Hazarrd

"too cold" to jump??

Is it common for a DZ to not put jumpers up because it's "too cold." A friend of mine wasn't able to jump at a DZ over the weekend because of this. It was around 20 degrees on the ground. Is that really "toocold" to jump even if there are enough jumpers to fill the plane?

.-.

I jump in Ohio and it is hella cold right now. I know if it is too cold, the plane will ice upon ascent. That may be the problem and instead of explaining this they may just say it is too cold to jump. I would not want to jump if it was 20 degrees on the ground!
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

if it is too cold, the plane will ice upon ascent

For ice to form on an airplane, it usually has to fly in clouds or in visible precipitation like rain. Most skydiving aircraft are flown under rules requiring them to stay away from clouds, and I don't think I'd jump in freezing rain.

However, the colder it gets, the harder starting it is on the engine. The oil is thicker and doesn't lube the cylinders as well as when it is warm, so the piston rings rub harder on the cylinder walls, and everything wears out faster. Pre-heating the engine helps, but can take several hours.

Mark
CFII-ASMEL, CFI-G,H

if it is too cold, the plane will ice upon ascent

For ice to form on an airplane, it usually has to fly in clouds or in visible precipitation like rain. Most skydiving aircraft are flown under rules requiring them to stay away from clouds, and I don't think I'd jump in freezing rain.

However, the colder it gets, the harder starting it is on the engine. The oil is thicker and doesn't lube the cylinders as well as when it is warm, so the piston rings rub harder on the cylinder walls, and everything wears out faster. Pre-heating the engine helps, but can take several hours.

Mark
CFII-ASMEL, CFI-G,H

Not much of an issue with turbines, though.

And there are heaters for piston planes that you turn on while the plane is not in use to keep the oil warm (or at least, not frigid). I have one on my Mooney. They work best if the plane is hangared when not in use.

I think it's mostly a problem of finding enough people to make a load if it's very cold.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've taken 100's of jumpers to the North Pole on six separate parachute expeditions. The temperature at the 10,000 foot exit altitude varied between 50 and 60 degrees below zero. No frostbite...of course we left no skin exposed in freefall. In other words, it's never too cold to jump..if you want it enough.

At the DZ I jump at we never say it is to cold to jump and we don't even have a door on our plane. We've gone up to 10'500' with a temp at altitude of -55. It was cold but eh it is worth it. Swooping is snow is awesome and canopies just seem to fly nicer with the thick cold air.

I've taken 100's of jumpers to the North Pole on six separate parachute expeditions. The temperature at the 10,000 foot exit altitude varied between 50 and 60 degrees below zero.

I'm sure that all the adventurers on the planned cold expeditions are fully briefed and prepared for that exact temperature exposure.

Not sure if 'joe-skydiver' would come to his/her DZ with such forethought and experience. I've come VERY close to frostbite on one particular occasion and am very happy to have learned from it and never wish to repeat it.

Hopefully those who wish to jump in cold weather will fully research it and gather information from people like you, Bill. Skydivers who are in-the-know who can direct them the proper way to go about such things. Thanks!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Not at my DZ. If you can pack it and you can hack it, you can jump it. I don't mind the cold so much in freefall, but I hate when my hands are too cold to pick up my micro lines after landing. I also like how we can put 5 jumpers in the cessna when it is colder.

Clint D-24352

I think they said there was a high risk of frost bite. Anyone ever heard of that?

I've heard of people getting frostbite. The story I heard was an unexpected cold spell somewhere in California. The jumpers just weren't bundled up enough, I guess.

It's been around -20 C a few days at altitude in my parts and we do OK with just a few extra layers. I'm so happy the suit I just bought has an extra insulating layer. Our hands and faces typically sting when we get to the ground but I guess as long as you're in pain, you haven't reached frostbite, right? :D

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Jumped yesterday with the temp at or below 20 F on the ground. B| only 8 people in the caravan! Made for a Fast climb and sweet jumps!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

When you're grounded, at least 6 months/year, because of this nasty weather condition called "winter", we seize every opportunity to jump.

Winter jumping is a funnny thing to do. Of course, we don't climb as high as we do during summer (we usually climb until the temperature reach -20c).

Landing in the snow is fun too! B|.

;)

Yves.

Temperatures rarely get much below freezing in Pitt Meadows, but it often gets to minus 20 at exit altitude.
On a practical note, we encourage students to do IADs or short free falls over the cold months, just to stay current.
Thick gloves can make it difficult to find handles and frozen hands are useless for pulling.
During the cold months I rarely jump unless it is with students. Tandem students are great at breaking the wind!
Hee! Hee!

Hopefully those who wish to jump in cold weather will fully research it and gather information from people like you, Bill. Skydivers who are in-the-know who can direct them the proper way to go about such things. Thanks!

ltdiver

Research?

That comes from jumping in August... it's too hot... September... it's still hot out... October? Oh it feels nice out!... November... I've got gloves in my bag if ya think ya need 'em... December... I've got gloves in my bag, can ya grab 'em fer me?
January...spot a bit further east... the lake looks cold! February..."I know it's only 15 degrees... lets do a nekkid jump! (ya got my gloves I loaned ya?)" March... "Saturdays gonna be forty-plus... Let's do ten-way!"

and so on.....

April... "I don't own gloves...those must be yours."

don't ask, learn from experience...

Chris

I don't have any info on that...but I do know that when my buddy and I were jumping last Friday it was right around -20C, and after he put 2 students out at like 3500ft and 4500ft, we were freaking FREEZING and had the pilot let us out at 6k instead of going all the way up. -Good decision at the time I think; we were both chattering and my fingers were getting numb. I did 2 more jumps that day at altitude, and determined that on that first load we just had the dang door open so long for each of the students that the Cessna just turned into a total icebox from which we were wanting to exit soon... :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

we won't take up tandems at my dz when it is colder than like 32 on the ground but the fun jumpers go upin all weather (heat)(or cold) it's just trying to find enough jumpers that brought warm clothes...

Just keep jumping all year round! I've jumped when its -35c at altitude but to be honest the only time I notice the cold is when under canopy with my hands on the toggles! I've also seen people have malfunctions as they could not deploy their main due to having cold hands, but if you prepare properly that should reduce the problem. At Langar we have a really good local rigger who puts togther excellent thermal jump suits.

. Besides the countryside looks really beautiful and the clear blue skys you get on a good day are lovely to behold.