themitchyone

I'm getting pushed out tomorrow!

Tomorrow I am doing level 6. My JM will push me out on exit, and I'm a little nervous about the tumbling exit. How many times will I tumble? After I arch, how long will it take to become stable? Any words of advice? Thanks!

-Michele
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

Make sure you enjoy the feeling and remember that exit!! The first time you go unstble is really memorable! I wish I could forget and do it again!
I totally love it. I am sure you will to! Just relax and arch... the ride will become stable almost instantly! :P

"We see the world just the way we are...

wow, that's harsh! They actually push you out?

I was nervous about my first unstable exit too (in static line progression, we called it the "bomb-out."). I was one of those students who (miraculously) hadn't been unstable yet before then, and I was worried that I might have to pull on my back if I couldn't get belly-down. But it was a piece of cake, really fun, and is still one of my favorite jump memories.

My guess is, you'll do great and you'll love it.

Like everyone said, arch and relax! I did a fron flip on my level seven jump and was stable in one turn.. You'll be fine.. Don't get nervous.. ENJOY IT! ;):D
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Stay all balled up and see if you can count to 45 before getting stable in a split second!;)

LMAO Yikes... that's one way to get stable really fast :P
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

You'll love the jump. It's hugely amusing to be spinning around out of control for a while and then just arch and whoopd, there you haev control again.

It'll give ya loads of confidence too. You'll begin to do stuff that might be a bit unstable and you'll know you have the know how to get stable again.

Best of luck and have fun :)

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

My first unstable exit gave me a great view of the big blue above. My thoughts were..."Wow, this doesn't look like the ground! Shit, I must be on my back."

I relaxed, rolled to by belly and had a great time there after ;)

Relaxing definately helps me as others have pointed out. Take their advice and know you will get stable a lot sooner than you expect once you arch.

:)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone... but unfortunately Perris Valley Skydiving called me this morning to tell me they had to reschedule everyone due to high winds!!! :(:(

I'll probably try for next weekend.

Perris Valley Skydiving called me this morning to tell me they had to reschedule everyone due to high winds!!! :(:(

Awww, another week to stress out about it!:ph34r:
Don't worry. Relax and and arch as they all have said, and you'll come right out of being unstable.;)
It will be something you will laugh:ph34r: at after you land!;)

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

yep. I was thinking bout jumping today too, but heard the santa anas this morning... I sure wouldn't want to land in that!

Maybe the winds will die down and you can jump tomorrow!

I jumped with Kai on my level 6, and it was an awesome jump. My favorite AFF jump next to level 8, which is the COOLEST!

Blue skies!

-Kris

wow, that's harsh! They actually push you out?

Heh...he's getting off light. I've seen a student facing out of an Otter door, hands firmly grasped to his ankles, as his instructor lightly, but literally, booted him out for his instability dive.

The guy spun twice, hit a hard arch, then was stable as a rock. He recoverd quick enough that I could still see it from where I was at in the plane.

I just wish I got to do that to my IAD students.;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Wel at least you are warned :) I've seen a couple SL progression students that needed to do the unstable exit dive get told: 'Nah, not this jump, We'll do it the next one'. Riiight..... Then they get pushed out unawares as soon as they get near the door. On the plus side: no time to get worried ' bout it!

I was told to grab my ankels and sit on my butt in the door, then I was kicked out. Way fun! Had to hold my ankels for about 4 revolutions then arch. No prob, and a big grin on my face!! Hadn't been unstable either, before that. I asked another jumper to give me a shove the next jump, to do it again!

And now, sometimes we do a two-way freefly exit sorta like that, but with linked arms. Just tumble for a bit then stabilize and do the rest of the dive.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I am also a student and have experienced 3 unstable exits....the first 2 were awsome...I was doing step exits and kept pushing off the strut..so I accidentally did back loops on exit and recovered beautifully by relaxing and arching....
My third unstable exit was a back loop right away...followed by more backloops....then I was looking at sky and knew I was on my back...so I tried bringing an arm in but screwed that up...then I began frieking out....my jumpmaster said at that point I began spinning on my back.....I tried to look at my altimeter but the wind must have blew the numbers off[:/]....I knew I was still on my back...but I had no altitude awarness....so I followed my pull rules and pulled on my back....yes, it hurt, but I lived...
When I landed my jumpmaster gave me a big hug and said he was proud of me....I could not understand that...I felt like I had screwed up my whole skydive....I didnot wave off and I was pissed at myself....he said he was proud of me for pulling on my back because he knew at a certain point I was in trouble.....and he as a jumpmaster has seen students pull way too low because they were afraid of pulling unstable....yes, I failed that skydive according to my progression card.....but I proved to myself that even under a complete panic I will still pull and pull on time.....
The biggest lesson I learned as upjumpers have already told you.....RELAX...RELAX...RELAX.....
You will do great!!!!;)

J.J

This was the point where I stopped being terrified and started being confident. Knowing you can recover from instability opens up the world to you. And as everyone here says, just relax. I know its hard to do, but you WILL get stable real quick. I'm sure you have done this trick, but, get a piece of card and cut out a symetrical human shape. Then fold it in half, with the fold line form the top of the head to the crutch, so the centre of gravity is obvious. Then chuck it in the air and see which way it orients itself to the ground.

You will flip over I promise. Unless you have a huge hunch on your back!

Good luck

As it turns out, I'm glad level 6 was rescheduled. The weather was beautiful yesterday at Perris. I was pushed out, and it raised my confidence level at seeing how quickly I became stable (my JM was very gentle with me, making sure I was ready. When I was in the elbows on knees position, he then gently pushed me out. For some reason I had this expectation that he would send me out the door unexpectantly! :S). Then I learned tracking for the first time, and my landing was great. All in all, a very successful day for me, and I'm happy :)
Now I'm starting to think about level 8... diving out... yikes! :P