andy2

getting whuffo friends to jump...

whats been your experience? I'm taking a friend to jump next weekend, I'm excited, he's excited.

I try not to convince anybody to skydive, but if I tell them about something and they seem interested, I'll ask if they want to go.

Have you had good/bad/pleasant experiences getting your friends to skydive?

There's something inside me that wants my friends to see what its like, ya know?

blue skies! B|

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I had eight friends take there 1st jump course this year...two did 2 jumps...one 3....two 10+.

Over the last 4 years I've gotten 20 ppl total to take the course and jump at least once.

I wont even guess at the # of ppl that have said they were going to and chickened out:S

I started jumping in September. To date I have taken 5 people jumping with me. I took two with me when I made my first AFF, they their first AFF that same day. Then took a friend from another website. He did a tandem and is hooked. He's saving money for AFF right now. Finally, I have a friend that is and editor for an aviation magazine. I talked her into coming up to the DZ to jump and to do a story on skydiving for the magazine (It will be the feature article in their next issue). She took one of their writers along and they both made tandem jumps :):)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I just persoanlly think that it takes a special breed of person to skydive.

How true.

I've talked one friend into making an SL jump...she did, said she loved it, and has never been back since.

I'm working on a few more friends right now, trying to get them to go the tandem route. I want my best friend to try it, and I think he may..but I feel bad for him, 'cause he's never even been in a plane before..that'd be one helluva plane ride for him. Nervous about the plane-ride, and the skydive...poor kid.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Heh, I've gotten some amusing responses:

"Oh, I doubt it is worth all the hassle. I mean waiting, then riding a cramped plane for 30 minutes, landing, then having to pack. Like an hours work for 60 seconds - how can that be worth it?"

I usually respond that "it must be *really* good to be worth it given all that or people wouldn't do it, right?"

And another pal simply said "doesn't seem exciting at all. Cannot understand how anyone would do it. Seems boring". From a pal that rarely ventures outside his own apartment.

Working over the spouses of newly certified skydivers/students is much more productive :))

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I head up the Ohio University Skydivers and take kids for their first jump just about every weekend. I have a blast and so do they. When you share your excitement for skydiving and your first jump, it tends to pump your buddies up even more.

Some of the kids I take on their first jump I don't know real well but we have a 2 hr. car ride to get acquainted. I have yet to have a bad experience with any of the jumpers. Everyone loves it and has come back for more :)

I say shove em out of a plane if they are willing but never push the issue to much. It can't be for everyone [:/] but we can sure try and bring the % of whuffos in the world to a min.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I head up the Ohio University Skydivers and take kids for their first jump just about every weekend. I have a blast and so do they.

Same basic thing here at illinois@uc

We just try and spread the word about skydiving and have people with the desire to come to us. I have a list of around 560 e-mail addresses of people who signed up to get information, probably 10% have done at least one jump of some sort, and there's a bunch that are working their way up the student progression.

At the end of the day though I'm not going to tackle people and put a rig on them...

i've gotten 4 People to jump since I started.

The first 2 were the people that I jumped with on my premier time out. Of those 2, 1 of them made it to the papper pulls then stopped.

This past year I had 3 more friends come out. 1 just wanted to do it to say it's been done, and the other really loves being under canopy and is going to make an effort to jump more.

I don't think i'm going to actively convice people to come out anymore. Because it's extremly dangerous and unless they completly understand what they are getting into, I would rather just tell them about it on the ground.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

I just persoanlly think that it takes a special breed of person to skydive.

How true.

I've talked one friend into making an SL jump...she did, said she loved it, and has never been back since.

I'm working on a few more friends right now, trying to get them to go the tandem route. I want my best friend to try it, and I think he may..but I feel bad for him, 'cause he's never even been in a plane before..that'd be one helluva plane ride for him. Nervous about the plane-ride, and the skydive...poor kid.

-Kramer

*Had first plane ride and dive at same time*
Well - I will, come Nov 30th.
Yes, it does suck.
:d

been jumpin bout 8 years and so far have taken over78 people for a tandem jump a good amount of those were friends i am an absolute skydiving pusher i insist everyone does a tandem other wise i just wont talk to them never had 1 person land and say they didnt enjoy it OR wernt glad they did it...

Haha...well good luck on your jump! It'll be the most amazing thing you've ever done in your life.

(advice: Don't waste any energy worrying about the plane ride...if something goes wrong there, it's a freak accident that is out of your control...just sit back and relax, and focus on what you have to do on your jump...planes kick ass anyway).

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Had probably half a dozen friends come out - probably about 100 said yes, for sure they where coming....but not this weekend...or next weekend...no money etc. Don't believe anyone until they show up and get in the plane! One girl I didn't know so well did a tandem, now is learning to pack and almost as addicted as I am - that was the best - seeing her come down from her tandem, jumping around with the adrenalin rush! My little sister also did a tandem, and will be back for more :o (I'm a bad influence on her!) Other than those two, not much success...its definitely not for everyone. Lots are saying they'll come out in the spring when its warm....we'll see!

StearmanR985,

The magazine is "The AutoPILOT" It is a local, but expading magazine..started here in Georgia, but has now got a Florida issue as well. Very nice.. full color... very well done magazine. It is published on an every other month basis. The next issue, the one with the article, will be the Jan/Feb issue. Should be out in late December.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Personally, I'm tired of trying. I've tried and tried and tried. End result: 3 other people have jumped because of me. 1 jump each.

I've decided to take a new approach. From now on, whenever someone asks me about skydiving, I'm going to say, "I don't recommend it - you could die."