andy2

getting whuffo friends to jump...

I just persoanlly think that it takes a special breed of person to skydive.

How true.

IMHO i don't think this is really true. No one is born a skydiver, everyone starts off as a whuffo. A lot of people remain very scared at the start of their jumping career, even though they say they love it, they are scared as hell, some people feel sick when they get on the plane with fear then get down and want to go straight up again, feel sick etc etc (which is totally understandable).

I openly confess to people when they ask what my first jump was like, that i screamed like a little girl for most of the way down on that first tandem because i thought i was going to die (until i got tapped on the arms by my TI and realised he hadn't had a heart attack - long story).

Some people who claim they would hate it, try it, then love it and get into it, nothing special there, other than the fact that perhaps they surprised themselves. From my small experience, one wonderful thing about skydiving is that people come from all walks of life, and all sorts of characteristic backgrounds and traits - some do it for the macho image, some do it for the freedom it brings, some like to fly around the blue playground like birds, some for the perceived kudos, some for the risk element - whatever, but everyone is an individual, i don't think skydivers are a special breed of person (apart from the perceoved view that we might be seen as special in the "special" sense of the word by people who wonder why we jump out of planes ;)). More open minded perhaps, but not special or a better person compared to people who don't skydive.

I'd say the guy who sweeps our streets at night in the pouring rain for minimum wage while we sleep, just to keep things clean for us is probably an example of a special breed of person.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I agree. There are a variety of reasons. "Extreme" image, challenge, whatever. There is not necessarily one type who skydives.

However, I think skydiving changes you after you have done it. One of the biggest natural fears is heights/falling/death. If do a solo skydive and you can face that, then you place the ultimate trust in your ability.

It is the "doors of perception". You open up a window in your brain. Something new in your mental toolkit. It changes the way you view life. Skydiving is a door.

When people find out what I do for fun, they inevitably say something like "Oh I couldn't do that, I'm afraid of heights" or "What in the world made you want to?" or the inevitable "I would never jump out of a perfectly good airplane." Usually, however, that is followed up with "What's it like?"

Stock answer: "Like nothing you've ever experienced before or will experience again." and leave it at that.

I don't try to convince them that they should do it or even try to talk them into finding out for themselves. Skydiving is something you want to do (and you have to WANT to do that first jump) or you don't, but if they show an interest, I offer to set them up with a good tandem/jump master, and to meet them at the DZ for moral support if they do decide to go. Had a couple of takers over the years, but not many.

Taking that first dive requires a huge "leap of faith" (pun intended) that most folks don't (or won't) make. To each their own.

Blues,

Bob

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

UGH!!:S>:( I'm going "back home" for Thanksgiving and a friend and my brother have been telling me for months that they'd do their first tandem while I'm home. I just called to set it up at the DZ and they both backed out on me and said they'd rather just come watch me..and when they said that they "wouldn't jump from a perfectly good plane" ..I responded that there's no such thing as a perfectly good plane and atleast I want options!:)

I hope when they get there and see how much fun we're all having that they change their mind. I suppose some don't know what they're missing!;)

Kaylne,

You never know... For my son's 18th, we went for AFF. My youngest daughter, who is terrified of heights, came to watch. The second time she came to the DZ, she told me she wanted to try it! Could have knocked me over with a feather. The next lift, I got to jump with my daughter, and personally witness the joy of her jump, and a newly found respect she found in herself.

I never asked or suggested she even try it since I knew her dread for heights. If your brother and friend see the joy in your eyes, and feel the satisfaction "oozing" from you (and likely everyone else on the DZ)... that can be the best sell job.

Good luck, and have fun.

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

Over time I've lost interest in encouraging people, or even talking about it. The experience is so predictable. I will ramble on about it with certain friends who don't jump but understand that it's my thing and sometimes I like to talk about it. But my eyes glaze over when I find myself in that same old conversation...

Whuffo: Wow, that's crazy! You're nuts!
Me: Uh huh.
W: Blah blah perfectly good airplane blah blah!
Me: (no response)
W: Is that expensive? How much does it cost?
Me: Um, yea, sure, at first I guess, like anything else... I guess it depends.
W: Blah blah blah I'm gonna totally do that some day blah blah blah...!
Me: (concentrating on bubbles rising from bottom of glass of beer) Yea, you should...(the way you might answer a 9 year old who just told you they want to be an astronaut when they grow up)

When i made my first jump, i told all my friends and they seemed like they were all interested. Now i couldnt care less, 99% talk shit, 1% try shit. thats my opinion

i keep tryin to get m8s to jump with me but all that i get is YES of course ill do that... but how much does it cost. and then i tell them, and then they run away saying ill buy my football boots instead