's how mines gonna go...............

Blue ones-

Shinda

An audience of 35 head of cattle was not exactly what I had in mind for that last landing.........

keep your eye on the plane the entire time before your chute opens,

Honest question here, back during my first freefall, (1982) we were taught to LOOK at whatever it was we were going to pull whether that be covers, ripcord, cutaway, etc. to make sure we were pulling what we thought we were supposed to be pulling on. If you were unstable and it was time to pull, pull! Has that doctrine changed now? Just curious...
Shawn

yes shawndiver

it seams that a higher percentage of students dearch when they look down or at things...

so it's all about feel

this would have helped me on my 3rd dp tho lol

i put my hand on the cutaway for a full second skydog here was cackin :)
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?

During my level 1 AFF my jumpmaster pulled for me. When it came time to pull, I waved off and had my hand on the pilot chute for like 2 seconds. For some reason I froze, but as soon as he pulled my hand the pilot chute (which was attached to my hand at that point) came out and I let it go. I survived with a HUGE smile on my face. Needless to say I havent frozen since.

--------
I am ready to meet my maker. Whether my maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
- Winston Churchill

Oh yeah, one other thing, remember that numbers go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. I was warned many times that I would "forget" number 2, and despite all my protestations that I would be cool as a cucumber, I still exited and went "one thousand, three thousand", having pulled almost instantly!

Nick

Shawndiver-

Yeah, I've read in the Parachuting Manual (Poynter) that you're supposed to look.

My instructors just told me to keep my eye on the plane, and go by feel. I took their advice and had a great jump.

I guess it's really up to the jumper, if you think you can look at the ripcord without dearching...then go right ahead I suppose.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Honest question here, back during my first freefall, (1982) we were taught to LOOK at whatever it was we were going to pull whether that be covers, ripcord, cutaway, etc. to make sure we were pulling what we thought we were supposed to be pulling on. If you were unstable and it was time to pull, pull! Has that doctrine changed now? Just curious...
Shawn

Being an AFF'er what I was taught was to feel for the pilot chute because you can't see a BOC anyway and you don’t want to dearch looking for it. Only look when going to reserve handles, which you can see and don't want to miss!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Just one tip -- Make sure you pull. ;)

seriously, just remember..arch and relax! you'll be fine. Have fun! :D
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule