Nightingale

First Solo!!!!!

Jump #13
Well, today was an interesting day. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I decided that I would feel more comfortable at a different dropzone for a little while. Rosa, a friend from online, was kind enough to meet me down at Elsinore so we could go play in the sky and I wouldn't be all alone at a new place.

She was running a little late, so I went into the office and took care of the paperwork. They looked over my logbook and told me I needed to do a coach jump before I was cleared to jump solo there. Fine by me. I didn't want my first solo to be at a new dropzone. That's a little scary, yes? So, they introduce me to Ed, one of their instructors. Ed went over my logbook and then we went over the skydive.

Rosa arrived at this point, so hugs and hellos and happy birthdays (to me!) were said. Ed and I were on a five minute call, so we had to hurry over to the plane. I did a gear check, and then Ed checked it for me too.

Rosa decided to do an observer ride, so she hopped into the co-pilot's seat. I was really nervous, so it was nice to have her along. Ed and I were last out, so we got to watch everyone else exit. Watching everyone go before you is fun, but kind of intimidating at the same time.

We did a floating exit out the door. I hesitated a bit too long, so I had to play catch-up with Ed. Eventually, I caught him, and, after playing with a bit of floating up and falling too fast, I managed to take grips for a second. At that point, it was about 7,000 feet, and Ed indicated for me to try to grip again. I was a little nervous, because the first grip had made me a bit unstable, so I waved no and tracked off at 6,000. Pulled at 5. Nice canopy.

For some reason, it seemed like the ground came up faster at Elsinore. Not sure if it was the wind around the buildings, or if it was that I was flying a 9 cell when I had been jumping a 7 cell for the last few jumps. I flared a bit too late. Not my best landing. I somehow managed to land on my butt. I've never done that before! LOL. I picked up my gear and caught a golf cart ride back in. Not my best skydive, but not my worst either.

Jump #14
Elsinore, CA After landing from jump #13, I decided that it was my turn to do a solo. I was feeling very comfortable at this dropzone, and feeling confident in myself that I could remain stable, altitude aware, and pull when I was supposed to. Plus, it was my birthday, dammit, so I wanted to do something independent, just for me.

Rosa and I hung out in the gear store for a bit, and then I went and manifested on the sunset load. Rosa was on the same load, doing a solo. She said she'd pull high, so I didn't have to be the last one out of the plane. On the ride up, I go over my emergency procedures several times. Just making sure I know where those handles are! I'm not nearly as nervous as I thought I'd be... I'm really ready for this!

I decided on doing a floating exit, because those seem to be the easiest for me... they're baby steps, you know? First, get out the door. For me, that's always been the hard part, but with a floating exit, I can get out the door, but don't have to let go yet... and once I'm out the door and feeling the wind on my face, letting go is easy.

I released the bar and fell out into the relative wind. Ahhhh. This is nice. Practice ripcord touch. Just want to make sure I know where it is. Okay. Alti check.

I did a few 180 and 360 turns, and then decided to have a little fun and did a barrel roll. Those are great fun!!! I tracked along the runway towards the lake for a bit. It was now about 7,000 feet. I never realized that I had quite so much time up here! I spent a few moments looking down and just watching the ground move towards me. I waved off and pulled at 5,000 like planned. Good canopy. Good control check.

Landing still needed some work. I flared a bit too late again, so I didn't have time to finish the flare. I'm going to be picking stickers out of my hands for a couple of days, but I didn't even notice that then.

For hours, I couldn't stop grinning.

Kris, you were so lovely and intelligent. It was such a pleasure meeting you, today. :)
I was so excited when Karl asked me to sit in the plane with him while you did your first jump. I knew that you would feel more comfy with a friend onboard, and I had never experienced an observer ride before! (I took cute pics of you...at the door, too.) It was so amazing to watch you in freefall when Karl dove the plane. We were flying alongside you! I couldn't believe it! The perspective was just unbelievable!

You know, you did a fabulous job, and you should be sooo proud that you conquered two difficult new experiences (new DZ and first solo). What a special day! I'm so very glad that we went. Congrats, again, cutie! ROSA :)

Way to go

My first jump at a new DZ I flared early and guess what (Butt-Landing) and that was on jump 34.

Keep up the fun

-----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------- If your not jumping your not living
LEARN TO LIVE (L2L)

Kris, you rock.

Told ya Elsinore was amazing! Lots of fun and lots of good vibes there, no doubt!!

And congratulations...this has been a rough week for you, and you're out of it now, and on your way.

Kick ass, lovely girl!!! I will be out there on Saturday - looking forward to giving you a hug!!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Congrats Nightingale on your first solo!
Don't forget you owe BEER!;)
And that smile will last awhile too.....:)

I had never experienced an observer ride before! ***

And Rosa? Ummmmm, you owe beer too...:ph34r:

Blue Ones,
Ed
AFF-I 94

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------In Reply To
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had never experienced an observer ride before!

And Rosa? Ummmmm, you owe beer too...

(Homer's voice) Doh! :o :ph34r:

OK, then, rules are rules ... B|